Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639499 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3050 on: 05 February, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »
One guy who turned up for the ride had made his own snow tyres, by simply tying zip ties around his MTB tyres. Pretty effective he said, and a lot cheaper than proper studded ones. He was carrying a big pair of scissors in case of punctures.

Supposed to work quite well if you've got a compatible braking system.  The cable ties don't last that long, but neither does British snow.

« Reply #3051 on: 05 February, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »
Yes, we've discussed zip tie "studded" tyres before, somewhere in this thread, but it's 35 pages long and I can't find the first reference.

They work OK on hub or disc braked bikes, where you've got clearance around the rims.  You can also trivially fit home made snow chains to that sort of a wheel.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3052 on: 05 February, 2012, 05:49:25 pm »
Surly the Pugsley would be fine on it's standard tyres :)

Watching the news reports, hvae you noticed how many of the cars that are stuck/sliding are BMWs?  ;D

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3053 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:00:02 pm »
One of the better places to look for information on studded bicycle tyres is the Peter White Cycles website.  There are various tyres listed on there, some more suited to thick snow, other for ice.  You can probably find some of them from European suppliers (very few in the UK though), but you'll probably have to search, and as you say, it'll cost you a significant amount of money.  Even Winter Marathons, which are relatively cheap for studded tyres, are between £30 and £40 each from most suppliers (assuming they have stock).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3054 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »

Watching the news reports, hvae you noticed how many of the cars that are stuck/sliding are BMWs?  ;D

Aren't they all rear-wheel drive?

Two winters ago, we had a spectacular snowfall one evening. It had been freezing all day and in the evening the snow started. I went to my tai chi class as normal, but we knocked of early because of the weather. I cycled home on the pavement because the road was too slippery: the cars had been slushing the snow.

I got to the main road near home, which involves a short climb of no proper steepness whatever, and BMWs and Mercs were sliding all over the place. There was a massive queue at a time when normally the road was clear of traffic.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3055 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:02:59 pm »
Yes, Rear-wheel-Drive with no real weight over the driving wheels, and big fat wide tyres which don't give good grip on snow.

We had one briefly many years ago, and it was horrible in the snow.

« Reply #3056 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:46:39 pm »
Just back from a day's skiing at Yad Moss, no snow in Penrith, or Alston, some snowfall last night at Yad. We got to try out our £19.99 Lidl snow chains yesterday, after a hedgelaying competition between Staveley and Crook, near Kendal, quite easy to put on, very effective, a useful standby. This is what people look like eating Hot Pot in a snowstorm, we had another 3 and a half hours out in that, we got a bit chilly standing around waiting for the judging.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3057 on: 05 February, 2012, 07:14:57 pm »
On snow, certainly (drop the pressure to around 5-10 psi) but I'm not sure how well they'd cope with ice even running at silly low pressures. Given that it was thawing like buggery here today and it'll most definitely freeze tonight, ice is going to be more of a problem over the next few days I suspect.

Of course, I could always try the zip-tie dodge on Morticia the 1x1 ...
A snow unicycle? Nothing could possibly go wrong!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3060 on: 06 February, 2012, 01:43:33 pm »
I notice my local top class bikemonger Charlie is now stocking a selection of eye-wateringly priced studded tyres, including a 29er 2.25" one, something I have previously searched for but not found. Not at that price though.  :hand:

« Reply #3061 on: 06 February, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »
You can get what I think are the tyres which you're referring to for about £60 each, plus around £5 delivery via DHL (the exact price will depend on exchange rates) from bike-discounts.de, which I've used once so far, and found to be fairly efficient.  That's a lot better than the £90 or so that Charlie is quoting (although he has free delivery).

« Reply #3062 on: 06 February, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »
Thanks but until I feel the need to enter the Strathpuffer 24 I shall be saving my £130 (or £160 from Charlie as I get 10% discount)!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3063 on: 06 February, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »
I'm not daft enough to attempt unicycling on a normal surface, much less a snowy and icy surface.

Funnily enough, I looked at my unicycle before I left the house this morning (it was propped up next to my Brompton) and did briefly consider it... But I'm not good enough on it yet, so I would have got nowhere fast. Must do more practice.

And then, lo and behold, I saw someone with a unicycle at the station. Must have been something like a 36" wheel. Huge, anyway. Looked like a normal knobbly tyre.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3064 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:13:11 am »
A very slow thaw this morning, although roads running east-west were very treacherous partly with compacted snow and partly black ice.

I thought yesterday's thaw had seen off about half Sunday's snow, but it's less than that. There's still at least 4 inches lying and with the forecast of 12 hours of frost and some more snow tonight, it's going to be hanging around for a few more days yet I think.

My afternoon school has cancelled all clubs this week so I'll have a free afternoon. I'll take the dog for a short walk now and a longer one after lunch.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3065 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:23:15 am »
Th-th-th-that's All, Folks!

At least as far as that there londonton village is concerned. 

Snow gone.  Pretty much disappeared by last night, as my lack of success icehunting on the way home proved. 

Couple of freezing nights coming up, so there may well be ice in the mornings, though. :(
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #3066 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:35:32 am »
Still plenty of winteriness hereabouts; viz - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26458.msg1157495#msg1157495

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3067 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:37:26 am »
No sno here, but we had a hard frost last night and I had to ride over a couple of road-wide ice patches on the way in this morning. It's all thawing out now.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3068 on: 07 February, 2012, 01:37:18 pm »
Still plenty here.  And it's blooming cold at this bus stop!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3069 on: 07 February, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »
When I delved into areas where the sun doesn't shine (Churchill Gardens) there was still a full 6" or so of snow.

I notice that yesterday Shoebury had the lowest maximum temperature of anywhere in East Anglia, according to the Met Office. I've also noticed that the barometric pressure is perilously close to the highest I've recorded since buying the weather station, viz. 1040.1mb now, compared to 1041.6mb on 23/3/2011.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3070 on: 07 February, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »
I will say that I've been very impressed with the Met Office's forecasting over the past few days. It's snowed when they said it would, the fog has come and gone at the right time, and their wish seems to be the temperature's command. Is it easier to get it right when it's a cold easterly?

Chris S

« Reply #3071 on: 07 February, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »
I will say that I've been very impressed with the Met Office's forecasting over the past few days. It's snowed when they said it would, the fog has come and gone at the right time, and their wish seems to be the temperature's command. Is it easier to get it right when it's a cold easterly?

No - it's much harder. I think it's just luck. The Easterly has clearly returned; the air is much drier and the temperature has been falling all day. Looks to be well below freezing out there now (checks) - ah yes, Wattisham reporting -4c currently (and it's only 17:30).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3072 on: 07 February, 2012, 05:37:28 pm »
It's -3°C in Shoebury at the moment (well, it was a 5 p.m.) whereas we are about half a degree above that.

This is the lowest temperature I've recorded since Boxing Day 2010, and the highest barometric pressure since buying the weather station! Whoopee!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3073 on: 07 February, 2012, 06:08:12 pm »
I see that the BBC lists "hot spots" and "cold spots".

Current  the hottest of the hot is Durness!  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #3074 on: 07 February, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »
I think the forecasters will have been caught out by the depth of the cold now flooding into the SE.

The "official" forecast minimum for East Anglia (it's as precise as the Met Office goes) is -4C. Well, it's now down to -6C at Wattisham, and it's not yet 7pm.