Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 66056 times)

Martin

Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #150 on: 23 March, 2015, 10:45:04 pm »
Route check ride done yesterday. No missing signposts or problems with the route found.
A couple of short temporary one-way passages controlled by temp traffic lights. But nothing
problematic. The little King's Lynn ferry ran according to schedule and no signs of upcoming
disruption of service posted. So looks all fine for Easter Saturday.

Any significant differences from 2014? - Now that I've entered :thumbsup:

no  ;) thanks btw

Martin

« Reply #151 on: 30 March, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
entries just crept over 90 will it make the ton? later entrants might get a Lindt bunny if I run out of the less expensive (but bigger  :P) Aldidl variety

weather looking the usual slog to Kings Lynn with payback time after HSM;

not had a daff report from the route yet  8)

« Reply #152 on: 02 April, 2015, 07:16:52 am »
First part of the journey to the flatlands today after work. Train from Bournemouth to Peterborough with a pedal through London thrown in. Still got a cold. But I am determined to get an Easter bunny, either brand will do.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #153 on: 02 April, 2015, 08:32:00 pm »
Should be plenty of daffodils this year idea weather and there is 50 different species of daffodils. We should see some dykes aswell.We might even see some wild daffodils that grow at the side of the dykes.

« Reply #154 on: 02 April, 2015, 08:33:08 pm »
From local bike rides it seems to be a bumper year for daffs this year.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Martin

« Reply #155 on: 02 April, 2015, 09:48:19 pm »
99 riders  :)
 actually over 100 entries as I've scratched a couple of DNS;

a reminder the "control" is the top car park nearest town; my helper and I will split riders' cards into A-G and H-Z for speedy dispatch of cards / bunnies,

I'm assured parking is £2 all day; the only place you are likely to find free parking is a couple of k up the route

weather / wind looking very typical  8)

« Reply #156 on: 02 April, 2015, 10:30:05 pm »
I'll be in my new orange blobby thing (not the one in my avatar), i've only had it 6 weeks and only managed 500 miles in it, in fact i've only done 500 miles in the past year, i'm sort of looking forward to the ride, if my legs survive i'll be a happy man.

I won't be using the ferry as i don't fancy carrying a very expensive 24kg machine down steps in cleats, despite it looking canoe like it doesn't float, well not for long anyway!

cheers

Ian

« Reply #157 on: 02 April, 2015, 10:59:58 pm »
No preparation whatsoever apart from a couple of 100k.
+1

« Reply #158 on: 02 April, 2015, 11:40:04 pm »
No preparation whatsoever apart from a couple of 100k.
+1
Maybe too much preparation  :-\
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #159 on: 04 April, 2015, 10:17:38 pm »
Lovely ride although a tad windy on the way to Kings Lynn. Thank you Martin for organising this the route was great, even though I was tempted to finish at Thorney I carried on and can sleep with the satisfaction of knowing I completed what I set out to do. Legs are killing me though.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #160 on: 04 April, 2015, 10:30:52 pm »
Oh no! I carried my bunny all the way round. I think I enjoyed it more than the only other time I rode it (two years ago). This time I had two Costa stops, the ferry ride, cycled a lot of it with a good companion (nightrider), and spent an hour in the George at the end, having soup and a pint of beer (could have drank more, but then I wouldn't have cycled home). Cold beer waiting in the fridge now. Thanks Martin!

« Reply #161 on: 04 April, 2015, 10:32:42 pm »
Great ride, my first 200 since July (sciatica).Hard slog up to Kings Lynn, but Bikerbilityman dragged me up. Nice ferry ride despite nearly falling down the steps. Then my bowels turned to liquid and had to stop at Spalding to find a loo.Dragged my white face self to Thorne and ate a bag of Walkers crisps and drank a milk shake.Then met a strong group of riders who helped me back to the finish. Never underestimate the kindness of the AUK riders! The pint and chat at the George was nice as well ;D

« Reply #162 on: 04 April, 2015, 10:43:23 pm »
Great ride, my first 200 since July (sciatica).Hard slog up to Kings Lynn, but Bikerbilityman dragged me up. Nice ferry ride despite nearly falling down the steps. Then my bowels turned to liquid and had to stop at Spalding to find a loo.Dragged my white face self to Thorne and ate a bag of Walkers crisps and drank a milk shake.Then met a strong group of riders who helped me back to the finish. Never underestimate the kindness of the AUK riders! The pint and chat at the George was nice as well ;D
You disappeared in the George. I turned back round after chatting with someone, and you'd vanished. It was great to meet you, and remember: a 200 every month now!

« Reply #163 on: 05 April, 2015, 01:36:42 pm »
I did this last year and enjoyed the ride despite the tough headwids.  This year I was accompanied by a friend 'because it was flat'.  He didn't realise that riding on the flat is actually quite tough as your legs never get micro rests when cruising down hill.  I'd also say you have to be mentally tough as well as the long straight roads can be a bit wearing.  I'm particularly thinking of the road south of Whittlsey.

The wind was tough going up to King' Lynn and then we was robbed as the 16-20 mph headwind became a trivial 4 mph tail wind.

We enjoyed chips in Thorney.  If I ride again next year I'm going to give the retail park a miss and aim for a cafe in Spalding itself.

I had two close misses by cars entering Huntingdon.  One a car tried to turn left across the cycle path just as I was  starting to cross the road.  The second at the left turn where we cut across the road shortly before the finish, a car behind me at the traffic lights tried to overtake on the bend and had to stomp on his brakes when he finally realised I was going straight on.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #164 on: 05 April, 2015, 11:47:33 pm »
After my comments above, I really tried to enjoy the bit to Holbeach St Matthew, but without much success ;) Spalding to Crowland is still the best bit really.

I didn't really have the legs for this. I enjoyed the bit into the wind, almost all the way to King's Lynn, and was pleased to get there in four hours. Somewhere after Nordelph, I picked up another rider who was having a rough patch, and towed him for a bit. Then he towed me into Lynn as I tired. He was a resident, so offered me beans on toast at his flat :thumbsup:

After that I was OK into Walpole Cross Keys, but after that he nursed me round, adding what must have been an hour to his time. Much appreciated if you're reading this. We finished just after lighting up time.

It really was rather unfair to do 75 miles into the wind, only to have it drop...

The day before, I had marshalled a sponsored walk, mostly on cycle paths. A four or five year old got round seven or eight miles on a balance bike, and was still grinning at the end. I reckon we've a future Audax rider there ;D

Martin

« Reply #165 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:07:50 pm »
just back from a great weekend; no ride today after yesterday's Black Magic  :o

we had 77 riders on the road with AFAICT just one DNF. I've just donated £1 per rider to Help for Heroes by way of thanks to the Lynn ferry operators who did a sterling job getting us all on and off the ferries;

next year's event will be on the slightly earlier March 27th 2016, so no tulips that will have to wait until 2017  8)

many thanks to Lars at the finish too  :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #166 on: 06 April, 2015, 10:30:58 pm »
The day before, I had marshalled a sponsored walk, mostly on cycle paths. A four or five year old got round seven or eight miles on a balance bike, and was still grinning at the end. I reckon we've a future Audax rider there ;D
Fab. :)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #167 on: 07 April, 2015, 08:36:34 am »
A great ride and a great day out. As expected, the pesky headwind made itself felt on the way out to Kings Lynn but was never actually that bad. It then did the standard Audax thing of dropping and turning as we headed back so became a slight crosswind.  ::-)

I bobbed and bounced along with several small groups until about halfway through the first leg where I was passed by a train consisting of John Greenways and Orange Andy (OTP I believe) and several others - Adam, Luke and Emma. I decided to jump on but they were setting a furious pace and I was about to slide graciously off the back when they too decided to ease up. It then settled into something we could all hold nicely and I spent the rest of the ride in their great company with everyone taking a share of the work.

We had a fab (and leisurely) café stop in Lynn with some wonderful homemade sausage rolls and quiche then decided against the ferry and used to road route out to Holbeach. At Spalding we also used some local knowledge to stop a the garden centre instead of the official control and then a great run back to Huntingdon for a nice easy finish about 18.15 and a well deserved pint!

Thanks guys for the great company, to Lars for manning the control and to Martin for another thoroughly nice day out. I definitely recommend this ride - what it lacks in hills (less than 200m climbing recorded for the entire route!) it more than makes up for in sociability.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #168 on: 09 April, 2015, 02:35:44 pm »
Having joined this forum I can now add my two peneth. I was initially anxious about this as it was my longest ride to date. However off I went into the great unknown but soon found some riders at my pace. Found it pretty windy to kings Lynn but it soon dropped off after. Some how missed the windmill at Moulton as went on the main road to spalding where I stopped at maccyD for sustenance. Enjoyed the bit down to Crowland and was impressed with the Abbey.
Got back to Huntingdon just avoiding a motorcycle vs car accident and sunk a pint and a half of Guinness.
Thoroughly enjoyed my day and the company and look forward to my next 200.