Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526245 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5525 on: 24 January, 2023, 02:40:16 pm »
Bernster, Jellylegs - thanks very much, that's just what I needed to know!  :)  much appreciated!

felstedrider

« Reply #5526 on: 26 January, 2023, 09:31:24 am »
We're away Friday night through to Saturday lunchtime-ish.   I plan to ride over for a chat at the finish.

« Reply #5527 on: 28 January, 2023, 05:59:14 pm »
Could be time for an ACME PBP thread over in Audax? Grey Sheep and I are in the 90 hour, 18:00 start.
Great idea!

I need to get organised now. I need passage to the start line, hotels and qualifying rides. Its serious stuff!

« Reply #5528 on: 17 February, 2023, 08:32:26 pm »
Could be time for an ACME PBP thread over in Audax? Grey Sheep and I are in the 90 hour, 18:00 start.
And it is done!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5529 on: 23 February, 2023, 05:49:56 pm »
Does anyone have any good photos from previous events, in particular The Woodman/Woodman's Daughter audaxes that they'd be happy to share? (Or indeed any decent 'on-the-road' pics of cyclists.) As they're very much aimed at newbies, I'm thinking of putting out some publicity locally for these events in April.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5530 on: 16 March, 2023, 07:17:52 pm »
Last night's visit to The Thatchers, Hatfield Heath: psyclist already ensconced when I arrived, shortly joined by Owen as I was locking up, Howdee and GavinC along a little afterwards. Pleasant enough pub, but just Tribute and Doom Bar available, (a bit pricy at £5/pint and lots of beer miles). We may have talked about PBP, debriefed the Horsepower ... and heard about the full horrors of Owen's experiences on The Dean.

A wet ride to and from, though not as heavy as last Thursday's Westerners trip to the Belgian Brewer. Skirting the forest I saw two foxes and a muntjac on the way out, with a pair of fallow deer and later a big herd of roe crossing just in front of me, on the return.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5531 on: 16 March, 2023, 08:02:54 pm »
Does anyone have any good photos from previous events, in particular The Woodman/Woodman's Daughter audaxes that they'd be happy to share? (Or indeed any decent 'on-the-road' pics of cyclists.) As they're very much aimed at newbies, I'm thinking of putting out some publicity locally for these events in April.

I've got a picture of a scone and thats about it.
There's a few pics on here https://www.strava.com/activities/1508943585 let me know if any are of interest and I'll dig them out.

Last night's visit to The Thatchers, Hatfield Heath: psyclist already ensconced when I arrived, shortly joined by Owen as I was locking up, Howdee and GavinC along a little afterwards. Pleasant enough pub, but just Tribute and Doom Bar available, (a bit pricy at £5/pint and lots of beer miles). We may have talked about PBP, debriefed the Horsepower ... and heard about the full horrors of Owen's experiences on The Dean.

A wet ride to and from, though not as heavy as last Thursday's Westerners trip to the Belgian Brewer. Skirting the forest I saw two foxes and a muntjac on the way out, with a pair of fallow deer and later a big herd of roe crossing just in front of me, on the return.

I took one look at the weather and my work calendar for the next day and decided to stay in much to the annoyance of Capt Slow!  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5532 on: 16 March, 2023, 09:53:36 pm »

Thanks for last night chaps. after having a crappy time at work and a less than ideal Dean ride at the weekend I really needed last night  :thumbsup:
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5533 on: 29 March, 2023, 04:53:35 pm »
***** 13 May 2023  *******

There's a potential trip to foreign parts in order to drink beer with our ACME / MEMWNS spiritual cousins, Fat Cat Brewery CC - likely to be a bit of an exchange visit in the future to our Spiritual Home too...  :thumbsup:

http://fatcattap.co.uk/cycle-club/

They are keen to know numbers so they can make arrangements at the Fat Cat Ipswich for the number of bikes that might turn up...

I think the general idea is to ride there Saturday, stay/camp over and ride back Sunday (or 22:23 / 22:41 train back to Witham if that works for some). 

Potential Witham to Ipswich route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42369973 is about 70km, so a 'spoons start, lunch en route and beers and something in Ipswich as a starting idea?

(Discussions ongoing on overnight accomodation options, potentially a field with or without horses and maybe a porta loo or not and running water or not... but thats for firming up tonight in the pub... )

So can I have a show of hands please:

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
etc...

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5534 on: 29 March, 2023, 07:37:38 pm »

There's a potential trip to foreign parts in order to drink beer with our ACME / MEMWNS spiritual cousins, Fat Cat Brewery CC - likely to be a bit of an exchange visit in the future to our Spiritual Home too...  :thumbsup:

They are keen to know numbers so they can make arrangements at the Fat Cat Ipswich for the number of bikes that might turn up...

I think the general idea is to ride there Saturday, stay/camp over and ride back Sunday (or 22:23 / 22:41 train back to Witham if that works for some). 

Potential Witham to Ipswich route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42369973 is about 70km, so a 'spoons start, lunch en route and beers and something in Ipswich as a starting idea?

(Discussions ongoing on overnight accomodation options, potentially a field with or without horses and maybe a porta loo or not and running water or not... but thats for firming up tonight in the pub... )

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
etc...

Is this what ted mentioned at some point in the recent past?   If so it’s in my diary so count me in.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5535 on: 31 March, 2023, 09:39:00 am »

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
3. Huggy
4. BFC
5. OD

etc...

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5536 on: 06 April, 2023, 09:59:35 pm »
Haven't been here for a while and lots of interesting stuff!

Anyway, tracker for the Easter Arrow ACME Little Giant Rocket Sled Team, if anyone wants a peek ;)

Hope to be back out on a Wed soon.
Nick.

« Reply #5537 on: 07 April, 2023, 11:41:51 am »
Anyway, tracker for the Easter Arrow ACME Little Giant Rocket Sled Team, if anyone wants a peek ;)
The ACME Little Giant Rocket Sled team passing through Newport this morning…

« Reply #5538 on: 07 April, 2023, 11:59:45 am »
Quite a contrast in the clothing choices. But cold start and I’m sure the choices will change at their next stop.

felstedrider

« Reply #5539 on: 09 April, 2023, 08:57:24 pm »

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
etc...

As I was telling our new friends at the Oyster I used to drink in the original Fat Cat in Norwich.   It was, however, 30 years ago.

Unfortunately I need to be at home that weekend, unfortunately.

« Reply #5540 on: 10 April, 2023, 11:42:48 pm »
The ACME Little Giant Rocket Sled team passing through Newport this morning…

Good seeing you and thank you for the pic!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5541 on: 19 April, 2023, 05:07:08 pm »

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
etc...

Is this what ted mentioned at some point in the recent past?   If so it’s in my diary so count me in.

I'm wavering - sorry  :'(

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5542 on: 19 April, 2023, 06:41:59 pm »

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
3. Fandango
etc...

I'm up for this, but my preference is to camp, I'm not sleeping in a portaloo!

« Reply #5543 on: 21 April, 2023, 12:31:11 pm »
Hello folks, I booked up a Taster Session at the Olympic Velodrome as there was quite a bit of interest at the Gym but the numbers aren't exactly turning up so I have several spaces available if anyone wants to join the fun. Session is on Friday 12th May, you would have to be at the Velodrome @ 19:10.

I've put some details and a sign up on the webpage where you can add your name and I'll drop over the payment details (I've paid up front so will be paying to my account). There are 16 spaces, plenty left as I post this.

Would be great if some of you can make it.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5544 on: 23 April, 2023, 10:04:51 am »
Hello folks, I booked up a Taster Session at the Olympic Velodrome as there was quite a bit of interest at the Gym but the numbers aren't exactly turning up so I have several spaces available if anyone wants to join the fun. Session is on Friday 12th May, you would have to be at the Velodrome @ 19:10.

I've put some details and a sign up on the webpage where you can add your name and I'll drop over the payment details (I've paid up front so will be paying to my account). There are 16 spaces, plenty left as I post this.

I'll most likely be riding a helpers' ride/routecheck of Fenland Friends starting early the next day - Soupy is interested though ...

« Reply #5545 on: 23 April, 2023, 10:59:22 am »
I've ridden 3 taster sessions. Enjoyed them, but not so keen on riding another.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5546 on: 24 April, 2023, 11:41:32 am »

I'll most likely be riding a helpers' ride/routecheck of Fenland Friends starting early the next day - Soupy is interested though ...
Would be great to have him along.

@psyclist, noted, I thought the same but figured it's been a few years

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5547 on: 26 April, 2023, 11:07:54 am »

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
etc...

I'm up for this, but my preference is to camp, I'm not sleeping in a portaloo!

I'm afraid I'm working on Saturday, so I can't come along😭

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5548 on: 27 April, 2023, 08:38:13 am »
Returning from the Maldon Beer Fest last night, I heard my first Nightingale of the year, near Langford. - just had to stop and listen for a bit. I've heard Nightingales singing along the Stour valley on the Green and Yellow Fields 300 occasionally - something to look forward to.

I did a bit of googling (thank you BBc wildlife website!) and apparently Nightingales have a repertoir of 1000 sounds, three times that of Skylarks and ten times more than Blackbirds, both very tuneful birds. The males are singing to attract the females down to their territory, as they fly over on their way up from West Africa. They need jungley woodland as they nest on or near the ground, and close to water as well, which is a declining habitat.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5549 on: 27 April, 2023, 09:53:10 am »
Not quite the expected beer festival prices and not as busy as expected, even with a smaller venue - but good range of beers last night.

My ride home was an eventful one.... mostly criminal element... Couple of Muntjacs in the road coming down Danbury Woodhill - though I was sort of expecting it, so no issues, then the start of criminality started, bunch of blokes smoking weed on the A12 overbridge, their cars just down from them  ::-) and then through a normally quiet subway, couple of drug runners, one who thought it would be funny to step into my path as I was passing.. narrowly avoided them, seemed like a bit of deliberate act to me!

Coming through Baddow, the 'piest de resistance' - noticed a police car parked in the road, so thought I would report the activity so they could route someone along to take a look.. as I didn't have the reg plates of the smokers, it was of no use, then I looked up and noticed a forensics tent and police tape and realised they were guarding a crime scene... the copper said he couldn't tell me what it was about, so I left it and headed home but from the news it looks like a suspicious death, murder investigation. 

I'm certainly more concerned about my route home on an evening now though, I can take the main road and run the risk of drugged up drivers or the cycle tracks and take the risk of being stabbed by a drug runner!  :o

No wonder Wednesday nights are now dwindling numbers.  ::-)
Regards,

Joergen