Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526262 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2650 on: 19 September, 2017, 09:31:42 am »
On a different note - has anyone been thinking about the Ridley Ride?

The pubs and points have been revealed.  A quick fiddle with Google Maps (unchecked for COR etc. apart from where I dragged it away from the Flitch Way) came up with this route - 36 miles, 46 points.  (Not shown is the second 3 point Felsted pub, since Google maps has a limit on the number of waypoints.)  I haven't checked that Google hasn't sent it down any non-existent roads (I know there is some private track or other north of Braintree/Great Notley that it has sent routes donw in the past).

Not sure how tight it will be for time given the 5 hour limit and requirement to buy something in each pub, though.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2651 on: 19 September, 2017, 12:31:35 pm »
I fancy the 200km and doing a 200 ECE to the Silly Suffolk :facepalm:
That makes at least 4 ACME riders on the Silly Suffolk rides, Mr T will be pleased. Why not ECE the 200 and join us instead of the 100  ;D
I  think what Carlos meant above Huggy is that he will ride the 200km Silly Suffolk + a 200 KM ECE...what a legend  ;D

Hold the legend status, unfortunately I can't, make the Suffolk rides, it's the Rich Ellis and Cambridge Autumnal instead, ECEs  depending on weather and legs.

« Reply #2652 on: 19 September, 2017, 01:01:26 pm »
Let's not forget that Huggy is riding the Santa Special on fixed and he is so cool that he hasn't even bought the bike yet  8) 8) 8)

Doubtless Fandango will be dusting off his fixed machine for the occasion as well.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2653 on: 19 September, 2017, 01:43:50 pm »
Huggy is going to get a Fixed bike as well  :thumbsup: They are taking over...awesome.

I actually had a moment on the Flatlands (on day one while I was still roughly 'with it') where I suddenly though I had just been freewheeling for about 5 minutes...obviously it was not the case but I guess that is a pretty good place to be as far as becoming one with the fixed gear goes. I must also say, the 78" is actually getting quite enjoyable to ride, much nicer going down, slightly more laborious on the way up but on the flat it is much easier to hold a reasonable pace. That said, with winter approaching it won't be long until the 69" goes back on I suspect it will be after the Suffolk Byways ride.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2654 on: 19 September, 2017, 02:25:42 pm »

The pubs and points have been revealed.  A quick fiddle with Google Maps (unchecked for COR etc. apart from where I dragged it away from the Flitch Way) came up with this route - 36 miles, 46 points.  (Not shown is the second 3 point Felsted pub, since Google maps has a limit on the number of waypoints.)  I haven't checked that Google hasn't sent it down any non-existent roads (I know there is some private track or other north of Braintree/Great Notley that it has sent routes donw in the past).

Not sure how tight it will be for time given the 5 hour limit and requirement to buy something in each pub, though.

Best I came up with was 100km on not very nice and potentially busy roads & some COR to get 79 points (missing out Grt Bardfield) problem is, if you allow just 5 mins to buy something at each then thats an hour gone in faff, not sure how much a packet of crisps or nuts will cost but you're probably talking about £15-£18 paid to the pubs gathering stuff you might not actually eat/drink then it's quite an expensive trip around the area! 

I'm still thinking about it, but I might just go and ride Blaxhall Audax the following day for no points but pleasant memories...  however there is something about riding between pubs which is attractive if I can keep my competitive side in check!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2655 on: 19 September, 2017, 03:01:30 pm »

Best I came up with was 100km on not very nice and potentially busy roads & some COR to get 79 points (missing out Grt Bardfield)

I got 108km to include all pubs, no main roads except for a short bit of A120 near Stisted, and only one bridlepath that I believe is paved. Assuming 25km/h average, that allows 40 minutes for all 13 stops. 3 mins per pub. Not achievable ... or is it ...

I'm not decided yet on my participation. Heading to Kent the following day, so may be up for a leisurely ride if the weather is nice.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2656 on: 19 September, 2017, 03:30:25 pm »
I'm still thinking about it, but I might just go and ride Blaxhall Audax the following day for no points but pleasant memories...  however there is something about riding between pubs which is attractive if I can keep my competitive side in check!
Blaxhall is on the same day, the 30th

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2657 on: 19 September, 2017, 04:00:55 pm »
Blaxhall is on the same day, the 30th

Thanks for the reminder! Could have been an embarrassing journey to the start!  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2658 on: 21 September, 2017, 07:12:43 am »
Huggy is going to get a Fixed bike as well  :thumbsup: They are taking over...awesome.
That is a rumour started and propagated by Ted, it has no reality at present  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2659 on: 21 September, 2017, 09:17:05 am »
That is a rumour started and propagated by Ted, it has no reality at present  ::-)

You need a BJ.

« Reply #2660 on: 21 September, 2017, 09:36:52 am »

You need a BJ.
Don't we all  :facepalm:

« Reply #2661 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:16:01 am »

[/quote]

Only because you haven't bought your Flyer yet...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2662 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:17:31 am »

Only because you haven't bought your Flyer yet...
[/quote]

BJs are cheaper.

« Reply #2663 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:38:26 am »

BJs are cheaper.
]

I'll have to take your word for that  :o

« Reply #2664 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:02:00 pm »
Seems to be a few issues with quotes in the previous few posts ... possibly a training need?  :demon:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2665 on: 21 September, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »

Doubtless Fandango will be dusting off his fixed machine for the occasion as well.

I know there`s not much to do on Mersey Island for entertainment, but try and stay off the magic mushrooms ted.

« Reply #2666 on: 21 September, 2017, 01:50:24 pm »
You did promise though  :thumbsup:

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2667 on: 21 September, 2017, 01:56:58 pm »
You did promise though  :thumbsup:

Really? When was that? In a parallel universe maybe?

« Reply #2668 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:42:13 pm »
at some point on a road somewhere riding an event - so yes, a parallel universe

You told me you had an old fixed bike somewhere that you would dust down if you could find the parts.  I suppose if you had it in your 30s or 40s it would be a fairly vintage machine now.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2669 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »

You told me you had an old fixed bike somewhere that you would dust down if you could find the parts.  I suppose if you had it in your 30s or 40s it would be a fairly vintage machine now.

We worked out yesterday evening 'fandango was the 4th oldest MEMWNS / ACME rider.  From memory it goes something like this:

Tomsk (oldest) - 60 this year
Grey Sheep - 60 sometime next year
BFC - 54 next January
'fandango - 54 on 7th February
Me - 54 on 27th February

« Reply #2670 on: 21 September, 2017, 03:18:08 pm »
Don't believe a word he says.  Somewhere in his attic there is a painting of fandango that is doing his ageing for him.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2671 on: 21 September, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »

We worked out yesterday evening 'fandango was the 4th oldest MEMWNS / ACME rider.  From memory it goes something like this:

Tomsk (oldest) - 60 this year
Grey Sheep - 60 sometime next year
BFC - 54 next January
'fandango - 54 on 7th February
Me - 54 on 27th February

Perhaps I was talking about dusting off my Penny Farthing?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2672 on: 21 September, 2017, 03:30:04 pm »
There's life in us old dogs yet!  Some of us can still show the youngsters a clean pair of heels!

« Reply #2673 on: 21 September, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »
With that age profile I'm thinking that I should apply to join the club's junior section

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2674 on: 21 September, 2017, 03:48:02 pm »
Perhaps Andy the Beer Bitch should start checking photo ID to guard against under age drinking.

I've just remembered, those of you who weren't present yesterday evening won't have seen the BB's new order pad!  He has it on long term loan from one of the establishments he visits in his other professional capacity.