Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639689 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3325 on: 14 December, 2012, 08:10:42 am »
Due to a restless night and need to work first thing this morning I have only just gotten around to looking out of the window and we have a light dusting of snow here!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3326 on: 14 December, 2012, 09:28:53 am »
It's trying to snow here, in a pathetic half-arsed sort of way. We're as giddy as children hoping it'll get really heavy and we'll get sent home.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

« Reply #3327 on: 14 December, 2012, 09:37:56 am »
It's melting here (cue "The Witch Is Dead")
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3328 on: 14 December, 2012, 09:39:43 am »
7°C here, and to rain all day, allegedly.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3329 on: 14 December, 2012, 11:27:12 pm »
It's been raining here all day, although it usually seems to take twelve hours or so for your weather to get to us. I suppose it's usually our weather getting to you actually, especially if it's rain! Anyway, it was sleeting lightly when I left the pub last night so the rain today is a let down.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3330 on: 15 December, 2012, 04:10:54 pm »
CAVOK (aka sunny) here in Moscow. -17C though...  :o

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #3331 on: 16 December, 2012, 08:19:28 pm »
Lots of melting in Glencoe today, no winter climbing got done. Might get some snow up in the Cairngorms tomorrow though.  ;D

It's snowing!
« Reply #3332 on: 13 January, 2013, 05:47:10 pm »
It's been snowing for about an hour here ( Newcastle-u-Lyme ) and it's sticking. Luckily I prepped the mtb with the studs today for tonight's outing.  :)
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3333 on: 14 January, 2013, 06:51:05 am »
We've got a few inches down here - South Oxfordshire. I'll take the Pugsley out while it lasts!!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3334 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:15:55 am »
A slight dusting in Saarth East London....

« Reply #3335 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:27:19 am »
About 1cm here in Warwick. No school closures!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

It's snowing!
« Reply #3336 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:40:35 am »
Had a bit overnight in east Yorkshire but only a dusting really, nothing on the roads. Supposed to get a load this afternoon though

« Reply #3337 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:47:29 am »
West Herts has about 2cm, but stopped now, forecast for light snow/sleet later, so not as bad as it could have been.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

essexian

« Reply #3338 on: 14 January, 2013, 07:55:42 am »
An inch or so here in Stafford.

I am supposed to be driving to Boston Lincs this afternoon. Is anyone down that way able to give me a update please. To be honest, the idea of driving 120 miles in snow isn't my idea of fun so I would like to cancel.

Stay safe.

« Reply #3339 on: 14 January, 2013, 08:32:08 am »
There was a light dusting of snow overnight in Croydon, but it's barely settled on the cars and plants.  Anything on the ground has melted.

It's not going to stop me cycling into work, I've got the studded tyres on Vince, so even if the temperature take a significant dive from the -1.7°C I'm currently seeing for Biggin Hill, it's not going to make any difference to me.

Heathrow and Gatwick are reporting a balmy 0°C, so it's not particularly cold out there.  I may put some gloves on.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3340 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:17:31 am »
There must have been some snow overnight, but it hasn't settled, except on cars.  A bit of ice on the roads, and a a few flakes fluttering down as I rode, but relatively weather-free here.

Considering the studded tyres.
Getting there...

« Reply #3341 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:31:58 am »
Yep, it’s settled on the cars but the ground is merely wet so commute not a problem. May become more of a problem if moisture on the ground freezes overnight/tomorrow, which is supposed to be a few degrees colder, though the roads appear well gritted.

I’ll be on the bus if it does freeze; don’t think you can get studded tires for Bromptons and even if you could I’m not the slightest bit inclined to wrestle with them. #avoidsallbutesstentialfettling

« Reply #3342 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:38:20 am »
slight dusting here this morning but already melting :(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3343 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:41:02 am »
... don’t think you can get studded tires for Bromptons ...

Correct.  The smallest studded tyres I'm aware of, are 20" (42-406) Winter Marathons (and I imagine they're probably difficult to easily get hold of).  There's nothing as small as a 16" studded tyre.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3344 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:53:58 am »
It's snowing lightly again here.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3345 on: 14 January, 2013, 10:07:59 am »
Snowed persistently but without much settling yesterday here. The rain overnight cleared everything away though and now we have bright sunshine with hardly any cloud.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LindaG

« Reply #3346 on: 14 January, 2013, 10:36:05 am »
A very light sprinkle last night, which felt nice on my face after a hot busy day.  It had mostly melted by this morning but it's properly snowing here now.  It looks like it might lie, too.

« Reply #3347 on: 14 January, 2013, 10:59:33 am »
We woke to a thin covering, which is still on the ground. Melted on roads, melting elsewhere. Thin sprinkling of fine snow coming down. It's starting to look wet now. Turning to sleet.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

« Reply #3348 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:04:47 am »
As others have said, a light dusting overnight, but now it is piling down, and laying nicely.

« Reply #3349 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:13:56 am »
Mrs B just phoned me. She was leaving a school where she had an appointment, but turned up to find the school shut due to broken down heating. Of course, they didn't bother to tell her office (not her directly) until she was already at her previous appointment, 11 miles away. So she's driving several extra miles through what she tells me is heavy snow around High Wycombe.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897