Author Topic: Tablet for note taking  (Read 4158 times)

Re: Tablet for note taking
« Reply #25 on: 14 October, 2019, 05:14:02 pm »
I had a solution, that worked for a touch-typist. A small device, with a decent keyboard. I'd enter notes while discussing things in the meeting - basically I typed away everything that I thought needed recording, didn't make any attempt at organisation. That could be done later. Keyboard was rigid, so it would work on my lap if I didn't have a table in front of me.

Worked brilliantly, battery life was over a week.

That was a palm pilot with a belkin keyboard.

Not seen a tablet solution as good as that on the market. They are nearly getting there.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 14 October, 2019, 10:56:42 pm »
The Psion 5 was good too...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:13:17 pm »
Z88 FTW
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:48:22 pm »
Z88 FTW

Barakta used those for writing in primary school.  We obtained one to play with in the early noughties, and while it's an impressive relic of its era, the keyboard leaves a lot to be desired.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 15 October, 2019, 12:46:41 am »
Microwriter?  A mid-80s cow-orker used to swear by his, though how he transferred his notes onto our WP system (running on a PDP) is a mystery.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:44:43 am »
Reminds me of using a manual card-punch in the 70s.

When I was a callow low-grade programmer I used to toddle off to clients with one of these in one hand and a briefcase full of cards in the other.  I got a gold star for fitting a carrying-handle to it.  We were all expert at fitting mispunched chad back into the holes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #31 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:09:35 pm »
Microwriter?  A mid-80s cow-orker used to swear by his, though how he transferred his notes onto our WP system (running on a PDP) is a mystery.
I used one of those very briefly a very long time ago, and even I could get a decent typing speed.
I looked at some of the alternative Android keyboards at one time to see if it had been ported, but none seemed to quite match the elegance of the original.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 16 October, 2019, 07:03:40 pm »

Those are one of the 'clever' suggestions occupational therapists like to make to barakta when they're so hung up on the arm and wrist bones that they forget to count her fingers.

« Reply #33 on: 16 October, 2019, 07:27:46 pm »
If someone is looking for a basic thingy thing, I scored a Chromebook what was being "given away" as a promotion when I had a clicky moment this morning and preordered a Pixel 4. When it arrives it will be available for, say, 50% of the RRP Not a tablet, mind.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #34 on: 18 October, 2019, 10:37:16 am »
Microwriter?  A mid-80s cow-orker used to swear by his,

Tom Vernon a.k.a. Fat Man on a Bicycle used one for his general note-taking.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #35 on: 18 October, 2019, 10:58:21 am »

If you go much further back in time you will soon be recommending the OP uses a tablet such as Moses had for note taking!

Yes, but you can only get five bullet points on a tablet.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 04 March, 2020, 05:20:32 pm »
Thread necromancy:
I have been finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with my (paper) notes these days. I know I have them but I have multiple notebooks and trying to find the thread of 1 subject scattered throughout the book is starting to get difficult. I hate the loss of control so I have been thinking about getting an epaper notebook recently.

I was in a meeting with a colleague today, she has a ReMarkable and showed me how she uses it. Being able to store notes in segregated folders would be amazing and she can also upload pdf's and make notes on those as well.
I *really* want one.
I nearly spat out my tea when I found out the price.   :o

I still *really* want one though.  :-\
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #37 on: 06 March, 2020, 07:02:18 pm »
Well, a day after posting ^this, a nice little bonus appeared. So I think I shall be investing in one.
Even though it doesn't have a web browser to allow you to login to networks with a captive portal, which is annoying as that's the only way to get on the guest network at work. I'll just have to use the phone as a hotspot instead.

Nothing else looks nearly as good. Several of the alternatives have issues with Chinglish interfaces, or have all their cloud backups in China. And it seems like ReMarkable have been doing lots of software upgrades since launch so...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.