Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639535 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2875 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:52:01 pm »
can't beat road runner on temp, we've only managed a poor minus 6 so far this year, we've had snow since Sunday but it's only a couple of inches. Every where is just wet and cold, hovering around freezing most of the day, fields have really turned to mush where the livestock are
and it's quite painful opening field gates when your hand sticks to them, but I'm itching to get out on the bike :thumbsup:

The lowest temperature we recorded in 2011 was -1.7°C.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2876 on: 01 February, 2012, 09:50:58 am »
I can do better than that for last winter -17C, & never went above -2 or -3C during the day for two or three weeks,
now that was cold, first time in 20 years we were actually snowed in, 4 weeks IIRC, oh the joys of winter :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2877 on: 01 February, 2012, 10:01:02 am »
Ah, but was that not 2010? I didn't get my weather station until 22nd December 2010 so I missed the coldest weather of that winter.

http://tickfield.thewalkers.org.uk/weather/almanac.htm shows all the extremes I recorded, and Boxing Day 2010 is the coldest. If I'd got the weather station a month earlier I think I'd have recorded a few -6s. Obviously not in your league, but was December 2010 not the coldest month ever recorded in Wales?

« Reply #2878 on: 01 February, 2012, 12:31:17 pm »
I can do better than that for last winter -17C, & never went above -2 or -3C during the day for two or three weeks,
now that was cold, first time in 20 years we were actually snowed in, 4 weeks IIRC, oh the joys of winter :facepalm:
Yebbut yebbut what do you expect if you live there? I'm assuming your profile location is accurate.

I reckon in the 1980s you'd have been snowed in a few times if you'd been living in the same place.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2879 on: 01 February, 2012, 06:53:52 pm »
your quite right, 2010 was that year.  And yes it was the coldest winter since the 1980's at which point I was still roughing it in Cookham, near Maidenhead, my friends dad was in charge at Boulters Lock,
I don't actually expect anything else, it just becomes a bit of a drag after a couple of weeks but we're usually well stocked up on firewood, animal food and our food, the best way of dealing with adverse weather is to just do what needs doing then sit in front of the fire drinking tea :thumbsup:

« Reply #2880 on: 01 February, 2012, 10:02:46 pm »
Decisions decisions ... I am planning to go on a 50 mile or so ride tomorrow and it will be about -5C when I set off. Should I put my Schwalbe winter tyres on the bike or stick with the 35mm ones that are already on it?
Some of the lanes might not be gritted.

« Reply #2881 on: 01 February, 2012, 10:08:24 pm »
I'd say go with the winter tyres. Better a slightly harder work ride (good training) than borking something on the hard ground.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2882 on: 01 February, 2012, 10:12:31 pm »
I'd say go with the winter tyres. Better a slightly harder work ride (good training) than borking something on the hard ground.

What Ashaman42 said. Better safe than sorry.

Frere

« Reply #2883 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:34:41 am »
now that is bloody

« Reply #2884 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:47:49 am »
No snow here, but the edges of the Menai Strait have started to freeze by my office.   :(

« Reply #2885 on: 02 February, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »

Frere

Well I did put them on and was glad I did, there was some ice in parts, although to be fair the group members without winter tyres didn't fall off either, although they did walk around a veritable glacier at one point. I loved the security of not having to worry so much about the ice. It also gave me a chance to 'ride them in', as the instructions say to do 25 miles on a hard road surface to help the studs bed in. I did 55  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2886 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »
No ice on the roads round here, or in the southern Chilterns last night. Cold enough (water in a bucket outside my back door has stayed frozen since the day before yesterday), but the roads are bone dry. Air's too dry for cars to frost up.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2887 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »
My cousin made a snow cannon today, LOL! Wanted snow, but only had -8C and sunny skies to play with.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2888 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:31:00 pm »
There is heavy snow forecast for East Anglia and Kent for Saturday night / Sunday morning, with an accompanying temperature of -3°C.

I might have to get my tyres out of the garage.

« Reply #2889 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:47:47 pm »
LOL, I love having a snow bike.  All I need to do, is pump the tyres up a bit (they've gone flat since last winter), and carry the bike downstairs. ;D

Simples.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2890 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:54:02 pm »
There's a bit of ice round here, although again it is pretty dry.

It looks like we are in for quite a bit of snow on Saturday, and I'm planning to go out for a long ride - could be interesting  :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2891 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:19:09 pm »
If it snows here I am well prepared (for a change) 40 pints of home brew porter and several demi johns of home made wine, combine that with a load of logs a stack of cycling books and appy as a  ;D

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2892 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:44:46 am »
The window thermometer, normally accurate, says -14 this morning.  It is always 2 degrees colder across The Marsh, where I have to cycle to work.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2893 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:13:00 am »
There were ice crystals growing out of the soil above Llanberis on Wednesday and it's dry!

Snow is forecast for tomorrow, but it looks like it will be the edge of the snowy weather (mostly it will be to the east).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2894 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:01:24 am »
The lowest temperature we have recorded this month has been -1.4°C yet when I take the dog out the soil is frozen solid. The mean temperature this month has been 0.7°C but the average wind speed has been 11.5kph, and north-easterly. The barometric pressure is close to the highest we've recorded.

Chris S

« Reply #2895 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:06:43 am »
The air pressure over Russia and Finland has been over 1060mb this week. That's enough to crush yer aneroids, that is  :o

« Reply #2896 on: 03 February, 2012, 11:22:21 am »
Only -3.5C last night outside my back door.

« Reply #2897 on: 03 February, 2012, 11:24:49 am »
According a friend who works there, Heathrow is looking at 60% likelihood of 5-10 cm of snow after 17:00 on Saturday.

I'm meant to be driving the horse and a friend's horse in the horse lorry to a showjumping lesson on Sunday morning.   :facepalm:

I thought putting winter tyres on my car had ensured a lack of snow/wintry weather this year!  PAH!  ;)

I'm not cycling in this weather, we have ice on the roads and I'm too nervous.  My co-ordination just isn't up to it!   :-\

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2898 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »

Frere

Well I did put them on and was glad I did, there was some ice in parts, although to be fair the group members without winter tyres didn't fall off either, although they did walk around a veritable glacier at one point. I loved the security of not having to worry so much about the ice. It also gave me a chance to 'ride them in', as the instructions say to do 25 miles on a hard road surface to help the studs bed in. I did 55  :thumbsup:
But did you ride over the glacier?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2899 on: 03 February, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »
well, bone dry clear bright skies but -15 last night and hovering around -8/9 at the moment, all water troughs & drinkers frozen solid, lots of water carrying going on, ::-)