Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 640013 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3675 on: 22 January, 2013, 10:32:26 pm »
Still thawing here (3°C). I went to choir on the solo machine, with normal tyres. Everything was fine until I got to the school where we practise. The car park was very dodgy indeed, with ice under melting slush.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3676 on: 22 January, 2013, 10:40:25 pm »
Colder today, so no thaw.  My street is still deep in snow - no tarmac visible at all, as it has been for 4 days now.  Since Friday!  And guess what?  It's just started snowing again!
The main roads in Brum are completely clear, if you ignore the pile of black snow that now covers where the double yellows used to be, but turn off down any side street and you're on to 3 - 4 inches of packed snow.

Oh well, that's the last commute.  I'm off back to Waleslandshire in the morning.   Hopefully I'll get snowed in.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3677 on: 22 January, 2013, 10:55:12 pm »
I am delighted with myself I managed to get out in the garden today during that sweet spot, where the snow has just thawed revealing the dog poo I wanted to pick up, just before it snowed again on a clean lawn  :thumbsup:

No shit!

Sherlock!

Oh dear. It's got to the point where others have to finish my sentences for me.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #3678 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:24:13 am »
And as snow chaos engulfs Caerphilly, England and Aberdeenshire (according to what I saw on TV at the pub last night), Glasgow continues to bask in the gulf stream.

I've been living in this flat since September and still get excited every morning as my bedroom window looks out directly onto the forecourt of the local fire station, and the foam they use to wash down the engines looks exactly like snow  ::-). You can see snow on the hills from the upper floors of the library though.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #3679 on: 23 January, 2013, 06:06:46 am »
Indeed, in an unusual twist of the usual pattern of behaviour, my daughter was ringing me from Glasgow, concerned about my safety in the snow down here. 
    However, at the weekend, I was really panicking when I heard the sad news of the walkers who died in the Glencoe avalanche.  My daughter was up there, doing something climby.  I felt a strange mix of relief and guilt when I finally tracked her down.

« Reply #3680 on: 23 January, 2013, 07:09:35 am »
Warwick was sposed to get light amounts today, but it hasn't stopped all day. Not heavy fall, but persistent. I've just cleared the drive, but it's already getting a covering again. Lots of Warwickshire schools are closed tomorrow, but mainly in the north & east of the county over towards the Great White Bear in Rugby. Good!

Yeah, I'm pissed off about this.  The stuff that hit South Wales on Friday hit also hit the West Midlands.  This time it's hitting the South East and also the bloody West Midlands.  It's not stopped here for three days and it's still bloody snowing. 
Snot fair.
Bugger me! Here we go again. Shefali, you lied to me!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3681 on: 23 January, 2013, 07:16:13 am »
Well the MAHOOSIVE dump never arrived.  Bit of an anticlimax really.

It's snowing!
« Reply #3682 on: 23 January, 2013, 08:20:22 am »
It's snowed here again. This will be the fourth time I've cleared the drive!

I wouldn't bother but its fairly steep and once the snow compacts I can't drive up or down it unless its sideways towards the house or wall :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3683 on: 23 January, 2013, 08:33:54 am »
Snowed here again last night. I spent a happy hour clearing the drive and bit of road outside the house.
It feels warm and melty out, so clearing it was really to stop squashed snow turning to ice that hangs around for ages rather than because we couldn't get out (though my son's girlfriend's mum had trouble turning her car around on the drive last night whilst it was snowing - I though we'd have to go and push).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3684 on: 23 January, 2013, 09:15:33 am »
Well the MAHOOSIVE dump never arrived.  Bit of an anticlimax really.

No,  because it came to Brum.  AGAIN!  Bloody Hell.

Glad I'm off out of here this morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3685 on: 23 January, 2013, 10:22:16 am »
We had medium showers this morning. Bristol has had a flurry, but sleet/rain now.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3686 on: 23 January, 2013, 11:08:04 am »
Still a steady thaw here. 3°C, little wind, cloudy. Most of the pavements and footpaths are clear, but there's a bit of slush every so often.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3687 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »
A few flakes coming down in Harlot ATM but it's far from convincing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3688 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:16:42 pm »
Wet snow in big clumpy flakes last night. Melted. Dry snow in little flakes now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

« Reply #3689 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:20:23 pm »
No more snow predicted in north Hampshire now. Predicted 7degC and 10degC on Saturday and Sunday...thank God for that.

Chris S

« Reply #3690 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:25:01 pm »
Predicted 7degC and 10degC on Saturday and Sunday...thank God for that.

Floods instead then!  :-\

« Reply #3691 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »
No more snow predicted in north Hampshire now. Predicted 7degC and 10degC on Saturday and Sunday...thank God for that.
It's snowing here at the moment!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3692 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:36:02 pm »
It's snowing here at the moment!
And here, not surprisngly.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3693 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:36:28 pm »
Light sno in the SG17 postal district (and the wind's changed so it'll be a poxy head wind home :hand:)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #3694 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:13:19 pm »
There was a bit of snow falling last night, when I was commuting home, and a little bit here around lunchtime, but none of it was settling, and most of the snow around here has gone, or is well on it's way to melting.  I'll probably pump my tyres back up to 85psi this evening using one of the track pumps chained up to our bike store, and make my commute home marginally easier!  There was some slushy slippery stuff on the way in, but traction on that isn't actually helped by studs anyway, it's the ice on ice movement that makes it iffy, and there's bugger all I can do to limit that (other than wait for it all to melt).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3695 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »
Very light snowfall in the City.  Not worth the effort, really.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

It's snowing!
« Reply #3696 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »
Wet snow here in Tamworth. Hasn't settled. Temperature above freezing and snow is melting.  Roads are fine, as it has turned to slush in most places.
Spinning, but not cycling...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3697 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »
Oh bugger, it's snotting it down here in NW Laaandon.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3698 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:34:41 pm »
No change here: still 3°C (no, metoffice.gov.uk, it doesn't feel like -1°C, it feels like 3°C), cloudy and it's melting gradually.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3699 on: 23 January, 2013, 03:03:40 pm »
Very light snowfall here, not settling (nor would it make much difference if it was at this rate). It's colder out there than this morning though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!