Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639567 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3350 on: 14 January, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »
An inch or so here in Stafford.

I am supposed to be driving to Boston Lincs this afternoon. Is anyone down that way able to give me a update please. To be honest, the idea of driving 120 miles in snow isn't my idea of fun so I would like to cancel.

Stay safe.

I am roughly half way there in Loughborough.  About an inch here and still coming down but at a reduced rate.

« Reply #3351 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:16:23 pm »
Snowing quite hard here in Winnersh Triangle, however the ground is wet from the melt of the overnight snow so it is not settling. All we need is a drop of a couple of degrees to freeze the wet ground and it would pile up quite nicely.

Glad I still have the Marathon Winters fitted.  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3352 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:21:50 pm »
It has stopped here, and the temp must be at the point where it's not going to stay.  The road outside the house is nearly clear of slush now and the drive (and the car) are starting to clear.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3353 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:26:57 pm »
Now in north London: Wet snow, not settling.  Probably icy tomorrow early norming.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3354 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:31:54 pm »
Enough precipitation to make me commute by car this afternoon. Not sure about its state of flux.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3355 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:35:59 pm »
Been snowing steadily but not heavily here in Hemel, but not settling on anything remotely gritted, just on the parked cars, maybe another cm. looking increasingly wet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3356 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »
FINALLY! Proper Pugsley weather ;D

(coming down quite heavily on the outskirts of York, and its sticking too!)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3357 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »

Enjoy it while it lasts. Managed to get out first hung but it's all turned to rain here now :(

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3358 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:40:24 pm »
Large lumps now and starting to settle in NW London.  Everywhere is well gritted and it's not yet cold enough for it to be a problem, but everywhere is starting to look pretty.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3359 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:40:38 pm »

Enjoy it while it lasts. Managed to get out first hung but it's all turned to rain here now :(
Well, if it does turn to rain then I'll at least find out how effective the Dave's Mud Shovel mudguards are. Every cloud, and all that ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3360 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:44:54 pm »
Current view from the office:

Unfortunately, I had to drive in to work today :(

(snow coverage first thing was approximately 9/10 of bugger all)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #3361 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:53:43 pm »
All OK here in the mild, mild west - was a light dusting on top of the mendips (c.250m) this morning though. Sticking to main roads either way.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3362 on: 14 January, 2013, 01:59:19 pm »

Well, if it does turn to rain then I'll at least find out how effective the Dave's Mud Shovel mudguards are. Every cloud, and all that ;)

I can answer that for you if you like :) Just to save you the bother of going out in the cold. But it's in a spoiler if you want that crucial element of surprise ;D

(click to show/hide)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3363 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »
The view out of my office window here on the eighth floor of Evil Towers:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3364 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:05:47 pm »
Now stopped out in Winnersh,  :( It did't settle  >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3365 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:06:55 pm »
The sun's come out in Brummingham and melted all the snow.

Nice weather for a bike ride ...for the next hour or so.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3366 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:12:47 pm »
We seem to have transitioned from big, fat fluffy flakes to teeny-tiny flakes (it's definitely snow, as its blowing around a bit) and the few remaining cars all have quite a covering. The forecast indicates that it's not going to be going anywhere quickly (below freezing for much of the rest of the week)

A bigger problem may turn out to be fog - it's already quite misty and being in the Vale of York means we're very good at fog.

A stark contrast to this morning, where I had to battle through literally millimetres of snow.

The only folks left in the office now are those of us that actually live in York - the last of the Leeds/Harrogate contingent left at lunchtime and one guy from Kirbymoorside1 left earlier this morning.

1 - heavy snow up there, which bodes well for snowy, fat-bike fun at Dalby Forest  :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #3367 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:18:34 pm »
Deffo melting here, but the forecast is for it drop below 0C shortly (i.e. within the next hour or so), so tomorrow morning will be slippery :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3368 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:21:15 pm »
Go and see what Shark Lane's like, tiermat!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3369 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:22:14 pm »
Coming down quite hard in Harlot but not settling properly yet.  It could get interesting after dark thobut.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

« Reply #3370 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:22:23 pm »
Now there is a sensible idea!  ::-)

Shall I see how much further I can go sideways? Or shall I cheat and put the RaceKings on first :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3371 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:24:13 pm »
Now there is a sensible idea!  ::-)

Shall I see how much further I can go sideways? Or shall I cheat and put the RaceKings on first :)
*cough*fatbike*cough* ;D

« Reply #3372 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:32:49 pm »
I saw the very light covering on some plants, and cars, for at least the first half of my commute, but not a lot beyond Tooting Bec Common.

We've had big fluffy snowflakes dropping for a while in South Ken, but it's too warm for them to settle, so it's just making the ground damper.  The forecast is for the temperatures to just about hit freezing tonight, so there may be some ice.  Tomorrow night is forecast to be significantly colder (minimum of -4°C on the Met Office site, -7°C on XCWeather!), so ice is much more likely.

I'm not about to take my Marathon Winters off, the certainty of being able to cycle across anything is worth leaving them on for.  I'll review this, and swap over to the Marathon Plus tyres at the weekend, if necessary.
Actually, it is rocket science.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3373 on: 14 January, 2013, 02:35:28 pm »
First thing I need to do when I get home is to let some of the air out of Pugsley's tyres - 15psi ought to do it, maybe a bit less if it turns icy.

« Reply #3374 on: 14 January, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »
Well it apperas most of the companies on the Hemel Industrial estate have decided that staff can leave at 3pm. With the inevitable result that the main road through the esate is now at a standstill  ::-).  I guess one of the advantages to being a contractor is I'll be here at 4 still, when the traffic will have died down again  ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)