Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626101 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5975 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:55:23 pm »
It always gets more interesting when a third language is involved. For instance, the source document - which you either don't have or have to specially request and wait for - mentions names in a third language, which uses a different writing system, and the names are obscure so you're never quite sure whether they've been transliterated according to source language or target language conventions. Or a mixture of both. The one that sticks in my memory though was not an obscure name but an everyday word. The original Polish document quoted someone in Russian, for some forgotten reason, and it had been translated as "In Russian we have the word człowiek, which... " Well, no, you don't have that word in Russian, because it's Polish! To put a Polish word in an English document and say it's Russian is absurd!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5976 on: 11 February, 2015, 01:57:35 pm »
Meanwhile, computer shop, hurry up with this set up business, please! Or I'll have to do something like go Apple instead!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5977 on: 11 February, 2015, 02:17:05 pm »
We were informed as students that 'doctors didn't eat chips in the street'.
I don't think I ever went to the Broomhill Friary.
They do, I've seen them!

[grumpy old bat]

Standards must have slipped since my day!

[/grumpy old bat]

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5978 on: 13 February, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
I appear to have been suffering from brain-fade when I made the CPC order that just arrived.  After carefully checking that I'd got the right flavour of knobs for the shafts of the potentiometers I intend to attach them to, I carefully ordered the wrong ones.  I've also managed to accidentally order some reed switches that must have been floating around in the cart since I didn't order them a couple of weeks ago.

Also, I've got the snot and the GP has used me as a pin-cushion but failed to draw blood, so I'm not in the best of moods.

Bah!

« Reply #5979 on: 13 February, 2015, 02:01:58 pm »
 Mr Cough & Mr Snot.   You outstayed your welcome last time.   I don't want a 2nd visit  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5980 on: 13 February, 2015, 03:13:57 pm »
BBC R3 continuity announcer, if it is three o'clock then adding "this afternoon" is somewhat superfluous.  I mean, it's not as if someone is going to think it's three o'clock tomorrow afternoon, are they?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5981 on: 13 February, 2015, 04:00:09 pm »
Assos Factory Outlet spam: Don't forget your loved ones this Valentines...

Violets are blue,
Roses are russet,
And here is some white stuff
To slap on your gusset.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5982 on: 13 February, 2015, 09:14:11 pm »
Assos Factory Outlet spam: Don't forget your loved ones this Valentines...

Violets are blue,
Roses are russet,
And here is some white stuff
To slap on your gusset.

Snort ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5983 on: 15 February, 2015, 08:46:23 am »
If you are a well respected biologist you could at least get your chemical structures right..

(click to show/hide)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5984 on: 15 February, 2015, 12:21:14 pm »
Morrison's new toilet roll is less soft and less effective than the old stuff. I would have put this in First World Problems but I assume that in there you would just use a bidet
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5985 on: 15 February, 2015, 01:51:19 pm »
^^^Wait for PBP, you can find out.

Funny, though: our local Super U (as in Unilever) recently degraded their standard bogroll to Breakthrough Level 2: use doubled or suffer the consequences.  Maybe there's a covert war on to dominate Europe's derrières.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5986 on: 15 February, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »
If you wait a bit UkIP will be along to blame it on the EU, immigrunts and Brown Windsor SOUP.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5987 on: 15 February, 2015, 03:17:29 pm »
I appear to have been suffering from brain-fade when I made the CPC order that just arrived.  After carefully checking that I'd got the right flavour of knobs for the shafts of the potentiometers I intend to attach them to, I carefully ordered the wrong ones.

Blimey, this could go in the "Coincidences do happen" thread, because I too bought some pots last week from CPC, with knobs that don't fit.  Except it wasn't entirely my fault in my case.  They were the knobs that CPC recommended for the particular pots (via "Accessories" on the pot item page).

Also, I've got the snot and the GP has used me as a pin-cushion but failed to draw blood, so I'm not in the best of moods.

It doesn't help that doctors tend to be poor at taking blood, compared to nurses.  GWS.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5988 on: 15 February, 2015, 03:32:02 pm »

It doesn't help that doctors tend to be poor at taking blood, compared to nurses.

Indeed.  I've got difficult veins, so tend to ask for the most senior nurse ("you know, the one you're all a bit scared of") in blood-letting / cannula insertion situations.  But I was there already for prescription jibble and it would have saved everyone time if she'd managed to get some blood there and then.  I'm not squeamish, just bruised.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5989 on: 15 February, 2015, 06:00:20 pm »
Nothing dafter than a 30-year-old door-lock with a broken spring. This one wedged into a mortise as tight as a banker's arse in a door with irreplaceable fancy glass set in a frame with a curly top. Took my full vocabulary to get it out of the door, two hours faffing about with pliers and wire to bend a spring, three four five six shit knows attempts to re-fit bolt A into plate B bearing on lever C with spring D mounted on pin E bearing on back of bolt A and spang shit start over. Then had to persuade the sainted thing back into the mortise with a hammer (see above re irreplaceable).  Now have 30 years' worth of metal dust ingrained in fingers and awaiting brickbats re state of nail-brush, towels, door curtain, light-switch.

I want a bacon sandwich.

« Reply #5990 on: 16 February, 2015, 06:13:42 pm »
Local Post Office.

3 counters (2 are PO and 1 is newsagents)
2 staff, 1 on newsagents, 1 on PO
8 customers queueing at the PO counters
0 customers at the newsagents
1 staff member serving, the other standing doing nothing

This is 4th time I've been there recently.  The first time there was a Chinese-looking couple who were able and willing to serve at any counter.  The second time I went to the newsagent counter and was told to go to the PO queue.   The 3rd time someone else got told!  This time,in true British fashion, no one asked the idle staff member to serve them as obviously it wasn't their job to do so!

Now I know how the Chinese managed to take over the entire retail operation at Vancouver airport, not to mention making all our stuff.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5991 on: 16 February, 2015, 09:51:50 pm »
Self, you blithering idiot,

firstly, don't get so caught up in what you are doing that you don't leave the office until 8pm.
secondly, when you then rush down change and cycle home it would be wise not to get to home and then find that your door keys are still in the door of the locker at work 30 minutes away.

The only reason this isn't in the rant thread is two parts, your sisters are local and have spare keys for the house, and the security guard at work confirmed where the keys are and took them into safe custody.

:-[

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5992 on: 17 February, 2015, 01:05:57 am »
Sympathies. Our return from Camden Cyclists' meeting tonight entailed a diversion to return a cycle lock to its owner's home.
Lock had owner's home and sundry other keys attached.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5993 on: 17 February, 2015, 07:10:57 pm »
Fell over a trailing cable at work today.  Everything hurts now.  'Specially my dodgy hip.

Lots of people were watching  :facepalm:
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5994 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:24:11 pm »
You take care that there young Ruthie, easily done and cable should not have been loose. In fact its a terribly, terribly, bad show and if I were you, I would be frightfully pissed off annoyed!  I trust it went into the accident book?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5995 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:38:21 pm »
You take care that there young Ruthie, easily done and cable should not have been loose. In fact its a terribly, terribly, bad show and if I were you, I would be frightfully pissed off annoyed!  I trust it went into the accident book?

What accident book?

Nah, I was just embarrassed and told them all to stop looking at me and making a fuss.  And the cable was part of a piece of equipment someone was setting up behind me.  It connected the machine to its operating foot pedal.  Just one of those things.  Dangerous place, the operating theatre.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5996 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:42:47 pm »
If it's a known risk there should be a mitigation in a risk assessment somewhere. Then again I work in an industry that can generate a 7 page risk assessment for changing an office light bulb.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5997 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:44:28 pm »
A very long time ago, I marched rapidly onto a wet patch on Ward 3 at the LGI, taking flight and landing on my well padded bum.

This was witnessed by Sister, who insisted on filling out the Accident Book and a trip to A&E.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5998 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:46:08 pm »
Hmmm.  I might Safeguard it tomorrow.  Just wanted it to go away at the time.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5999 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:48:48 pm »
Report it in case you have to make some form of claim later on.

I'm an office First Aider , so any incident I have to deal with get phoned in to our central incident reporting desk.

One of the questions they always ask is "is so & so a member of the union?"........
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark