Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639499 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3600 on: 20 January, 2013, 05:35:31 pm »
Took the dog for a five mile walk in the snow today.  Stopped at the Royal Oak at Barrington for lunch.

Jack loves the snow and, despite it snowing the whole time we were out, he doesn't seem to be that affected by the cold.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3601 on: 20 January, 2013, 05:40:56 pm »
Barakta has expressed a desire to go and play in the snow...

ETA:  She did!

Kewl!   :D  :thumbsup:

You look to have similar amounts of skysnot to us here in Rugby.  :)

« Reply #3602 on: 20 January, 2013, 05:50:12 pm »
I have to make an apology.

It's my fault that it is snowing.

I have a week off, see.

With the intention of getting some cycling done (having only managed two rides THIS YEAR!).

So, SORRY

Ditto, took a week off for my 65th Birt, go to see Mum in law, no chance, get the trikes and do a few rides we have been planning, no chance, take dog for a walk to the pub a few times, game on  :) after bribing her (my wee hairy dog) she skipped out of the door and seemed to quite enjoy it, someone built an igloo of sorts for their children to have a sleep over by their narrowboat in Thrupp (Oxfordshire) cool or what  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3603 on: 20 January, 2013, 06:36:16 pm »
Went to the pub on the Hybrid at about 3:30.  Just to see how it was in view of tomorrow's commute.  My mate (the one who is always coming on our rides, but never turns up.) insisted on driving me home in his van.
So that's it.  My update on My Cycling Logs for the entire weekend is 1.2 miles.  >:(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3604 on: 20 January, 2013, 07:14:35 pm »
Had about 2-2 1/2 inches over the course of the day down here in Eastbourne, should be fun for the commute tomorrow.

Main roads fairly clear but the cul de sac and the industrial estate at work will be a bit trecherous so rather take the bike than the car.

Early night though and earlier alarm than usual as it will be slow, doubt I'll break a 10mph average especially as the middle few miles of the commute is a road that is sometimes cleared by the farmer and sometimes virgin snow. Hoping for the later to be honest as whilst it's harder work it's more fun.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #3605 on: 20 January, 2013, 07:55:22 pm »
Warwick was sposed to get light amounts today, but it hasn't stopped all day. Not heavy fall, but persistent. I've just cleared the drive, but it's already getting a covering again. Lots of Warwickshire schools are closed tomorrow, but mainly in the north & east of the county over towards the Great White Bear in Rugby. Good!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3606 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:28:39 pm »
I could do with getting into work early tomorrow, and the earlier I go, the easier the snow and ice will likely be, before the cars have much chance to overly churn it up.  This may be a basis for setting the alarm stupidly early, and cycling into work in the dark.  The snow here doesn't seem to have done anything overly dramatic, but it has put another layer on top of the half melted and refrozen snow and slush.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3607 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:50:55 pm »
Warwick was sposed to get light amounts today, but it hasn't stopped all day. Not heavy fall, but persistent. I've just cleared the drive, but it's already getting a covering again. Lots of Warwickshire schools are closed tomorrow, but mainly in the north & east of the county over towards the Great White Bear in Rugby. Good!

Yeah, I'm pissed off about this.  The stuff that hit South Wales on Friday hit also hit the West Midlands.  This time it's hitting the South East and also the bloody West Midlands.  It's not stopped here for three days and it's still bloody snowing. 
Snot fair.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3608 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:02:19 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/Winterwatch_1963_The_Big_Freeze/

Before you start complaining about snow, have a look at what we had to put up with in 1963...  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3609 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:03:43 pm »

Before you start complaining about snow, have a look at what we had to put up with in 1963...  :P

But as you lived in Black and White back then, didn't it just help with the contrast :P
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LindaG

« Reply #3610 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:27:56 pm »
Quote from: mcshroom qlink=topic=27561.msg1402570#msg1402570 date=1358719423

But as you lived in Black and White back then, didn't it just help with the contrast :P

My grandad cycle commuted six miles each way through that winter.

« Reply #3611 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:38:41 pm »

Uphill both ways?  :P
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

LindaG

« Reply #3612 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:41:36 pm »

Probably. He got a flat one day and was invited into a nearby cottage for a hot drink. They still had a swept earth floor and no running water.

Then he licked 't road clean.

He tells me there was still snow on the verges in June.

« Reply #3613 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »
Early 1963 wasn't good good for my Mum.  My younger older brother was born in March, so my Mum had the last three months of pregnancy, in the South West, with snow and ice everywhere more or less continuously. :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3614 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:04:49 pm »
I was 14 that winter.  I still cycled 3 miles to school. 
These days moms would worry if you did that.  Those days moms would worry if you didn't.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3615 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:11:08 pm »

Probably. He got a flat one day and was invited into a nearby cottage for a hot drink. They still had a swept earth floor and no running water.

Then he licked 't road clean.

He tells me there was still snow on the verges in June.

That's only because he never got anywhere with June.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3616 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:34:19 pm »
My family moved house in early 1963, from one house to another in Harlow.
The diesel in the removal van 'froze' into a jelly.
My 5th birthday party in June 1963 was postponed due to an outbreak of typhoid in the town.

« Reply #3617 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:53:27 am »
Ho hum! Warwick's "dusting" has closed our kids' schools. Still, it's high time we made a back garden snowman. I'm out of mealworms and almost out of sultanas for the birds now.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3618 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:09:01 am »
Well after being on yellow alert all week, they take the alerts away and we got a bit of snow overnight. Probably 1-2cm in Egremont making the untreated roads nice and white. The snow studs didn't seem to have any issues with the stuff.

Now at work 6 miles away where there's no lying snow at all
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3619 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:18:19 am »

It felt like the earth would freeze, with John F Kennedy, and the Beatles.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3620 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:19:46 am »
Our recycling wasn't collected on Friday cos of the snow and ice - fourth Friday in a row it's not been collected according to schedule. Now the council's website is saying they won't be doing those collections till this Friday  - assuming they can get up our street by then! Our recycling boxes are already overflowing. Mind you, so are our bins, which aren't due to be collected till this Friday anyway.

More importantly, school is open.  :thumbsup: But Mrs Cudzo reports that her shock that the playground has not been cleared at all and is one large sheet of ice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3621 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:30:15 am »
Early 1963 wasn't good good for my Mum.  My younger older brother was born in March, so my Mum had the last three months of pregnancy, in the South West, with snow and ice everywhere more or less continuously. :o

My older brother was born in April that year.  In the Dales.  The cottage hospital was up a steep road on the hillside, and I know my dad fretted a lot about whether the car would get up there.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3622 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:32:20 am »
Yesterday evening I listened to A Brief History of Being Cold (Radio 3 alert!) which was rather enjoyable. Contains references to the origins of central heating which make conditions at, say, Pancho Towers, seem positively luxurious.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3623 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:49:58 am »
My family moved house in early 1963, from one house to another in Harlow.
The diesel in the removal van 'froze' into a jelly.

That happened to my late friend Hairy McSteve in Aberdeen in the late 90s, when diseasel was supposed to be beyond that sort of thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3624 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:34:33 am »
Every school in Kirklees is shut so it must be badder than the baddest snow ever.

Here it's snowing moderately heavily, but horizontally. The stuff that does make it to the ground isn't sticking.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.