Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526272 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5225 on: 17 June, 2022, 09:30:53 pm »
And now at the Chatteris contro :thumbsup: 

Proper fenland!

Any excuse to post this  8) :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5226 on: 17 June, 2022, 09:47:03 pm »
Now stopped at Glews Garage

« Reply #5227 on: 17 June, 2022, 11:29:24 pm »
Flying along, back south of the M180 now.

felstedrider

« Reply #5228 on: 18 June, 2022, 12:15:27 am »
Past Kirton Lindsey and towards Lincoln.  Let’s try to guess at the sleep strategy.

Just got back from a gig in Thetford Forest.  The lady running the coffee van was the same as the coffee van at Burnham Deepdale and she remembered us arriving on Green and Yellow Fields last year.

« Reply #5229 on: 18 June, 2022, 07:40:30 am »
Now south of Kirton on the way to Spalding

« Reply #5230 on: 18 June, 2022, 09:17:50 am »
Heading into Thorney.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5231 on: 18 June, 2022, 11:05:10 am »
lady running the coffee van was the same as the coffee van at Burnham Deepdale and she remembered us arriving on Green and Yellow Fields last year.

Was disappointed she wasn't at Burnham this year
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5232 on: 18 June, 2022, 02:48:23 pm »
Looks like he's going well, just past New Market, did he sleep?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5233 on: 18 June, 2022, 05:29:23 pm »
In the pub as of 9 mins ago.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5234 on: 18 June, 2022, 05:48:22 pm »
lady running the coffee van was the same as the coffee van at Burnham Deepdale and she remembered us arriving on Green and Yellow Fields last year.

Was disappointed she wasn't at Burnham this year

Now the cafe has re opened (under new management) the arrangements using "event" companies are not needed, and would conflict with the cafe trade. Glad to hear that at least one of the event companies survived the lockdowns, they are nice people. Shame the opening hours of the cafe are not as flexible as the stand ins.

felstedrider

« Reply #5235 on: 18 June, 2022, 06:31:11 pm »
Rode out and picked up Tomsk, Mick and Nick near Clare and accompanied them back to the finish.

I’m sure Nick will be along to update us later on.

« Reply #5236 on: 19 June, 2022, 11:15:26 pm »
Hello all,

Yes - it all went well and good to meet up with felstedrider on the return!

So, my first 600 - I'll write this up on the blog with all the details, but a quick summary here.

We left at just gone 0700 and I immediately noticed the pace was up - probably due to our welcome tailwind! The journey north to Goole was very pleasant overall but very, very hot, with my Wahoo topping out at 40C during a stop where it sat in the sun. I think the moving temp got up to around 32 - it was hot! Quite early on in the journey, I wasn't sure I was going to make it - I thought I was going to throw up. Think that might have been at the Sleaford control. Anyway, Tomsk suggest I ate something, so I went into the shop looking for nourishment and came out with a pastie, yoghurt drink and a bag of salted crisps (Tomk's idea, since I was sweating salt, it seemed).

A rest there, and a guy on a two stroke scooter enveloping us all with exhaust as he started up, and we were away - I felt much better. We headed north and eventually the heat gave way to a very pleasant cool evening, the wind changed direction (Gainsborough way?) and we had some headwind to push through until reaching Goole and visiting the control there. After that is was back south, with the wind on our back again - very convenient!

We reached the audax hotel around 0100, bedding down at about 0115 with Tomsk's alarm set for 0300. Glad I did it for the experience since I've always wondered what bigger distances with very little in the way of creature comforts would be like and it is exactly how I imagined it: grim. But it was at the same time, fun.

The next day was all good, though I had odd apetite issues, unable to finish my meal in Whittlesey, which is most unlike me as I'm always keen to eat usually.

The hills from about 500km were a bit of a challenge when I was alone after lagging behind following the stopping for bushes, but it was fine once back with the other two, who were kind enough to wait for me once they realised I'd never catch them! The only things I suffered from were sore feet and numbness, which meant I needed to modify my riding style with lots of toe wiggling and out-of-the-saddleness toward the end of the ride. I got on the front when i could and managed to judge the pace a little better this time, after not exactly nailing that on the Easter Arrow - this time, I had my mirror though, which was a big help!

It was good to see Rob toward the end who loked very fresh and comfortable. It was a good reminder that cycling can be enjoyable! I'm joking there :-D

So, all in all, a wonderful trip, with many thanks to Tomsk and Mick for everything. I couldn't have asked for finer companions on my first 600!

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Almost forgot, pics here:

https://cobwebs.duckdns.org/nextcloud/s/gTdapi9b2wktaoR

And it was great to read all of your comments when I got home, thanks to Rob for letting me know about them. If any of you have an old phone and want to set it up as an inexpensive tracker - let me know or visit https://new.spotwalla.com/

« Reply #5237 on: 20 June, 2022, 08:06:30 am »
Morning!
Nick, good effort! And nice photos:) thanks for a good bike ride.
Thanks to Tom of course, see you next weekend in Dunmow.
Mick
Zijn specialiteit was sprinten om de zesde plaats

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5238 on: 20 June, 2022, 08:28:12 am »
Grand effort, well done!  :thumbsup:

Suspect the appetite issue was probably dehydration related - I remember being so dehydrated on one Hereward (first one I think) that all I could manage when I got to Biggleswade was a mug of tea with lots of sugar in it.  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5239 on: 20 June, 2022, 08:34:08 am »
Gut issues during exercise

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3141050/

Most of use think we have a cast iron constitution till we ride the longer audaxes.

« Reply #5240 on: 20 June, 2022, 08:56:05 am »
Well done, good effort.

Interested in your spotwalla setup. What capacity battery pack did you use to power your iPhone running the tracking app (and to also power your Wahoo)?

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #5241 on: 20 June, 2022, 03:26:19 pm »
Well done on your first 600 Nick. Be careful though, next thing you know you'll be in Paris preparing to ride 1200km  :).
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5242 on: 20 June, 2022, 04:01:09 pm »
Great Stuff Nick, this enthusiasm for dot watching is catching on!

Though the heat was tough for us, I think Team Grey Sheep caught more rain up north than we did on Saturday. There was even a shower late in the day to welcome them back to Dunmow.

Very much appreciated felstedrider meeting us near Clare, we were flagging a bit by then.

felstedrider

« Reply #5243 on: 21 June, 2022, 02:38:53 pm »
I had rather forgotten about psyclist's latest adventure so went to have a look.

He's showing on the tracker as scratched but I haven't seen him post anywhere.   Hope all is OK.

« Reply #5244 on: 21 June, 2022, 03:01:33 pm »
I had rather forgotten about psyclist's latest adventure so went to have a look.

He's showing on the tracker as scratched but I haven't seen him post anywhere.   Hope all is OK.

He is back home but was ill and needed to abandon.

« Reply #5245 on: 21 June, 2022, 10:14:21 pm »
Morning!
Nick, good effort! And nice photos:) thanks for a good bike ride.
Thanks to Tom of course, see you next weekend in Dunmow.
Mick
And the same to you - it was a pleasure riding with you, Mick!

« Reply #5246 on: 21 June, 2022, 10:15:45 pm »
Grand effort, well done!  :thumbsup:

Suspect the appetite issue was probably dehydration related - I remember being so dehydrated on one Hereward (first one I think) that all I could manage when I got to Biggleswade was a mug of tea with lots of sugar in it.  :facepalm:
Could've been but we weren't going without hydration, for sure!

« Reply #5247 on: 21 June, 2022, 10:16:58 pm »
Gut issues during exercise

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3141050/

Most of use think we have a cast iron constitution till we ride the longer audaxes.
Thanks, Phil - I'm getting a 404 for that though, so will try again later. :thumbsup:

« Reply #5248 on: 21 June, 2022, 10:17:27 pm »
Well done on your first 600 Nick. Be careful though, next thing you know you'll be in Paris preparing to ride 1200km  :-) .
Thanks! That may happen!

« Reply #5249 on: 21 June, 2022, 10:18:31 pm »
Great Stuff Nick, this enthusiasm for dot watching is catching on!

Though the heat was tough for us, I think Team Grey Sheep caught more rain up north than we did on Saturday. There was even a shower late in the day to welcome them back to Dunmow.

Very much appreciated felstedrider meeting us near Clare, we were flagging a bit by then.
Thanks, Tomsk - a pleasure riding with you also, thank you for having me on the helpers' ride!