Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639404 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3300 on: 05 December, 2012, 08:35:20 am »
We've had an inch or so as well, which inot surprising since we live less than a mile from Del. the Met Office made no mention of that on their website last night - good work!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3301 on: 05 December, 2012, 08:44:17 am »
When I last checked the weather, a couple of days ago, there was rain forecast for later in the week.  Snow is basically the same stuff, only the temperature is a bit lower.

I see it's forecast to get quite cold tonight, so we'll either get the snow frozen again (and probably impossibly rutted), or if it's melted enough, lots of ice.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3302 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:03:25 am »
Southend Borough Council have failed to get the gritters out and it's grid lock! I took to the Greenway and dodged the school kids, not one snowball came my way. It's horrible to ride on as it is so wet and compacting really quickly. This is making the virgin snow dodgy to ride on too as the front wheel is causing a harder, slippery, surface almost immediately!
Here's the Pomp on the greenway.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3303 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:04:30 am »
My lunchtime school is already closed! Apparently two of their staff have had collisions on the road this morning and they are not taking the risk of getting staff in. It's a bit of a relief to me as I can spend a bit of time doing sensible stuff rather than driving a car along the A127 for a bunch of kids whose minds won't be on chess anyway.

Del, I was awoken by a lorry with a flashing light on East Street at about 3 this morning and I assumed it to have been a gritter. Didn't get out of bed to check though. Mind you, it was coming down so fast at one point that I'm not surprised that a little bit of grit couldn't cope. Heeoooge flakes!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3304 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:19:21 am »
It's snowing in Brighton. It's the light inconsequential stuff that won't inconvenience.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3305 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:27:10 am »
We've had an inch or so as well, which inot surprising since we live less than a mile from Del. the Met Office made no mention of that on their website last night - good work!

They were warning about heavy snow showers all the way down the east coast on BBC radio and TV last night. It's not unusual for the Met Office to not warn of things though. When we had a massive thunderstorm and surface flooding back in early September the rain warning was published half an hour after the rain started falling.

No snow here, but a lot of frost. It's cold but I can't actually see a cloud in any direction at the moment.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3306 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:27:48 am »
About an inch in SW20. Any road with traffic was clear by the time I left at 8.20. Side roads with no traffic are perfectly passable. Side roads with a bit of traffic the car tyres have compressed it a bit and it is a bit slippy.

Cue one cock in a Discovery. I tried lightly trafficed side road with cars parked on both sides. one lane left in the middle and therefore with two tracks. I'm in th eleft track. Discovery approaches at about 20mph. I stop adjacent to an unparked section of street on my offside so giving Disco driver somewhere to go. Does he feck. Straight past me with inches to spare at 20mph. I had held up my hand to indicate he might want to slow down. Shame it caught his mirror.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3307 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:28:52 am »
And yes. Traffic mayhem in Kingston (long queue to get past the hospital) and at Sunbury Cross. Tailback was well over a mile long down the A308.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3308 on: 05 December, 2012, 09:48:05 am »
The roads had fairly clearly been gritted recently last night when I got in.  My route in is busy enough that I expect them to be pretty clear, excepting the very local bits, and I've got the studded tyres for anything iffy there.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3309 on: 05 December, 2012, 10:01:50 am »
A light covering in Botley, Oxford but non in the centre of town.
This is an improvement on last weeks floods!

« Reply #3310 on: 05 December, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »
Just started snowing here. We dont get gritted ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LindaG

« Reply #3311 on: 05 December, 2012, 01:29:02 pm »
The first few flakes here as well.  At least I don't have to get to/from work today.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3312 on: 05 December, 2012, 01:33:42 pm »
None here, yet, cold enough to snow too (VERY cold northern wind)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3313 on: 05 December, 2012, 01:34:50 pm »
It can't have reached that London yet, obviously.  There have been no reports of impending doom as far as I am aware.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3314 on: 05 December, 2012, 01:39:15 pm »
It can't have reached that London yet, obviously.  There have been no reports of impending doom as far as I am aware.

Had you not heard? Dusting of snow in the south east, airports closed, traffic chaos, RRtY extensions, the lot!

Nothing here in west London though, I have just ridden over to Buckinghamshire on a beautiful winter's day.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3315 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:14:16 pm »
Slight dusting the first thing for us in South Oxfordshire, got a bit heavier over The Ridgeway

LindaG

« Reply #3316 on: 05 December, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »
Snowing in Toytown and someone called Fred in Toytown is talking about the snow on 6Music, right now, whilst requesting Drinking In LA.   :D

« Reply #3317 on: 07 December, 2012, 08:33:22 am »
Heavyish sleet here in Herts at the moment.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3318 on: 07 December, 2012, 12:56:45 pm »
The snow here in the Netherlands ha put paid to my plan to cycle to Hook of Holland today, so I've been on a few trains instead and am now ensconced in the Riva bar which is currently located in Hook of Holland, but which will soon drag itself off Harwich-wards
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #3319 on: 09 December, 2012, 12:28:38 am »
Most of Helensburgh is now defrosted, but when we went up Tom na h-Airidh this afternoon it was ... marginal. The paths & tracks under the trees were clear, but where it was open there was a lovely layer of water over the compacted snow. I think cross-country spikes would have been of more benefit than trail running trainers.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3320 on: 13 December, 2012, 08:25:42 am »
We have a very thin dusting of sno at this side of town this morning.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3321 on: 13 December, 2012, 09:07:37 am »
A very light sprinkle as I walked into work today.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3322 on: 13 December, 2012, 12:27:29 pm »
I have just bought a pair of those fabric tyre covers for the car in snow, thus assuring that it will not snow again in Somerset until such a time as I have replaced this car with another with different sized wheels.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #3323 on: 13 December, 2012, 12:39:57 pm »
I have just bought a pair of those fabric tyre covers for the car in snow, thus assuring that it will not snow again in Somerset until such a time as I have replaced this car with another with different sized wheels.

If that is true, then please move to Denmark :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm tired of the snow, it makes it impossible to do long rides in the countryside. Only big  main roads have been bike friendly the last 2 weeks  >:(

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #3324 on: 13 December, 2012, 01:34:10 pm »
A very light sprinkle as I walked into work today.

When you've got to go, you've got to go...