Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526359 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2775 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:52:36 am »
The Mountains of Essex
For some reason the mountain guide has Cabin Hill as a higher peak

If you mean the numbering on the linked page,  I think that's just alphabetical order - e.g. clicking into the pages for the peaks gives Cabin Hill elevation @ 90m comapred to Chrishall Common @ 147m.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2776 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:56:08 am »
I think the minimum flap order is about a dozen.
Depending upon surplus funds in the ACME coffers a minimum order could be made up and spares held in stock for future new steeds.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2777 on: 30 October, 2017, 10:57:34 am »
I'll take a rear flap.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2778 on: 30 October, 2017, 12:50:02 pm »
I'll take a rear flap.

How about another 2 for your caravan?

« Reply #2779 on: 30 October, 2017, 12:50:50 pm »
The Mountains of Essex

If you mean the numbering on the linked page,  I think that's just alphabetical order - e.g. clicking into the pages for the peaks gives Cabin Hill elevation @ 90m comapred to Chrishall Common @ 147m.

That would explain it. Small oversight on my part, assuming the more logical ordering in height order.

I'm still impressed that Essex has 5 mountains!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2780 on: 30 October, 2017, 12:52:35 pm »
I'll take a rear flap.

How about another 2 for your caravan?

Jealousy is a terrible thing  :o

« Reply #2781 on: 30 October, 2017, 12:56:02 pm »
Maybe we could devise a mountains an Valleys ride to complement the rivers and reservoirs rides. I wonder if it would attract any AAA points?

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2782 on: 30 October, 2017, 12:58:04 pm »
The Mountains of Essex

Great Chishill is on the route of the Manningtree 200 perm, a route I heartily recommend, probably the hilliest Essex Audax. The village is just North of the common and is actually in Cambridgeshire. So there......

« Reply #2783 on: 30 October, 2017, 01:51:36 pm »
Maybe we could devise a mountains an Valleys ride to complement the rivers and reservoirs rides. I wonder if it would attract any AAA points?

I've been considering for a while trying to pull together a ride wholly in Essex that would get the AAA points. That task is marginally easier knowing where all the mountains are, but the peaks are quite dispersed. Just north of Havering there's some hilly terrain which would be good for part of the route, but it would need to link up with other lumpy areas for a decent ride, rather than a gratuitous ride zigzagging up and down an escarpment.

« Reply #2784 on: 30 October, 2017, 01:55:37 pm »
The Mountains of Essex

Great Chishill is on the route of the Manningtree 200 perm, a route I heartily recommend, probably the hilliest Essex Audax. The village is just North of the common and is actually in Cambridgeshire. So there......

Does it not also feature on the Windmill Ride ?

« Reply #2785 on: 30 October, 2017, 02:02:58 pm »
Hi all.

I'll buy a pair of ACME mudguard flaps, if there's an order.

I'm in for 3Rs so maybe see some of you Saturday.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2786 on: 30 October, 2017, 02:06:53 pm »
The Mountains of Essex

Does it not also feature on the Windmill Ride ?

It does.  (Or at least did back when I rode it).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2787 on: 30 October, 2017, 02:18:24 pm »
The Mountains of Essex

Depends on how far back you go (I recall Wilkyboy mentioning), "Until 1895, Chishill was in Essex but then the boundary was changed and it became Cambridgeshire, however the church is still in the Diocese of Chelmsford."
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2788 on: 30 October, 2017, 06:49:12 pm »
The Mountains of Essex

Depends on how far back you go (I recall Wilkyboy mentioning), "Until 1895, Chishill was in Essex but then the boundary was changed and it became Cambridgeshire, however the church is still in the Diocese of Chelmsford."

Even I don`t quite go back to 1895!

We`d have to do very well to get AAA points and stay in Essex, what hills there are, are quite slight and a fair way apart.

« Reply #2789 on: 30 October, 2017, 07:10:22 pm »
We`d have to do very well to get AAA points and stay in Essex, what hills there are, are quite slight and a fair way apart.

I've just done a quick attempt at a route in the Abridge/Toot Hill area, and got to 550m of climbing in 50km. It needs to be 750m of climbing as a minimum for that distance. I think it is going to be possible.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2790 on: 30 October, 2017, 08:10:15 pm »

I've just done a quick attempt at a route in the Abridge/Toot Hill area, and got to 550m of climbing in 50km. It needs to be 750m of climbing as a minimum for that distance. I think it is going to be possible.

If anyone can find hills, you can. Keep trying.....

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2791 on: 31 October, 2017, 02:11:07 am »
ACME mudflaps...

Does everyone just want rear flaps or front flaps too?

« Reply #2792 on: 31 October, 2017, 05:42:14 am »
ECE time allowed

Following a discussion with Carlos & Bernster yesterday regarding the time allowed for an ECE, and whether the calendar ride is included in the calculation of time at the minimum speed, I found the following on aukweb, which is quite categoric:

The overall minimum speed for the ECE Perm + Calendar event will be 14.3km/hr irrespective of the minimum speed of the calendar event itself.

To determine the distance, you need to take the points distance of the calendar event (eg 100km for an over-distance 115km event) and add the minimum distance of the ECE (so a mandatory route 105km ECE would count as 105km). So with these examples, the time allowed would be 205k at 14.3km/h, which is just over 14 hours.

For those ECE'ing the winter series event, this will be a useful reminder.

Following an update from Martin on another thread, the details on aukweb are not current.

The distance calculation if you are following a mandatory route AND looking to submit a route that includes both the calendar ride and ECE before the event only needs to be the points distance; the nominal distance of the calendar ride is not used in this scenario.

So in the example of the calendar ride being 115km, the ECE must be at least 85km. The route submitted beforehand must total 200km or more. When being validated, the calendar ride part of the route does not need to be followed exactly, only the ECE portion. In total the ride must have been more than 200km, so if an issue (eg road closure) forces the calendar ride to be shortened, an extra distance needs to be ridden to ensure the total distance is achieved.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2793 on: 08 November, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »
I have just renewed my AUK membership.  £14 seems a small price to pay for not doing audaxes or earning any points  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2794 on: 08 November, 2017, 05:19:15 pm »
I have just renewed my AUK membership.  £14 seems a small price to pay for not doing audaxes or earning any points  :thumbsup:
you did one last weekend!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2795 on: 08 November, 2017, 05:28:46 pm »

No I didn't.  I had a nice ride and went further on BJ than ever before but I missed the Stock (couldn't be arsed to turn left) and Danbury (didn't seem much point) controls and haven't submitted my brevet.  DNF  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2796 on: 08 November, 2017, 05:31:43 pm »

No I didn't.  I had a nice ride and went further on BJ than ever before but I missed the Stock (couldn't be arsed to turn left) and Danbury (didn't seem much point) controls and haven't submitted my brevet.  DNF  :thumbsup:
but you entered and paid to ride your bike on public roads that would otherwise have been zero cost to your Great British Pound beer tokens

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2797 on: 08 November, 2017, 05:42:03 pm »
My dedication to ACME knows no bounds.

« Reply #2798 on: 09 November, 2017, 09:08:23 am »
Kirsty MacColl knew a guy down the chip shop who swore he was Elvis.  Last night, when we arrived at the pub, there was an old bloke sitting in the corner, cackling to himself who swore he had ridden LEL.  He even had the jersey !  We humoured the poor old duffer and let him join in with us though. 

The night had begun normally enough with a good sized contingent assembling at Spa; OD, the Hustler, Hotblack, Tomsk, Stanners Kiwi, Grey Sheep and the Lord Oakington all tore off into the darkness leaving me puffing away behind - I did actually have to check I hadn't turned up on time trial night by mistake.  What made it all the more galling was that Tomsk had turned up on what looked like a small road roller and was carrying a selection of garden tools, I am sure I saw a full size scythe sticking out his saddle bag and very possibly a small lawnmower.  We managed to avoid the COR that had been carelessly left in the route when I cobbled it together 2 years ago and arrived at the Donkey & Buskins in reasonable time.

This was a new pub to nearly all of us and it was a lot nicer inside than we had anticipated.  The only downside was a limited selection of ales.  Firelight by St Peter's won the Quaffers Choice by default but it would have been a winner most nights anyway.  Of course some of our more irresponsible members took the limited selection as an excuse to go seriously off piste; OD was lost in the wine list for a good half hour before choosing his vintage, Oaky went for Tia Maria and Guinness, Stanners slipped back into his old ways with a cider and LEL Elvis mumbled something about meths so we gave him a Guinness as well.  It is fortunate that the Hustler now comes equipped with a waiter's pad and his very own Kitty Kitty pen.  He was also able, yet again, to charm the barmaid into delivering the beers for him.  He seems to be labouring under the misapprehension that he has been elevated to some sort of executive position.

As well as planning what will hopefully become a couple of new ACME rides, we discussed something to do with broadband, Epiphany and Wales.  We also held the first meeting of the MEMWNS caravan club.  Sadly the conversation had to be cut short when our diversity officer Oaky was forced to step in to caution OD about his behaviour.  Oaky is now designing a series of cultural awareness workshops, attendance at which will be compulsory.

It hadn't got any warmer outside while we sat in the pub so it was a cold ride home.  Tomsk probably had a brazier in his saddlebag as well so he would have been alright.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2799 on: 09 November, 2017, 09:33:42 am »
You forgot to mention that Monday evening could see us all on the telly. An email that I didn’t realise I had until this morning reveals that Hannah, the lady who phoned me, is an assistant producer on The One Show. Later on today I shall be getting in touch with huggy to tell him about his next IT challenge.