Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134698 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14950 on: 29 July, 2020, 07:47:17 pm »
Fettled a slightly sharper edge on a brand new log-splitting maul, It was bought for me to replace the felling axe I had been using.

The 'edge' was over 2mm wide at some points!  >:(

Did that last year on my little hatchet, a time-consuming but satisfying job.  Now just waiting for the zombie apocalypse
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14951 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:39:44 pm »
I've been fettling my grandson's BMX. Somehow he managed to break the ends of both the upper and lower cables on the gyro at the headset.

I have ordered a new upper cable as the single-to-2-cable-with-barrels-fixed-on-all-ends aren't considered repairable.

The rear section is a dual cable system, so I filed a pear shape ended cable to replace the inner.

I brought the upper cable home, and after several attempts I managed to melt a blob of solder onto the cable using a pen sized blowtorch. (the main problem was getting the solder to 'take' on the cable).  I then filed the blob of solder to fit through a M6 nut (as it will have to to install) :smug:

I will try fitting it tomorrow. If anything it should speed up the chances of the new one arriving before the weekend.  ::-)

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #14952 on: 29 July, 2020, 09:59:03 pm »
I sorted out my divishness, where I'd "fixed" the dish error on my new wheel by magnifying it. It is now properly fixed and is central in the fork.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14953 on: 29 July, 2020, 10:04:05 pm »
Trying to find a water pipe leak....hope that is in the visible pipes and not sunk in a floor screed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14954 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:23:24 am »
Removed a Cateye rearlight that was clacking on the seat-stay on rough roads, i.e. 95% of the time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14955 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:28:23 am »
Replaced the QR skewer in the front wheel of the hack bike.

Years of neglect meant the previous one had seized up so couldn't be closed. I ended up sawing off the end.  :facepalm:

Luckily I had a spare that was the right size...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14956 on: 30 July, 2020, 02:27:10 pm »
A 90s Eddy Merckx Strada OS frameset turned up.  The carbon fork looks serviceable but was a bit messy.  Threads very rusty and clogged so I ran the fork die down them.  Very nice when tested with a soft alloy Tange Falcon race, which can be fussy.

The crown race was a firm hand fit rather than a solid interference fit so I put it on with Loctite 603*.  I suspect the crown race is slightly stretched rather than the fork being undersize, since a Levin race was far tighter.

Next job is a bit of facing.  I can't retap the BB shell as I don't have Italian taps.  Will also check frame and gear hanger alignment with Mr Straight Edge.

*this is a very strong grade but IME doesn't actually make them any more difficult to remove.  I think it's strong in shear but weak in tension.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14957 on: 30 July, 2020, 05:21:52 pm »
Cleaned the threads out on the gear hanger boss on my trike. Refitted the rear mech and chain and got the gears working properly. Just need to clean the handlebar tape, refit the wheels and tickle up the brakes and the trike will be ready for service.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14958 on: 30 July, 2020, 05:35:26 pm »
Tried to fettle the bathroom radiator at Fort Larrington into a state of on-ness.  Oh.  It was already in the "on" position.  Bah!

Tried to fettle the pressure wossname in the heating at Fort Larrington into a state of pressuredness.  Oh.  The idiot plumbers have replaced the pipe that connects the Pressurised Big Red Metal Thing to the water supply with one lacking any user-frobable taps.  Bah!

But I did manage to change the oil in the old boy's chip pan.  The old stuff was the colour of Guinness.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14959 on: 30 July, 2020, 06:49:07 pm »
A batch of poppy and cinnamon cookies. Om, and indeed, nomnomnom...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #14960 on: 30 July, 2020, 08:25:36 pm »
Finally completed the whizz bang all singing all dancing heating system and hot water circulation loop thingy to provide instant hot water 15m from the boiler. Chuffed!

Ready to start the demolition after much temporary works for the big build, nightmare bathroom. Ugh!

Let the digging commence.

« Reply #14961 on: 30 July, 2020, 08:35:14 pm »
Following advice from pcolbeck, I now have a bench grinder and polisher set up in my garageworkshop.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #14962 on: 31 July, 2020, 04:44:33 pm »
Replaced the power wires in a PawTrack.  Fiddly.  The wires were extra flexible silicone, as I had none in one of my test leads is now 3" shorter.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14963 on: 01 August, 2020, 02:25:11 pm »
Fitted the new pusher plate assembly and Ti spring to my Brompton. Still need to dig out a 1.5mm Allen key to anchor the derailleur cable anchor and sort out the replacement seatpost.

Fitted the wheels to my trike, tweaked the brakes and cleaned the handlebar tape. Swapped the SPDs out for rubber pedals. All ready for a newbie to see if he likes three-wheeling.

« Reply #14964 on: 01 August, 2020, 05:45:34 pm »
Decided today was a good day to do some long-overdue fettling. Revisited the rattly shifter issue on the Trek - found this video and decided to follow it. I've not test ridden it yet, so am not sure whether it's worked. Also replaced the chain with a very pretty shiny one - I'm not actually sure whether I'll get around to test riding it, because it looks so beautiful and I don't want to get it all messy. :facepalm:

Now on to tackling the filthy Pinnacle. The chain is soaking in a bath of white spirit, and the wheels might have to go in the shower.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #14965 on: 01 August, 2020, 06:08:58 pm »
I've been fettling my grandson's BMX. Somehow he managed to break the ends of both the upper and lower cables on the gyro at the headset.

I have ordered a new upper cable as the single-to-2-cable-with-barrels-fixed-on-all-ends aren't considered repairable.

The rear section is a dual cable system, so I filed a pear shape ended cable to replace the inner.

I brought the upper cable home, and after several attempts I managed to melt a blob of solder onto the cable using a pen sized blowtorch. (the main problem was getting the solder to 'take' on the cable).  I then filed the blob of solder to fit through a M6 nut (as it will have to to install) :smug:

I will try fitting it tomorrow. If anything it should speed up the chances of the new one arriving before the weekend.  ::-)

Wobbly John, I have some spare gyros with cables if you have problems, my son runs brakeless when he rides now (not often).

Possible ride this weekend in mid Norfolk, so checked Hewitt a few days ago to find bulges in tread on back Pasela, cuts through carcass so scrapped (8 years old); cue a new pair of Conti Speed Contacts which I have liked on another bike, but at 37mm more balloony. Also gear and chain fettling on Fuego, hoping to ride tomorrow if lungs allow (cold virus I think, test says not the other one, thank goodness).

« Reply #14966 on: 01 August, 2020, 06:23:20 pm »
Initial Trice fettling - put pedals on, adjusting boom to fit me (I'm not short at 6 foot, but I could only just do pointy-toe reach to the furthest position). Then chopped down chain and tubes to fit, and adjusted the gears. I need to make a stand for this; I propped the rear up on a block of wood so I could spin the rear wheel and tweak things, but it was unstable. Just a lump of wood with a wider base and properly shaped at the top to locate the trike will probably work OK.

Found that I don't yet have enough movement in my dodgy knee to go through the whole circle (I didn't intend putting load on that leg, but putting it through it's range of safe movement would be OK pedalling with the other one). The cranks are 170mm, I reckoned that if I put a 150mm one on that side I'd manage - so got my youngest to dig the carcass of an old kid's mountain bike out of the shed. Crank pulled, and I find that the Trice has a very nice Shimano 105 chainset that is the original Octolink rather than square taper - should have checked that before sending my offspring into the shed of doom. So, scrap that idea as I don't want to get into swapping out the bottom bracket and entire chainset.

MrsH saw the removed section of chain on the floor, and asked if it didn't have a chain length adjuster. Apparently they've got a recumbent trike at her school that has a chain gobbler of some sort so they can adjust it for the kids. She doesn't know what make/model the trike is but she has ridden it - I've suggested that once I can actually ride this we go over to her school and have some races around the car park.

I rode it around in small circles a little bit, but will need to fettle a Steve Abrahams-style gammy leg support to do any more. Hopefully within a few weeks I'll be able to use it more normally (though powering through my good leg). Had a moment of mild panic when I got it going and didn't know how to stop. Of course, I'd checked the brakes, and knew where they were on the bars, but my sitting-down reflex instinct was that there should be a foot brake, rather than using my hands!

« Reply #14967 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:03:27 pm »

Wobbly John, I have some spare gyros with cables if you have problems, my son runs brakeless when he rides now (not often).

Repaired one fitted and working (we went for a ride on Wednesday). New one arrived today.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer, though.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14968 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:10:31 pm »
Yesterday I dug up some weedy shit near the bird feeder and replaced it with a small hebe and a bit of foraged honeysuckle which had previously been living in pots.

Today I fettled a sourdough loaf in the shape of a pancake  :facepalm: (WTF does it keep doing that?)
Then I painted yet moar woodwork. Wish I'd started with the Permawhite rather than the crap Dulux eggshell. Only one more coat to go and I can start on the walls.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14969 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:11:30 pm »
Initial Trice fettling - put pedals on, adjusting boom to fit me (I'm not short at 6 foot, but I could only just do pointy-toe reach to the furthest position). Then chopped down chain and tubes to fit, and adjusted the gears. I need to make a stand for this; I propped the rear up on a block of wood so I could spin the rear wheel and tweak things, but it was unstable. Just a lump of wood with a wider base and properly shaped at the top to locate the trike will probably work OK.

I use one of those mini-workstand things that supports a bike by the chainstay and seatstay.  When it's not supporting my mountain bike.

MrsH saw the removed section of chain on the floor, and asked if it didn't have a chain length adjuster. Apparently they've got a recumbent trike at her school that has a chain gobbler of some sort so they can adjust it for the kids. She doesn't know what make/model the trike is but she has ridden it - I've suggested that once I can actually ride this we go over to her school and have some races around the car park.

Those are available as an accessory from ICE, I think in combination with QR levers for the boom bolts.

Had a moment of mild panic when I got it going and didn't know how to stop. Of course, I'd checked the brakes, and knew where they were on the bars, but my sitting-down reflex instinct was that there should be a foot brake, rather than using my hands!

I tried to ride a quad bike once as a kid, with similar results.  Using a foot brake on something with handlebars was completely alien.

« Reply #14970 on: 01 August, 2020, 07:20:51 pm »

I use one of those mini-workstand things that supports a bike by the chainstay and seatstay.  When it's not supporting my mountain bike.

I do/did have one of them kicking around. Good call - if I've still got it and it hasn't magically relocated to offspring #1's place...

...chain gobbler...

Those are available as an accessory from ICE, I think in combination with QR levers for the boom bolts.

Not sure I'll actually have a use for it - once set up, it should be fine (unless others in the family decide they want to try it). The comment was more that I hadn't realised MrsH's school had them in their fleet of bikes.Good to know they are available though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14971 on: 02 August, 2020, 10:21:22 am »
Ripped an old length of tongue & groove into two strips to cut into battens, but then started to feel guilty about making a racket on a Sunday (Alsace is very traditional in that respect - only wretched children on motorbikes, mopeds and Porsches may disturb the peace with impunity) so I jacked it in.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14972 on: 02 August, 2020, 10:51:14 am »
Borrowed a 1.5mm Allen key and fitted a new derailleur cable to my Brompton. Fail! I rounded out the grub screw when securing the cable, the derailleur does not shift anyway and I don’t know why. Fitted helicopter tape to various cable contact points to feel like I had accomplished something anyway.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #14973 on: 02 August, 2020, 10:44:56 pm »

Wonder if the crossbow, scaled up, would be any good for zombie apocalypse hunting.
It isn't a crossbow, it's a ballista.
The difference is in the  - a crossbow fires a bolt, a ballista launches a heavy object.
Additionally, the crossbow relies on tension from the bow for its driving force.
The ballista is a machine which uses torsion springs to rotate the pivoting arms a quarter of a turn.
In all respects these toy weapons were made to work like the real thing does.

Sorry, never heard of a ballista.

How accurate is it?
I've no idea.
My guess would be pretty much on-target.
I do know that the MD of the company and the designer of the toy weapons spent a lot of time on their hands and knees on the carpet on the studio floor to ensure that the scaled-down toy weapons worked as accurately and consistently as the original weapons did.
I suspect that the game would've been a bit shite if they hadn't bothered.
For clarity: I made these ~ 30 years ago.
They continue to be sold today in one guise or another.

ETA - I'd only posted this up in 'What have you fettled today' as I'd stumbled across some ancient transparencies of this work.
ETFA - You might be surprised ( I know that I was) as to how much effort is expended by toy designers to ensure that their products reach their target audience and enjoy longevity.

Should I make a handheld ballista or buy this:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #14974 on: 03 August, 2020, 12:10:19 am »
Today has been fun.  The car after sitting 3 days the battery doesn't have enough in it to turn the engine over.  So cycled to get a battery charger. Looks like the battery has died as after an hour on charge was showing charged 12.8v but wouldn't start the car half an hour later, which is odd as batteries die in winter usually.

Changed tyres of the gf bike from 32mm to 44mm and they fit fine, unfortunately both tubes punctured after fitting!  But at least the tyres fit and had clearance.