Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626113 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4100 on: 19 November, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »
My daughter's class teacher: Oy! Those kids you teach are supposed to leave school at 3.20pm. They hardly ever do. Today my patience ran out and I went to ask the office the times just to make sure. Today's last lesson was still in full swing at 3.20.

Standing outside waiting for you to wrap up your lesson in near-freezing temperatures is no laughing matter. Nor was it over the last few weeks in the rain. Get a grip and finish on time. My next missive will be to the head.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4101 on: 19 November, 2013, 08:22:37 pm »
Gewgle! What in blue blazes have you done to Chrome today? Several inches of empty real estate in the margins and you need a microscope to read the font size.
And resizing the font doesn't help as it doesn't work on all the text.
Gah!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4102 on: 20 November, 2013, 12:43:47 pm »
Gewgle! What in blue blazes have you done to Chrome today? Several inches of empty real estate in the margins and you need a microscope to read the font size.
Gah!

CTRL - mousewheel
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4103 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:12:13 pm »
Dear Landlady.

You are a lovely woman, chatty and helpful.

I appreciate you letting me stay in your home 4 nights a week (albeit for a $MINIMAL_AMOUNT).

Please do not, though, start a conversation at the dinner table with "You know who I would put in Room 101? Bloody cyclists" Then go on to a rant about how a cyclist was riding up Newmarket Road last night and they shouldn't have been there.

Having said all that, I think you might just realise, now, that such arguments are ones you will lose!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4104 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:27:23 pm »
Dear Landlady.

You are a lovely woman, chatty and helpful.
And obviously blind if she hasn't noticed that you've got a, y'know, bike ...  ::-)

Anyway, my grumble involves my room thermostat - not only is it sited in a singularly boneheaded place1, but it now seems to possess so much hysteresis in its response that it's more or less useless. On the plus side, this time next week I'll have a nice new set of heating controls2 which, thanks to more careful placing of a (wireless) room stat, should allow me to heat the house more efficiently rather than whacking the dial up to 'volcanic' in order to heat the living room.

1 - on the wall in the spare room (aka 'Mission Control'), about a foot above my head when I'm at my desk and one thickness of interior wall away from the hot water tank.
2 - if this event triggers a freak November heatwave then you're welcome.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4105 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:30:45 pm »
on the wall in the spare room (aka 'Mission Control'), about a foot above my head when I'm at my desk and one thickness of interior wall away from the hot water tank.

They love doing that.  Makes the wiring easier.   :facepalm:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4106 on: 20 November, 2013, 02:35:10 pm »
on the wall in the spare room (aka 'Mission Control'), about a foot above my head when I'm at my desk and one thickness of interior wall away from the hot water tank.

They love doing that.  Makes the wiring easier.   :facepalm:
The current setup probably made perfect sense to the people who lived here before me - however, since I'm spending less and less time up here when I'm not working I've come to realise how bloody difficult it is to heat the living room up. My gas bill this month is going to be a real doozy (but then I'm nearly £200 in credit so British Gas can kiss my arse)

On the plus side, it should be relatively straightforward for the heating engineer to take the mechanical stat out as it's a fairly straight run from the stat to the wiring loom in the airing cupboard.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4107 on: 20 November, 2013, 06:05:45 pm »
Gah!

CTRL - mousewheel

It's a tablet, no can do :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4108 on: 20 November, 2013, 06:12:35 pm »
Gah!

CTRL - mousewheel

Isn't the head-crushing gesture the tablet equivalent of CTRL-mousewheel?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8t4pmlHRokg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8t4pmlHRokg&rel=1</a>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4109 on: 20 November, 2013, 06:25:04 pm »
Gah!

CTRL - mousewheel

Isn't the head-crushing gesture the tablet equivalent of CTRL-mousewheel?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8t4pmlHRokg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8t4pmlHRokg&rel=1</a>

No, that just zooms into the page. I just want the font bigger on this site (no empty real estate on yacf, just stupid text size since the app updated). Telling the default font displayed to be larger has had the effect of some posts remaining tiny and some posts being large. It's quite irritating.

« Reply #4110 on: 20 November, 2013, 09:12:08 pm »
On the plus side, it should be relatively straightforward for the heating engineer to take the mechanical stat out as it's a fairly straight run from the stat to the wiring loom in the airing cupboard.

I did my own last year (swapped thermostat for wireless receiver). Barely more complicated than wiring a plug. Ours ran to a different floor than the boiler, but into the kitchen so just as useless.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4111 on: 20 November, 2013, 09:18:58 pm »
Mate.  That was a pretty impressive "Side Slot Snot Shot".  I do it very occasionally myself if needed.
The only difference is that I check behind me for other cyclists first. 

You git! 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4112 on: 20 November, 2013, 10:34:54 pm »
Mate.  That was a pretty impressive "Side Slot Snot Shot".  I do it very occasionally myself if needed.
The only difference is that I check behind me for other cyclists first. 

Barakta was victim to the avian equivalent yesterday...   :sick:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4113 on: 20 November, 2013, 10:49:31 pm »
Good luck innit?  Quick, get her to buy an idiot lottery ticket.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4114 on: 21 November, 2013, 02:31:05 pm »
I've destroyed my Smart rear 'kidney' light by leaving it in a drawer unused for a while. Batteries leaked and must have corroded the terminals, though they look ok, cos even after cleaning it up, it doesn't work with new batteries. Gah.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris S

« Reply #4115 on: 21 November, 2013, 09:18:11 pm »
Dear The Council,

Please observe the following:

duplication by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

The item on the left was kindly left to me by The Bin Men of your employ (directly, or under some money grabbing PFI fuckwittery, who knows?) on today's refuse collection. Shortly after, the postman delivered the item on the right; the envelope marked "TNT Post".

Even if the TNT Post thing is free (which I doubt) and the Bin Men charge for their delivery (which I also doubt - especially if there is PFI fuckwittery going on), such duplication is completely unnecessary and stupid.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #4116 on: 21 November, 2013, 09:34:15 pm »
This summer, everyone on our street got a letter from the B'ham council telling us that, "With Immediate Affect" our refuse collection day would change to the same day that it has always been for the 30 years we have lived here.  ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4117 on: 21 November, 2013, 09:37:37 pm »
Dear The Council,

duplication by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

The item on the left was kindly left to me by The Bin Men of your employ (directly, or under some money grabbing PFI fuckwittery, who knows?) on today's refuse collection. Shortly after, the postman delivered the item on the right; the envelope marked "TNT Post".

Even if the TNT Post thing is free (which I doubt) and the Bin Men charge for their delivery (which I also doubt - especially if there is PFI fuckwittery going on), such duplication is completely unnecessary and stupid.

Bet they haven't put any of it on the web, either...

Chris S

« Reply #4118 on: 21 November, 2013, 09:46:39 pm »
Bet they haven't put any of it on the web, either...

Doesn't look like it: http://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/environment/759.asp

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4119 on: 21 November, 2013, 11:48:13 pm »
Last week our council took all our wheely bins away. We now have to take our rubbish bags down the road to a sunken communal bin, which has an orifice too small to take a fully loaded black sack.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4120 on: 22 November, 2013, 05:55:10 am »
Dear The Council,

{pretty picture excised}

NFN? :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4121 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:10:24 am »
Last week our council took all our wheely bins away. We now have to take our rubbish bags down the road to a sunken communal bin, which has an orifice too small to take a fully loaded black sack.
Oh dear, images, images!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4122 on: 22 November, 2013, 04:22:32 pm »
My rear tyre's bead decided it wasn't happy in its normal position and instead decided to free itself from the tyre wall and start stabbing the inner tube. I of course only noticed this when I'd wrestled the thing back on with my spare tube and then stabbed that one as well. So I was stranded with a dead tyre.

Then I ended up jogging home to pick up the car and jogging in my SPDs has left me with sore patches on the balls of the feet and something feeling remarkably like shin splints in my right leg. :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4123 on: 24 November, 2013, 12:37:07 pm »
I always leave writing the newsletter insert for my London Borough Group until rather late. I usually use the old newsletter as a template for the new. I have 'upgraded' to Mavericks and the latest version of Pages.

Now my vector logo is lost -or the 'table' is 'unsupported' or something.

GGGRRRRRRRRR!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4124 on: 24 November, 2013, 07:22:36 pm »
Lawrence Lessig was writing about this recently when he upgraded and suddenly none of his old documents worked anymore.  I think that's SHODDY of Apple and I would be writing them lots of nasty complaints - idiots.