Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526328 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5725 on: 31 October, 2023, 09:07:00 pm »
Hello all,

Hannah has been back in the studio, so here's a spooky Halloween treat for you all, especially fans of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is in its 30th year this year - makes me feel old!

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

« Reply #5726 on: 06 November, 2023, 11:12:29 pm »
Are the ACME 2024 tourdax dates and controls confirmed yet? Couldn't find them on the AUK events calendar.

Interested depending on when it is happening. May haul some camping stuff along.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5727 on: 07 November, 2023, 07:00:11 am »
Couldn't find them on the AUK events calendar.

Almost. They'll be up in a day or so. Tomsk's done his work.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5728 on: 09 November, 2023, 05:25:00 pm »
Well, I took the dynohub that failed during PBP to BFC for the once over.

Appeared to be putting out power so I brought it home and wired the light back in - nothing. If I wire the Igaro in, I get output. Then I had the idea that I should hook it up to the light on my other bike (which is also in pieces, both wheels delivered to BFC yesterday). I hooked it up, span the wheel, nothing. So, it seems the hub is powering the Igaro, but not the lights - I don't get it.

« Reply #5729 on: 09 November, 2023, 05:34:38 pm »
I guess it could point to a faulty light, or faulty wiring to the light?

I had a B+M IQ-X that failed because of the switch, and it appears to be a common fault and they stopped making them!
Out of all the dynamo lights I have tried most failed.  I'm now only using the SON/Edelux one.

Cheers

GS

Appeared to be putting out power so I brought it home and wired the light back in - nothing. If I wire the Igaro in, I get output. Then I had the idea that I should hook it up to the light on my other bike (which is also in pieces, both wheels delivered to BFC yesterday). I hooked it up, span the wheel, nothing. So, it seems the hub is powering the Igaro, but not the lights - I don't get it.
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #5730 on: 09 November, 2023, 06:53:55 pm »
Thanks, GS.

I don't think it's the light as I know the second one I tried is working.

Cheers,
Nick.

I guess it could point to a faulty light, or faulty wiring to the light?

I had a B+M IQ-X that failed because of the switch, and it appears to be a common fault and they stopped making them!
Out of all the dynamo lights I have tried most failed.  I'm now only using the SON/Edelux one.

Cheers

GS

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5731 on: 09 November, 2023, 09:04:26 pm »
The IQ X light I have refuses to wake up when the B&M USB Werk is also connected. I have a switch in the feed to the USB unit, once that units input is off the light wakes up and responds (switch works), and carries on working until the bike stops for a while even with the USB module reconnected (light never achieves full brightness when the USB is also connected, but works fine for daylight running light).

« Reply #5732 on: 09 November, 2023, 10:54:39 pm »
Thanks, BFC,

I ran the two separately, so that should not be an issue.

Cheers,
Nick.

The IQ X light I have refuses to wake up when the B&M USB Werk is also connected. I have a switch in the feed to the USB unit, once that units input is off the light wakes up and responds (switch works), and carries on working until the bike stops for a while even with the USB module reconnected (light never achieves full brightness when the USB is also connected, but works fine for daylight running light).

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5733 on: 10 November, 2023, 09:57:12 am »
Thanks, BFC,

Cheers,
Nick.

I had an issue where an Igaro (very first version) went short circuit which stopped an IQ-x from working. I was about to open up the light to inspect the wires until I identified it was the Igaro.

You've already ruled that out so I think you've nothing left to loose by opening it up and desoldering and inspecting the wire in the light to see if that resolves your issue. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BUMM+IQ-XS+Bike+Front+Light+Busch+&+M%C3%BCller+Teardown/132285
Regards,

Joergen

felstedrider

« Reply #5734 on: 11 November, 2023, 03:39:39 pm »
For some reason I had awards night down as tonight.  I had to pop round to Tippers to exchange some goods and he politely told me it was next week.  Good job really.

It’ll just be me next week rather than family, but I should make it for 8.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5735 on: 20 November, 2023, 07:21:19 pm »
Following a conversation with Wilkyboy about the Essex SR at the Awards on Saturday, I have worked out that there is at least one candidate with 10 years counting for an Ultra ESR - and that's me! If anyone thinks they qualify too, let me know. The award has been going since the 2012-13 season (that's 11 years!). For the first two seasons the medals were plain (kindly sponsored by Flitchbikes), without loops for year bars, but after 2015 the next batch had them. After 2018 we had our own ACME medals, funded from surplus event money.

Wilkyboy was one year ahead of me, as I missed my 600km (Flatlands in mid-September) due to Soupy's crash in 2016 (pelvis and skull fracture), but has fallen behind since, though an ESR this season would see him achieve it.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5736 on: 20 November, 2023, 08:51:49 pm »
I’m pretty sure I qualify!

felstedrider

« Reply #5737 on: 21 November, 2023, 08:08:13 am »
I don't seem to have done as many as I thought I had.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5738 on: 21 November, 2023, 02:27:08 pm »

... for something!  ;D

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5739 on: 21 November, 2023, 02:35:00 pm »
How about the other ESR, an Essex Sub Randonneur for doing lots of rides of less than 200km in Essex?

« Reply #5740 on: 21 November, 2023, 02:40:47 pm »
Shouldn’t the Essex Sub Randonneur be for those who’ve done lots of Essex events in the rain and / or with floods?

« Reply #5741 on: 21 November, 2023, 08:11:32 pm »

... for something!  ;D

I think qualify and certifiable are getting confused here

« Reply #5742 on: 21 November, 2023, 10:03:58 pm »
How about the other ESR, an Essex Sub Randonneur for doing lots of rides of less than 200km in Essex?
Just saying.

Credit where credit is due. I borrowed the image from here.

« Reply #5743 on: 21 November, 2023, 11:06:46 pm »
Thanks, BFC,

Cheers,
Nick.

I had an issue where an Igaro (very first version) went short circuit which stopped an IQ-x from working. I was about to open up the light to inspect the wires until I identified it was the Igaro.

You've already ruled that out so I think you've nothing left to loose by opening it up and desoldering and inspecting the wire in the light to see if that resolves your issue. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/BUMM+IQ-XS+Bike+Front+Light+Busch+&+M%C3%BCller+Teardown/132285

Excellent and thank you very much for this!

« Reply #5744 on: 25 November, 2023, 01:37:17 pm »
Okay, so when I run the front wheel by hand, the blue circular light around the on/off switch illuminates faintly but no light from the lamp itself.

« Reply #5745 on: 25 November, 2023, 09:16:08 pm »
Sounds not unlike the problem I had earlier this year. This thread records how I came to fit an IQ-X and then, three years later, the last post links to the thread where I investigated a failure and replaced it.

« Reply #5746 on: 27 November, 2023, 07:20:31 am »
Paging @Tomsk ...

You normally like to do a group ride in the last week of the year. Is that on the cards this year, and assuming the weather behaves, which day is your preference?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5747 on: 27 November, 2023, 09:38:28 am »
Paging @Tomsk ...

You normally like to do a group ride in the last week of the year. Is that on the cards this year, and assuming the weather behaves, which day is your preference?

Yes - probably keep a couple of days free after Christmas and see what the weather does. I'll start a thread over in 'Audax now, as I'm having an hour on admin this morning.

« Reply #5748 on: 30 November, 2023, 06:36:15 pm »
Sounds not unlike the problem I had earlier this year. This thread records how I came to fit an IQ-X and then, three years later, the last post links to the thread where I investigated a failure and replaced it.

Many thanks. Odd that the hub seems to be putting out the expected power but a good light doesn't work either, I will do a few more tests. (EDITED).

Cheers,
Nick.

« Reply #5749 on: 04 December, 2023, 07:40:07 pm »
I have an online album with lots of my cycling photos. You can register and look at them here. if you're interested. Quite happy to create an ACME album if anybody wants to store their photos there. I host it on my own server, in my garage, so there are no upload limits and its free.

There are also apps available for your mobile device - if you want to use one of these then just let me know and I'll show you where to get them and tell you what the connection details are.

Ta,
Nick.
EDIT: We have a planned power outage in my area tomorrow (5th December), so I have shut the server down tonight (2300, 4th Dec) and it'll be back up tomorrow evening.