Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639386 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #3775 on: 11 February, 2013, 11:19:47 am »
The snow was too wet to be called just a "dusting": it snowed heavily for a while but all there was to show for it was about a quarter of an inch of rubbish, which this morning's rain/sleet is clearing.

However, there is a car parked about 30 yards from our house with over 2 inches of snow on its roof. Obviously it settled somewhere near enough for it not to have been disturbed by the driver's journey. My guess would be that altitude was critical and the driver came in from Leigh, which is about 200 feet up and only about 2 miles away, compared to our 50ish feet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3776 on: 11 February, 2013, 11:45:14 am »
Snowing hard here in Romsey

« Reply #3777 on: 11 February, 2013, 12:02:46 pm »
We had around 2" of very wet snow on the ground this morning, near Tring and down to Hemel. Further North and West towards Oxford there was apprently 4" of the stuff.  Slowly thawing now. And one good thing - it's bright out without direct sun, so at least 1/3 of the window blinds are up so I can see out, hooray!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3778 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »
Indoor camp for the Cubs in Delft this weekend.

Sadly not enough dormitory accommodation for our young leaders (including my son).....

216km from Marsh Gibbon

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3779 on: 11 February, 2013, 03:55:11 pm »
Like Clarion, who is only just up the road a bit from me, it's snowing here, but not settling, other than on plants, because the ground is just too warm.

Biggin Hill airport is registering a balmy 0.6°C, and London City 1°C, so I'll be heating up as I go inwards. :)

Norf Lahndon is similar; much frozen precipitation but only settling on grass.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #3780 on: 13 February, 2013, 01:33:58 pm »
Some snow in Glasgow this morning, but been in the library for 3 hours so it could have gone by now. Using the weather as an excuse to wear plastic mountaineering boots for uni.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3781 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:19:06 pm »
A little bit here (South Oxfordshire) but it's fluttering around trying to summon up the courage to settle much like a gaggle of 15 year old boys plucking up the courage to as k a girl to dance at the school disco.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3782 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »
A little bit here (South Oxfordshire) but it's fluttering around trying to summon up the courage to settle much like a gaggle of 15 year old boys plucking up the courage to as k a girl to dance at the school disco.
Bit like that up here at the moment - I think the fact that it's a bit breezy and the snow is blowing about makes it feel worse than it actually is. I'd certainly not say that it felt particularly cold.

Pugsley would turn his proverbial nose up at such half-hearted wintriness :)

« Reply #3783 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:21:29 pm »
wet sleet here in Romsey

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3784 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:35:03 pm »
Bit like that up here at the moment - I think the fact that it's a bit breezy and the snow is blowing about makes it feel worse than it actually is. I'd certainly not say that it felt particularly cold.

Pugsley would turn his proverbial nose up at such half-hearted wintriness :)

Down here Pugsley's definitely pining for the conditions of a couple of weeks ago as is his owner :D

It's snowing!
« Reply #3785 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:47:29 pm »
It's been snowing here since about 10.00am.

2cm forecast, we're now up to 5cm.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3786 on: 13 February, 2013, 02:59:15 pm »
Ominously heavy snow here in Warwick. It's hovering around freezing, so it might settle.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3787 on: 13 February, 2013, 03:30:19 pm »
Snowing on The Solent.
It is simpler than it looks.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3788 on: 13 February, 2013, 03:32:58 pm »
Heavy sno forecast for this evening :hand:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3789 on: 13 February, 2013, 03:34:42 pm »
It's snowing in North Yorkshire, has been since about lunchtime.

Tonight's ride to the pub should be interesting, especially as the snow is not forecast to stop until the early hours.

Hopefully it won't thaw and I'll get another day at home :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3790 on: 13 February, 2013, 04:10:14 pm »
Nothing in Central London yet.  The sky is really white though.  I keep looking to see what visibility is to the BT Tower (I am in a 4th floor office near Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park Corner).  When it snows, the BT Tower disappears.  I can't see the top of the London Eye as I usually can from here.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3791 on: 13 February, 2013, 04:13:47 pm »
A fair bit of sno in west fife.
Mostly raining now though!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3792 on: 13 February, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »
A good 2-3" settled since lunchtime in Leeds. -1 and they are still forcasting rain tonight. If it rains on this with sub-zero temperatures things will be horrendous by tomorrow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3793 on: 13 February, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »
It's slushed here. Stopped for the moment, but more forecast, followed by rain.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #3794 on: 13 February, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »
Just cold & wet here  :'(
Advena ego sum in Terra

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3795 on: 22 February, 2013, 01:58:07 pm »
A few very small flakes of white water floated from the sky about 9am today in Bristol. You couldn't say it's snowed, but there was snow. Bloody cold though - haven't felt warm since Tuesday.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #3796 on: 22 February, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »
No snow here, bur blooming freezing. I haven't ventured out yet but will need to later  :-\
Advena ego sum in Terra

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3797 on: 22 February, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »
The observant may have noticed scant snowflakes in the neighbourhood; not even what my Dad would call 'baby snow'.

LindaG

« Reply #3798 on: 22 February, 2013, 04:47:27 pm »
Supposed to snow a lot here tomorrow, and I was going on a bike ride.  Bsstkkkkvrbb.  Pfffft.  Hm.    :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3799 on: 22 February, 2013, 05:54:49 pm »
There was a small flurry while I was putting the bin out (in just a T-shirt) earlier.  For a brief moment, I experienced what I imagine being a Geordie must be like.