Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639370 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3450 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »
Still nothing in Liverpool.  Bugger!  This means that staff in our partner office in St Albans won't turn in and we'll have to do all the work!  Bloody southerners!  :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3451 on: 17 January, 2013, 09:44:54 pm »
Well, my lazy fuckwit students failed to do as I asked on Tuesday afternoon, whan I had to leave them alone for about an hour un-supervised.

After testing the mega-expensive doo-hicky in the yard with water in it's sample-line, PLEASE to be blowing it clear with compressed air in the manner I have shown.   UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES to be leaving it full of water overnight, where it will freeze, and cause damage to many expensive seals within the instrument.

So what did they do?
Yes, left it full of water.
Because the air line had been 'rolled up back into it's reel, and we didn't know how to pull it back out'.

Uuh, you pull it.   Like a tyre inflating hose at a garage.
Like I did during the demo.

FFS.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3452 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:01:47 am »
Fuck me, it's snowing here! It never snows here!

That decides it. I'm staying home and dusting off the bike for a Snow Ride. I love riding with the snow coming down. Particularly at night.

There were a few desultory flakes that didn't settle a little further east this morning, but it's been more like a fine sleet since then. Going by what I read elsewhere, the proper SNOpocalypse isn't due to hit the country until tomorrow, just in time for the rush hour...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21064235

Looks like those few flakes were exceedingly transitory, then. In fact, it warmed up significantly not long after I'd posted that and started to rain.

The weather website I use is still forecasting "heavy snow" for my postcode for 24hrs starting at 0700. I'll eat my hat if that happens.

« Reply #3453 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:23:37 am »
Some light snow here in Southampton

« Reply #3454 on: 18 January, 2013, 06:10:48 am »
Dense, freezing fog over here near Seattle.  Roadways glazed with black ice.

« Reply #3455 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:17:33 am »
Snowing quite heavily here, just east of Basingstoke. MrsH's school decided yesterday that it wouldn't be open. The kids go to school on buses hired by the council. The bus company that runs their route decided that they wouldn't run this morning, so the kids are here too.

Tempted to go into the office (I normally work from home) so I can have a quiet working day!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3456 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:21:39 am »
Devon Somerset border, woke up to maybe an inch of snow.  It's still falling and now have about 2 inches.  Visibility is poor.

I've run out of coffee so I am going to have to go out...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3457 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:22:06 am »
I seem to be the whole department today.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pancho

« Reply #3458 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:26:26 am »
Loads of snow!

I'm going to work from home today. Or rather, I'm going to ride my bike today.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3459 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:33:36 am »
Brighton here.

Up until 8am this morning … no snow. Now at 8.30 we have a steady fall of light 'pill'-like snow – no lovely flakes I'm afraid. It is beginning to lay on roofs, etc, but doesn't feel particularly cold. Will keep you updated.

Now back to you in the studio.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #3460 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:33:36 am »

Southampton usually gets let off.  when I worked there I had to email in pictures of my snowed in car in Purbrook, because the boss thought I was swinging the lead.  The fact that I produce a load of work at home didn't convince her that anyone working from home did actually work.  don't judge us by your standards, old bat!

I've just emailed my current employer in Gosport to say I'm not moving.  About 50mm of snow and its throwing it down out there.  Dog is confused (not seen snow before) but then our dog only has an 8086 processor...  The A3 may well be O.K., but its getting t it thats the problem.   I've got a project to get on with, so why add to the undoubted chaos out there.
Wombat

Pancho

« Reply #3461 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:39:06 am »
@Wombat - what's the chance of me getting to a little village just outside Petersfield?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3462 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:40:03 am »
I get out of bed when my alarm goes off (unusual, lately, for me)

I get dresses, have my coffee and head out the door at 06:10.

I walk to the station, see the EC train that goes before mine leave the station (so all well and good so far).

I buy a ticket.

I walk up the ramp onto the platform and look at the display. NO 06:23 SHOWING!!!! It's only 06:19, so I know I haven't missed it.

I stand there for a while, a couple of people ask me if it is coming (it has got to about 06:27 by this time).

I run down the ramp to the ticket office, and find the train is still on the display there.

I check the TPE app which is showing the train as somewhere between NTR and THI, SHIT!!!

I go back up the ramp, to hear an announcement over the tannoy that the 06:23 is running late, and that it will terminate at York, with an onward bus service.

"Fuck it" I think and go home...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pancho

« Reply #3463 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:40:53 am »

Southampton usually gets let off.  when I worked there I had to email in pictures of my snowed in car in Purbrook, because the boss thought I was swinging the lead.  The fact that I produce a load of work at home didn't convince her that anyone working from home did actually work.  don't judge us by your standards, old bat!

Guilty as charged. See my post above.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3464 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:42:54 am »

Well that might raise an eyebrow or two at work - good job you've not made it in!  ;D
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3465 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:46:39 am »
Coming down quite heavily now. Think the Pugsley may get an outing :smug:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3466 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:48:37 am »

Well that might raise an eyebrow or two at work - good job you've not made it in!  ;D

DAMN! My secret is out!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pancho

« Reply #3467 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:48:49 am »
No onions in Morrisons.

For goodness sake, it is supposed to rain on Sunday. Panic buying onions? Gah!

That's the thing to remember about panic buying - make sure you're the first to panic.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3468 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:53:05 am »
....and I made it on the 1 mile round trip to the shops and back!

Bike has ice tyres but I could have ridden it on normal tyres with a bit of tread.  The snow is turning to slush and there is no ice

Wombat

« Reply #3469 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:58:18 am »
@Wombat - what's the chance of me getting to a little village just outside Petersfield?

Not good at all, most of those, such as Steep, for example disintegrate in snow of any sort.  I may be able to phone or email someone in buriton who will know more locally.  More info later.
Wombat

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3470 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:58:28 am »
Just started in W4 - HTFU and ride up to Hampstead or take train?  Discretion may be the better part of valour just at the moment......
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3471 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:02:21 am »
SouthWest trains have published their 'snow timetable' for tomorrow already, and it isn't doing anything yet in Central London (nor in much of their network AFAIK).

So down to 4 trains an hour instead of 6 (they add two in the rush hour), the semi fast (starts in Windsor) will now be the slow and stop absolutely everywhere, because the train that usually does that has to come all the way from deepest darkest Weybridge and can't do the bit between there and Virginia Water.

It will either be chaos as more people per train, or some folks decide not to bother and its Friday.

Not sure I want to find out - provided nothing goes t*ts up with the Piccadilly Line, I'll take the tube.

Reducing the frequency and close the branch lines - No Ash - Ascot - Hounslow - Waterloo or Weighbridge - Virginia Water - Richmond - Waterloo services.

Fortunately I need neither of these but I think my Marathon Winter tyres will be on the bike and with me in the morning so that I at least have a fall back if the trains get worse come home time.

Best of luck matthew.  My daughter in law works at Garth School in Bracknell and the predictions are for heavier snow than here.

I got the Piccadilly Line in the end.  It might be crowded and smelly sometimes, but (cross fingers) it tends to be more reliable in adverse weather (which in London, we don't actually have yet).

Just looked behind me out of the window, and a very fine icing sugar dusting is coming down.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3472 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:03:19 am »
Enjoyable ride in on the hybrid.  It's been snowing since last night but only the side roads are difficult.  Hardly any traffic at all.
I suspect that the ride home may have more comedy value.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3473 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:04:46 am »
It also started in Croydon a short while ago.  Very small flakes, which are leaving a thin layer on stuff at the moment.  Whether it'll get thicker or just build up I don't know, but it's definitely settling.

I'm not fussed, I'll leave in a short while anyway, that's why I've got studded tyres on the bike!

Zev was a bit curious, peering out through the back door, but hasn't been tempted to go out and investigate.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wombat

« Reply #3474 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:05:41 am »

Not good at all, most of those, such as Steep, for example disintegrate in snow of any sort.  I may be able to phone or email someone in buriton who will know more locally.  More info later.

forget it, Pancho.  Just spoken to Wendy, not a hope!  Off the A3 its just no-go.  The flakes are getting much bigger here in Purbrook, it is absolutely lobbing it down.
Wombat