Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639924 times)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3575 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:09:43 am »
It has just started snowing here in Kent, right on cue!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3576 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:32:27 am »
No more here, yet but forecast for all day on and off snowfalls. Garage fettling today, then.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3577 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:47:37 am »
Started falling again here

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3578 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:00:59 am »
A small dusting overnight but it seems to be snowing now in very small flakes.

According to my weather station we didn't have a frost yesterday: the maximum temperature was 1.4°C and the minimum was 0.3°C.

It's -0.3°C at the moment.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3579 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:07:19 am »
Although we had 10-12cm here, it hovered just above freezing all day. Not enough to make slush of the snow, but sufficient to make clearing the stuff a doddle. We are in a cul-de-sac at the turning area on a slope, so no doubt we'll witness some moronic, first-gear, tyre-screaming drivers today, as it's now well below freezing and looks rather slippery.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3580 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:13:19 am »
Yesterday the snow of the footways had either been cleared, or was mostly gone, and a bit slushy, and the roads were mostly cleared by traffic.  Currently in Croydon it's now snowing very finely, which is slowly covering stuff up again.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3581 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:43:49 am »
It appears that the road outside my house, which is one of only 4 thoroughfares connection the east of Southend to the West, over the continuous barrier which constitutes the railway line and the pedestrianised high street, has not been gritted. We are forecast to have about 12 hours' continuous heavy snow.

This will be interesting by mid-afternoon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3582 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:32:28 am »
Here on the West Herts/Bucks border, its been falling since 9. Same as Friday, fine powdery snow. Just under 1cm of fresh accumulation. As its well below freezing it should be a doddle to brush off the car before bed (by which time it should have stopped falling...) ready for the morning.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

It's snowing!
« Reply #3583 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:34:52 am »
Snowing a bit here. There was just enough at the woods yesterday to do this...

Might be even better with a bit more snow, although to be fair, it is pretty sleety at the moment and definitely not that lovely off piste powder that we would prefer.
Spinning, but not cycling...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3584 on: 20 January, 2013, 12:10:27 pm »
About 5cm of snow has settled here in outer Londonton since 8am. Temperature just below freezing in the outhouses.
Getting self, wheelchair and projector to Camden Cyclists tomorrow could be problematic.

It's snowing!
« Reply #3585 on: 20 January, 2013, 12:14:32 pm »
Less than that here. It would be generous to describe it as 1cm and definitely not below zero as snow melting on our paths. It is starting to snow harder though. Going to the woods later to top up the seed feeders and hitch up an auxiliary battery as the solar panels aren't working as they are covered with snow.
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #3586 on: 20 January, 2013, 12:32:24 pm »
In a village here in North Oxfordshire I reckon about 15cm on top of the bin with more coming down, near suicidal, two pubs one 30 mins (normal) walk along the canal and t'other 20 mins over the fields, as Captain Oates said "I might be gone some time"   :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3587 on: 20 January, 2013, 12:33:30 pm »
Here in mid-Essex it's being snowing for the last few hours, we have about 2cm.  Myself and Oaky have been out for 18 miles on our Marathon Winters.  It was all going so well until a combination of steep road camber and fresh snow covering sheet ice had me measuring my length on the road.  The front wheel just disappeared from under me in a nano second.  We conducted a crash investigation and concluded the road camber initiated a front wheel slide on the ice and the covering of fresh snow prevented the spikes from getting a grip.  I have a bruised knee and bumped my head which may have been my bonce hitting the deck or might have been Oaky giving it a glancing blow with his front wheel.  I was wearing my Magic Hat TM so no harm was done.

Much fun despite the crash.  Claud the bike is fine, in case you're worried  ;D

spindrift

« Reply #3588 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:13:53 pm »
Check out the warm front from the west meeting the icy winds from the north east and bringing the snow up from the south-west:

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

The snow clouds are three dimensional. Yikes.

Those warm fronts trying push through are just making it worse! They're thinking "Here I come, love warm, moist air!" and the cold front's just shrugging and blocking it and turning it to snow.

rr

Re: Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3589 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:20:22 pm »
Here in mid-Essex it's being snowing for the last few hours, we have about 2cm.  Myself and Oaky have been out for 18 miles on our Marathon Winters.  It was all going so well until a combination of steep road camber and fresh snow covering sheet ice had me measuring my length on the road.  The front wheel just disappeared from under me in a nano second.  We conducted a crash investigation and concluded the road camber initiated a front wheel slide on the ice and the covering of fresh snow prevented the spikes from getting a grip.  I have a bruised knee and bumped my head which may have been my bonce hitting the deck or might have been Oaky giving it a glancing blow with his front wheel.  I was wearing my Magic Hat TM so no harm was done.

Much fun despite the crash.  Claud the bike is fine, in case you're worried  ;D
I was considering taking the mountain  bike out sounds like a good thing i didn't.
Now off to discovery centre for sledging .

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #3590 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:24:37 pm »

Getting on for a couple of cms here in Kent, very pretty but bored of it now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3591 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »
Played snowballs yesterday morning with Little Cudzo. His aim isn't too good but he got one shot right up my nose - literally, I had a nostril full of snow! Quite a laugh.  ;D The two he got down the back of my neck were less amusing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3592 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:43:11 pm »
The light snow we've had falling for hours hasn't made an awful lot of difference in Croydon, it's barely added to the crunchy snow that was out there already.

Yesterday on my commute, I did skid a few times, and it was in places where the snow was thinning, at the end of the cycle paths where there was some salt, and which reduced the snow to a slushy and iffy state.  Luckily, unlike Oscar's Dad, the wheel just slid for a short distance before regaining grip.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LindaG

« Reply #3593 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:52:57 pm »
It's been coming down all day in Cobham. Which is a good thing as it's actually made the icy pavements more walkable. Walking to the shops with a 92 year old makes you realise why bad weather is such a nightmare for older people. They really should prioritise salting and clearing the pavements.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3594 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »
Its been snowing here in Hither Green since early this morning and its not looking as if its stopping anytime soon. Probably over 10cm here now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3595 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »
Now looks like 8-9cm here.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3596 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:45:56 pm »
Barakta has expressed a desire to go and play in the snow...

ETA:  She did!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3597 on: 20 January, 2013, 03:34:52 pm »
It's been coming down all day in Cobham. Which is a good thing as it's actually made the icy pavements more walkable. Walking to the shops with a 92 year old makes you realise why bad weather is such a nightmare for older people. They really should prioritise salting and clearing the pavements.

Not just older people.  I bumped into a friend's husband on Friday and asked how they were getting on with the snow - basically he said that it is a complere 'mare.  Brittle bones, y'see.  She had a fall in snow a few years ago and it took two years (following pretty significant surgery and a fair while of needing nursing) for her to really heal.  They've moved house so that their kids can play out in a garden whatever the weather, but she is effectively housebound from the first snowflake until the thaw because the implications of another slip are too serious and the chances of a slip are too high.  Bring on the thaw, as far as I'm concerned :(

« Reply #3598 on: 20 January, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »
You can watch the kids opposite building a snowman live on my webcam at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/soslug

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3599 on: 20 January, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
I have to make an apology.

It's my fault that it is snowing.

I have a week off, see.

With the intention of getting some cycling done (having only managed two rides THIS YEAR!).

So, SORRY
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State