Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 128688 times)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #325 on: 19 December, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »
 :thumbsup:

We're off to the 3 valleys on Saturday. There's nothing we can do about the snow so I had just accepted it might not be ideal in places. However, a small smattering will help.

Have fun all :)

« Reply #326 on: 19 December, 2013, 10:12:43 pm »
Just got teh car packed, heading out tomorrow.... byeeeeeee!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #327 on: 20 December, 2013, 11:40:18 am »
I go on Sunday. Bristol Airport early afternoon. Hopefully I will get to Cervinia in time for dinner. Departure was originally set for 6am so plenty of time but it has moved back.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #328 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »
Just arrived in Denver. Snowing lightly. Fresh snow in resort. Lunch in Frisco and then on to Breck.

Feanor

« Reply #329 on: 25 December, 2013, 11:02:28 pm »
Peak 6 just had its inaugural day here in Breck.  A glorious afternoon in sunshine, powder and bloody cold temperatures. Someone seems to have spiked the water with Stupid, since loads of people were fcking up getting off the new Kensho chair, causing it to stop every minute or so.

« Reply #330 on: 28 December, 2013, 09:04:12 pm »
Just back, 'twas a great week, snow looks set fair for the next week, although I've never seen slopes busier or (on Friday) more people stretchered off in one day (appx 6, including a heli lift), especially as I've seen conditions a whole lot worse. Full report when I'm a little less zombie like.

Ruth

« Reply #331 on: 28 December, 2013, 09:20:00 pm »
21st Jan I'll be off to Blue Mountain Ontario. Absolutely cacking myself and my knees are squeaking with fear. But I am fully equipped, courtesy of Aldi. What could possibly go wrong?

Paging Ski nerds: Long weekend for the missus suggestions
« Reply #332 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:06:23 am »
I'm in need of some brownie points.  ;D :-[ A long weekend on the slopes for Mrs L & a mate should do nicely (Mate would be paying for herself).  I have NO ski knowledge so would be after advice from teh FSNs* plz.

The specs are:
  • Two skiers, both of the "reds, long blues and lunch" variety as far as I can tell. One comfortable skiing black runs. The other (Mrs L) would take on a black but not really enjoy it. Mrs L is the fitter of the two, FWIW.
  • I would need to stay at home and do child care. My diary and her company's leave policy implies leaving Yorkshire on a Friday and flying back on Monday.
  • Short-ish transfer preferred at the other end so as not to eat up time.
  • Neither would drive on the Continent, much less so in winter.
  • Back end of January / early February is the only time window. Would need to stay OUT of half term week.
  • Budget is a consideration (!)

So: over to you! Resort? Country? Operator? Or is this a harebrained idea and I should just buy flowers instead?  ;D

*Forum Ski Nerds, natch.  :P

« Reply #333 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:34:07 am »
Damn fine idea if you ask me .... Portes de Soleil area has something for everyone and is easiest  to get to. Chatel / Avoriaz come to mind. Hotel accommodation? Igluski.com have a good selection of stuff and are dependable, helpful on the phone, the people you talk to will know about skiing. Quick transfer from Geneva seems to be the best move for you. I'll add some detailed suggestions later.

« Reply #334 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:38:11 am »
21st Jan I'll be off to Blue Mountain Ontario. Absolutely cacking myself and my knees are squeaking with fear. But I am fully equipped, courtesy of Aldi. What could possibly go wrong?

Absolutely nothing. Snow is soft.

;)

Have a great time .... any specific questions?

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #335 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:48:47 am »
I've done independent ski weekends and organised weekend breaks. On the latter I used skiweekends.com and it was all incredibly easy. We went to La Tania in the 3 valleys which may not be the most obvious choice as it is a fairly long transfer time, but given there was a minibus waiting for us as we arrived and whisked us straight off, I actually left straight from work on a Thursday and was in resort before midnight. We then got to ski all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning before coming home. I've also done a weekend independent break in Courcheval and again, despite a long transfer we were there easily before midnight after leaving work around 4pm'ish. The other place I've been independently is Sauze d'oulx. Flight to Turin and then there is a nice British chap who lives in resort who will come and pick you up (I can dig out his details) and take you to whichever hotel you are staying in. Plenty of hotel choice in Sauze. Price wise, independent or organised work out about the same. Just don't bother with any holidays in Bride les Bains, which will be pretty cheap, but there's a reason for that.....(it is in the 3 valleys, but right at the bottom and there is a VERY long lift to get you to the slopes). I'm not sure what the snow train timetable is like, but that might be an option, at least to get you there (I think it is overnight on a Friday so you arrive in resort sat morning). I've not used it but heard good things from those who have. Isn't Chamonix supposed to be one of the shortest transfer times?

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #336 on: 29 December, 2013, 12:00:15 pm »
We've just come back from a pretty decent week in Meribel Mottaret. Despite hardly any snow since the end of Nov, the pistes were in a remarkably decent condition for the first few days. Snow was a bit thin in a few places but nothing to worry about (especially on hire skis). It was a bit odd, seeing white pistes snaking down through green surrounding areas.....also, for the first few days it didint feel like December at all, but more like April. It was warm and sunny!

Then, the wind whipped up so we had to stay in our own valley as the higher lifts weren't working. Then it rained (sob) so Xmas day was literally a bit of a wash out. But then, the snow came. It made for quite difficult conditions on Thursday, with limited visibility and lots and lots of soft snow. The last day on Friday was the perfect end. Lots and lots of snow and clear blue skies. The lifts were absolutely rammed so lots of queues. And it get very lumpy and choppy within a few short hours. Because of the avalanche risk lots of lifts higher up didn't open till lunch time, forcing all of us to the few other remaining lifts. Still, the conditions were great and it was a good end to the holiday.

We had a long delay at grenoble yesterday as some coach transfers were stuck in ridiculous traffic and took nearly 9 hours to get to the airport!!!!!

GN: my boot heaters are ace
BN: the additional steroid injections haven't improved my bad feet any more so there still get pretty ouchy. I did have more than one complete paddy at the side of the piste when I ripped my skis and boots off and threw them down the hill and lay in the snow sobbing. At times like that I wonder why I bother  :-\ but then they feel better I zoom down a piste and it is pretty bloody amazing.

Looking forward to Val d'Isere in March  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #338 on: 29 December, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
Let me guess - you had a three valley pass ;)

Just spent an amusing few minutes playing "name that run", Don't think I did very well. If I'm correct and Roc Merlet is on the RH side, you went down into 1650 (which as any fule kno is some of the best skiing) so Pyramids is easy, and I think that Chapped Lips is the lift on the very right. Should know the VT stuff, but the Meribel is too confusing. Looks good though.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #339 on: 29 December, 2013, 07:54:50 pm »
Been ages since we've been to Mottaret, seems all the major operators that run flights from the frozen north don't have any chalets there anymore, and Pingu won't stay in Meribel itself.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #340 on: 29 December, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »
Let me guess - you had a three valley pass ;)

Yip, tho ended up exploring Meribel valley the most because of the weather.

you went down into 1650 (which as any fule kno is some of the best skiing) so Pyramids is easy,and I think that Chapped Lips is the lift on the very right.

Yes, went to 1650 on the first day and did Chapelets, Pyramids & Rochers.

Should know the VT stuff, but the Meribel is too confusing. Looks good though.

VT run was Lac Blanc and also Lac Noir above Les Menuires.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #341 on: 31 December, 2013, 11:06:35 am »
Following up, it was an interesting week, with only two days of bad weather. However, the snow was getting really really thin by the time it dumped on Wednesday, and my lovely noo skis are not happy. 'twas interesting changing from my old Salamon Streetracers to a pair of Storm Detonates http://www.stormskis.com/shop/all-terrain/detonate.html

<Ski review>
I'd regard myself as a middling ability skier, happy to go down any piste, and able to get enough thrills on a decent red to go chasing black, not particularly fast and often playing lantern rouge behind Mrs Ham. The Streetracers are heavy and like going fast, which is why I thought I might like a change. TBH, given the level of my skiing I wondered how much difference the skis would make. Answer: a lot. The Storm skis are excellent at what they are, light, initiate turns very easily, very good piste skis indeed. But. They run out of performance, while they are steady at speed, they don't give the same positive skiing on rails feeling as the Salomons, carving is several degrees less precise. Where I REALLY noticed the difference is on the toughest slope I skied all week: the red Kamikaze down into Champagny. It's a steep red, south facing, skied off but with moguls, which we did first thing in the morning so sheet ice for much, needed precise turns round the moguls which I couldn't really achieve on the skis. Didn't fall, but not for want of trying ;) I also noticed that on challenging slopes I needed more effort than the Salomons, although they did feel secure mostly.

So, worthwhile skis I would recommend for the price (especially the price I paid - 160 with bindings) but I won't be selling my Salomons. I was thinking of selling the Storms, but actually they are so easy going, I'm going to keep them, too.
</Ski review>

<Ski tip>
Following on from all the above, and given the graunching the skis received in the early part of the week, I really felt the benefit of the habit I have of marking skis left and right and keeping them that way for the most part. The  last day was fantastic - sun, great snow, so I was able to put my skis on the "wrong" feet and get a brand noo edge. (This is because you ski on the inside always)
</Ski tip>

Now looking to go February - Banff @ £800 pp flights, b&b is looking very attractive.

ETA Booked  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #342 on: 02 January, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »
I am back from Cervinia. Had a mix of too little and too much snow. 
Day 0 Sunday Routine flight and transfer to Hotel Edelweiss.
Day 1 Monday. Explore Cervinia and Valtourneche.
Day 2 Tuesday This was good, in the afternoon we skied into the local area of Zermatt. We were planning an assault of the more interesting areas of Zermatt in the next few days buy then the weather arrived.
Day 3 Wednesday The high lifts were closed and we stopped mid morning because the flat light was making us feel unwell. 
Day 4 Thursday Heavy snow, only two short blue pistes open, so another day lost.
Day 5 Friday I get up to blue skies, let's go. We queue for the bottom cable car as the bubbles are still coming out of the garage. We expect to catch the 'Plan Maison' chair but it is not open.  So we ski down to the 'Pancheron' chair but that is about to start but has an enormous queue waiting so we descend to the bottom chair and try again. Back at 'Pancheron' there is still an enormous queue but is now moving and we join it. At the top the black is closed as expected so we take the blue down past the reds which were closed, not expected. So it was back to Plan Maison still not ready so Pancheron next time Plan Maison is running and we join the queue at the top we expected 'Fornet Chair' to be running it was not but looked like it would soon. We descend back to Plan Maison and try our luck with the second bubble. We get to the top hoping to get cable car to Zermatt and Valtourneche its not running. We take the red down perhaps the chair into Valtourneche would be running, of course not.  Back up from the bottom,  Plan Maison, something new 'Fornet' chair is running but needless to say the 'Bontadini' chair to the top was not. We are trapped mid station for the remainder of the day.    It was clear that the mountain workers had a lot of work to get the pistes ready today inducing avalances and preparing pistes with uneven snow on them.  Some had very deep snow others had had all the new snow blown away.
Day 6 Saturday The weather is not so nice but as we work our way around 'Bontadini' is running but at the top the only open piste sends us back to the chair. We continue back to the middle bubble but this time the Plateau Rosa cable car is running at last we can get to a top. The way to Zermatt remains closed but we can go to Valtourneche again so we do.  As we come back the weather is closing in again. We take a wrong turn in the mist following a sign pointing "Breuil-Cervinia" and a group heading back to Valtourneche. Oops our route was on a closed piste we could see from above in good weather but not today. Rather than walk back up the hill we took it anyway.  Deep uneven snow that I cannot see properly in the mist. My inadequate technique and equipment, it was the GS skis not me honest, resulted in me sticking my skis in a drift mid piste and falling over. No problem I think as my brother disappears into the fog.  I push my hand out to push myself upright but my arm disappears into the snow. Ok I try my pole that also does not touch anything hard.  Here dies CTF on a closed unpatrolled piste where nobody will find him lying in the snow. Ok I manage to work myself closer to my skies where I could move them flat, then stood up. CTF lives! I ski to the end of the piste and join the easy bashed red until we found a place to eat.  We ski around in Cervinia and take one last ride up Pancheron and onto the red that was closed yesterday.  Visibility is still poor, I stop count my brothers and only get to one.  I look back and see a grey pile on the blue piste above. David has fallen on a blue, ha ha.  I instruct Martin to take a picture. David gets up and drops again. Eventually he continues, I shout 'This way, down here."  He replies "I am taking the blue." Very unlike him normally "I am taking the mogul field."   I descend rapidly with Martin and wait at the bottom.  He does not arrive. Perhaps he got here before us. I look at the ski area front to see if he is waiting for us lower down. He is not. Martin and I take our skis back to the shop. I return to wait at the bottom of the Piste and Martin goes back to the Hotel to look for him. After twenty minutes I give up and also go back to the hotel. Martin is waiting in the boot room but David has not been back. I took my boot off and put it on the drying rack then sat and waited.  Eventually there is the footsteps of Martin and an unusual clumping of ski boots and David arrives. He has just skied down from just below a middle chair on chopped snow with a twisted knee. He explains it took a longtime when he collapsed in pain every time he turned right. We got him an ice pack from the hotel and told him to read his book.
Day +1 Sunday I carry David's bag to the bus and we leave at 6:35. We arrive at around 10am at Turin airport and walk to check-in, so far so good. We go on to security check-in where there is an unexpected queue. Turin is normally a quiet airport especially on Sunday. We enter the departure hall expecting to find a seat.  No chance. Outside I can see ten Thomson Airway planes waiting for passengers.  We are too impatient to queue for food or drink.  This is not a problem but when the flights are called the real problem begins. Airports like Turin mostly handle internal and Schengen flights so they do not have large border control areas. Needless to say ten flights leaving within an hour to a non Schengen country like the UK are beyond its capacity.  A queue started to develop as soon as the first two Thomson flights to the UK were called. I saw this and got on the massive snaking queue as soon as out flight was called.  I could hear last calls for flights then calls for named passengers who were probably stuck in this queue. By the time I got to the front of the queue the airport had two additional people checking passports without desks rushing people through. I got to my seat on the Bristol flight with five minutes to spare. Needless to say my flight left its stand twenty minutes late. Arrived on time though.  Flying is horrible at the best of times. Thomson/Crystal bus optimisation has made it a nightmare.
Day +2 Monday Took David to the Univeristy Hospital, Cardiff, to have is knee looked at. Only a strain should be good to go to Tignes in March.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #343 on: 02 January, 2014, 04:10:37 pm »
Just cut some holes in my brand new boots for the boot heaters I'm hoping I won't actually need to fit....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #344 on: 02 January, 2014, 04:17:50 pm »
Just back from from Xcape at Milton Keynes :Rolleyes:

Whilst it's views aren't as great as it's near neighbour, John Nike Centre in Bracknell it boasts nearly 100m of mainly (OK exclusively) blue run on man made snow.

The trip was actually to help my son get his ski legs back ahead of his school trip and to that end it was perfect. Definitely better on snow, even man made and indoors, than on a dry slope. Plus may be the only skiing I get this year :(.

And boasting both a Harvester and a McDonalds the apres ski is better than Bracknell

« Reply #345 on: 02 January, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »
Just cut some holes in my brand new boots for the boot heaters I'm hoping I won't actually need to fit....

Wossat with the holes? never had to do that.

Feanor

« Reply #346 on: 02 January, 2014, 05:11:15 pm »
A wee slice at the heel of the inner boot to let the wire through so it passes up between the inner and outer.

Jakob

« Reply #347 on: 03 January, 2014, 05:54:24 am »
Well, a torn rotator cuff has limited my season to 2 hours on early season man-made snow  :'(

Here's to next season.....

« Reply #348 on: 03 January, 2014, 08:36:27 am »
You have my sympathy; if you did it the way I did my knee a couple of years back (at the same holiday stage) - that is not thrashing madly down a steep couloire but sitting down unintentionally at the top of slope without going anywhere - you will find it hurts a little more....

gws

« Reply #349 on: 03 January, 2014, 11:09:44 am »
Damn fine idea if you ask me .... Portes de Soleil area has something for everyone and is easiest  to get to. Chatel / Avoriaz come to mind. Hotel accommodation? Igluski.com have a good selection of stuff and are dependable, helpful on the phone, the people you talk to will know about skiing. Quick transfer from Geneva seems to be the best move for you. I'll add some detailed suggestions later.

Follow-up. Mrs L and Mate going to Samoens for 3 days from Jan 31st. I'm out of the dog house, I think.  ;D