Author Topic: Pen-y-Pass onna lowracer  (Read 7862 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Pen-y-Pass onna lowracer
« Reply #25 on: 28 September, 2010, 04:38:12 pm »
...while the climb to Pen-y-Pass may be feasible on a fixie, the descent would be a nightmare.  And not in a good way.  What's the point in that?

FTFY :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 28 September, 2010, 04:40:57 pm »
How about Pen-y-pass onna penny? Sounds much better.

I think that's well into "insane, but has to be done" territory.  And in spite of my alleged success at Knutsford I'm not volunteering.  I wonder if there's anyone around here who might be suited to the challenge...   ;D

Chris N

« Reply #27 on: 28 September, 2010, 04:41:56 pm »
...while the climb to Pen-y-Pass may be feasible on a fixie, the descent would be a nightmare.  And not in a good way.  What's the point in that?

FTFY :)

Where's that video of MV trying to keep up with Tuggo?

It's actually rather good fun spinning down there on fixed, as long as you don't need to stop part way to stretch the cramp out of your calves. :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 28 September, 2010, 04:43:29 pm »
On a related note, I had cramp in my *shin* on the descent into Llanberis on Friday morning.  I didn't think that was even possible.   ???

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »
How about Pen-y-pass onna penny? Sounds much better.

I think that's well into "insane, but has to be done" territory.  And in spite of my alleged success at Knutsford I'm not volunteering.  I wonder if there's anyone around here who might be suited to the challenge...   ;D

Will you please both stop it this instant?  I can be dared into a variety of wildly stoopid and dangerous things, but taking an ordinary to Snowdonia is likely to result in a bruised and broken Charlotte...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:17:34 pm »
You say that, but I know full well that it's the train journey that's really putting you off...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »
;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:51:14 pm »
Very cool! An interesting camera angle would have been from one of the W-bound walkers as the 3 'devices' flew past (with Snowdon majestic in the background).

What was the black, airship-like dot in the sky to the east?

Even more OT:
Why do people walk up the road from the East? Looks miserable. I assume it's on some useful route, but i'd rather approach Pen-y-Pass from Snowdon or the Glyders.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 28 September, 2010, 05:58:32 pm »
What was the black, airship-like dot in the sky to the east?

Video artefact caused by the sun.  The camera couldn't cope with the metaphysical dichotomy of it being visible over north Wales, so chose to render those pixels as zero.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #34 on: 28 September, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »
Why do people walk up the road from the East? Looks miserable. I assume it's on some useful route, but i'd rather approach Pen-y-Pass from Snowdon or the Glyders.

There's quite a bit of parking down by the Pen y Gwryd which is just off the A5 at Capel Curig, or Beddgelert in the other direction. I've walked up there and it's surprisingly quick and easy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:31:13 am »

There's quite a bit of parking down by the Pen y Gwryd which is just off the A5 at Capel Curig, or Beddgelert in the other direction. I've walked up there and it's surprisingly quick and easy.
So these are people who couldn't find parking spaces up at the col? That would make sense (never had the problem myself, but it's a few years since I've been. Surprising on a Friday, too).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:33:33 am »
You say that, but I know full well that it's the train journey that's really putting you off...

Well the answer to that is obvious: Ride out from London! ;)

EDIT:  Rapid Retraction Force deployed.  We do not want a bruised or broken Charlotte :-*
Getting there...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #37 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:19:56 pm »
I see that a Streetmachine is clearly faster than a Baron....   ;D

I was interested to see how much handlebar wobbling you had to do at low speed.  My Frankenbent probably has as much tiller as the Baron and I find it really offputting.  But it would seem that I just need to get out there and get used to it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:37:03 pm »
I see that a Streetmachine is clearly faster than a Baron....   ;D

Only on the hills.   ;)

I was interested to see how much handlebar wobbling you had to do at low speed.  My Frankenbent probably has as much tiller as the Baron and I find it really offputting.  But it would seem that I just need to get out there and get used to it.

From my brief play, I'd say the Baron became less scary at speed, only that's clearly untrue.  It does become a lot less wobbly, though.

I think it's like folding bikes:  They're twitchy as hell until you get used to it, stop worrying and learn to love the wobble.

« Reply #39 on: 29 September, 2010, 09:47:33 pm »
learn to love the wobble.

A wobblebike FTW. :D

« Reply #40 on: 29 September, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
Good video  :) just watched it again, the 480p is very watchable in full-screen.