Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639496 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3525 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:36:59 pm »
There's no wind at all though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3526 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:37:54 pm »
All the schools are shut- closed early.
There's not a single flake falling.

FFS.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3527 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:41:02 pm »
There's no wind at all though.

It's rather blowy up here (from the South East). St Bees Head, about 3 miles away has been recording wind speeds of 30-40mph (average) all day
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3528 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:43:43 pm »
yr.no is forecasting "moderate breeze from east-southeast" here (bristol) now and for tomorrow - but it isn't actually happening out there!

« Reply #3529 on: 18 January, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »
I heard a lovely, expensive sounding crunch earlier as I witnessed a wankpanzer driver hit a kerb as s/he came round a corner too fast. They drove off, but there must've been damage.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3530 on: 18 January, 2013, 03:30:31 pm »
Currently about 5-6 inches just east of Basingstoke and still snowing lightly.
I went for a walk into the village earlier; the main road (A30) is clear with very little traffic. Looking around the houses here it seems most people have stayed at home - which is unsurprising as Basingstoke tends to go into complete gridlock when the snow falls, resulting in people being stuck in their cars for hours. I guess being a Friday helps to make that decision for people too; taking a long weekend is easier to justify to yourself than a mid-week day.
As someone who normally works from home it's made little difference to me.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3531 on: 18 January, 2013, 03:40:54 pm »
After a pretty few hours of snoflakes drifting around in flurries, but not really settling, it has given up in Very Central London
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #3532 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »
TGL says it must be deep because you can't see the weeds in the front garden ::-).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3533 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »
drivers were great,  :o rode to my sisters for a coffee, then went with her to meet BiL and Niece for sledging. Rode on to the station for the last of the way home as the Marathon Winters when soft are hard work and my feet were getting cold from the sledging. good 4 - 6 inches on the ground but gritted roads are running well and traffic volumes are right down.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3534 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:38:06 pm »
What a drag. I was meant to be doing a special training course over the weekend just south of Brum, travelling tonite from London by road. I decided to cancel a couple of hours ago as the hotel is in the sticks with snowed up minor roads - and now it all looks just fine. I suspect I was too quick to cancel.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3535 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:44:49 pm »
Greengrocer's is both running out of produce - no supplies - and Caikye Shoppe had only a few pieces of some awful cherry thing left.  :(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3536 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:45:41 pm »
They closed the office early today...

...but I'm working from home...  :(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3537 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »
It has now stopped snowing in London's famous London.  Chiz.
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #3538 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:46:21 pm »
I'm catching trains to London and across London tomorrow. Hmmm.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3539 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:49:44 pm »
I'm just about to leave the office to try to get a train home. Byeeeeeee!

« Reply #3540 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:51:25 pm »

same here too.  Not even enough to cover the garden path. Boo.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3541 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:53:11 pm »
I'm catching trains to London and across London tomorrow. Hmmm.

Important Information:

We have a teapot and cake.  And are near Londonton.

(we can also meet you in town if you like :) )
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #3542 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:59:34 pm »
I'm going to see Grandad in Cobham.  My KX train gets in at 1615. Will then probly tube it to Waterloo.

« Reply #3543 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:00:57 pm »
Not even started here in Southend. I've seen a handful of small flakes float by the window but that's it!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3544 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »
Just been on a mission to panic-buy chocolate.

The Marathon Winters finally justified themselves.  The bike isn't rated for fluffy snow, which our road is ankle deep in at present, but they maintained just about adequate grip (read: I'd have preferred a mountain bike) on the packed stuff in the car tracks.  Once on the main road it was slush and ice, on which they performed admirably.  They're quite hard work at low pressure, though, aren't they?

Cars were struggling.  The only vehicle that attempted to overtake me was a tractor.

I saw two BSOists riding on the (ungritted, snow-packed) pavements, one with carrier bags on handlebars.  I know BSO tyres can be surprisingly grippy, but that's still hardcore.   :o

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3545 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:13:11 pm »
What a drag. I was meant to be doing a special training course over the weekend just south of Brum, travelling tonite from London by road. I decided to cancel a couple of hours ago as the hotel is in the sticks with snowed up minor roads - and now it all looks just fine. I suspect I was too quick to cancel.
Ha.  Just called hotel @ Alvechurch nr Redditch and they said its freezing and going to snow overnight, B roads not passable and vehicles stuck on the main road so told me not to come. That's good to know as I was just thinking of giving it a go - drive for 3 hours to find I cant get the last 5 miles and come home again is not a good plan really.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3546 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:20:27 pm »
I saw two BSOists riding on the (ungritted, snow-packed) pavements, one with carrier bags on handlebars.  I know BSO tyres can be surprisingly grippy, but that's still hardcore.   :o
If you're a BSOist, you're probably riding from necessity not enthusiasm, so greater incentive to get to your destination. The only cyclist I saw climbing our hill, which although not proper steep is a bit of a drag and defeated most of the few cars that attempted it this morning, was a double-boinger. He was on the road though.

« Reply #3547 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:24:42 pm »
Ha.  Just called hotel @ Alvechurch nr Redditch and they said its freezing and going to snow overnight, B roads not passable and vehicles stuck on the main road so told me not to come. That's good to know as I was just thinking of giving it a go - drive for 3 hours to find I cant get the last 5 miles and come home again is not a good plan really.
I was going to advise caution. It's not good up this way on the main roads. Alvechurch, nice though it is, is off the beaten track...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3548 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:29:52 pm »
According to Metcheck we (CM8) will get snow any minute and it will continue throughout the weekend.  They are forecasting snow and sleet all next week.  I will believe it when I see it.

I shall be out on me Marathon Winters on Sunday and possibly the following Sunday when I have a pass for my first all-day ride of 2013.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3549 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:39:46 pm »
I was going to advise caution. It's not good up this way on the main roads. Alvechurch, nice though it is, is off the beaten track...

Seconded.  Main roads are just about keeping up with slushifying the fresh snow as it falls (which is still problematic for standard cars), but anything not heavily used is going to be deep fluffy or compacted snow.  A bike with ice tyres can just about cope.  It's treacherous on foot.  Don't even think about it in a car - there are going to be too many stuck cars in the way.