Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639387 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4200 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
The view out of our back door this morning...

Chris S

« Reply #4201 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:45:10 am »
Lordy!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4202 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:48:02 am »
Really coming down here in south Sheffield now. Interesting ride in this morning, had to stop and let some air out of my tyres to get better grip in the slush.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4203 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:38:48 am »
Manchester airport closed. Photo to follow :)
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4204 on: 29 January, 2015, 12:45:29 pm »
Lots of the white wet stuff coming down now in Middle Earth.  Too warm for it to amount to anything other than slippery pavements when it gets colder.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4205 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:11:57 pm »
The Fluttering White Ghastliness started at 1500 o'clock and already everything is covered
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4206 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:34:12 pm »
It has been snowing here (in SA6), but the snow was preceeded by copious amounts of rain, thus it didn't settle.

The Black Mountains are looking a little, white, though (we can see them from the production floor)

PHEW!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4207 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »

I'm watching the USAnian headlines ATM - NYC "only" had 10" of SNO but Long Island had two feet with even more further north.  Also 75+ mph winds and storm surges causing flooding.  And another lot said to be on the way.

Ten inches of SNO in most of BRITAIN south of the Antonine Wall would be SNOmageddon,, and we'd all1 die.

1: Except Teethgrinder, obv.

It needs a SNOpocalypse at all points north of Portsdown Hill before Portsmouth Mos Eisley spaceport ever gets a decent covering, chiz.

Accordingly, it has been merely wet today.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4208 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:39:33 pm »
It's stopped. Away to the NW is a brighter patch of sky. Beyond that... :o  Looks like SG17 is in for a shedfull tonight.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #4209 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:44:19 pm »
Heavy snow falling in Reading - & settling, despite being wet & slushy.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4210 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:49:48 pm »
None in Gloucestershire south.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4211 on: 29 January, 2015, 03:51:45 pm »
The half inch in Edinburgh central has melted in the sun and will no doubt turn to icy ice (baby) overnight.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4212 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »
Just wet here. The snow has tried a few times and failed to get a foothold on the coast. Probably had better luck inland.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4213 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:07:17 pm »
Heavy snow falling in Reading - & settling, despite being wet & slushy.

It fell for all of 5 minutes at Winnersh and has put a thin layer of white on the ground but not on the roads. For a few minutes it was an impressive white out.

I'll see what it's like when I come to head home in a couple of hours.   :-\

simonp

« Reply #4214 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:10:31 pm »
Snowing here.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4215 on: 29 January, 2015, 04:25:41 pm »
Heavy snow here between 1pm and 2pm but gone by 4pm because the sun came out and being +1c. Though local radio are saying much snow and ice in them there hills around us.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4216 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:00:01 pm »
Snowing on and off in N-u-L.

There's about 1" left from the big flurry this afternoon. Tyre pressures lowered for tonight's ride in the woods, I can see lots of snow still left in the trees. It's started to snow again too:thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4217 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:14:49 pm »
Got home to find an inch of wet snow in the garden. That's an inch measured horizontally, it was only a couple of mm deep. All melted now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4218 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »
Sleety rain showers in sunny Brighton.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #4219 on: 29 January, 2015, 05:49:16 pm »
14 miles SW of MK we had wind driven snow shower for about half an hour around 4. Maybe another due around 7. Clear and quite calm now, around 1C.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4220 on: 29 January, 2015, 07:59:05 pm »

I'm watching the USAnian headlines ATM - NYC "only" had 10" of SNO but Long Island had two feet with even more further north.  Also 75+ mph winds and storm surges causing flooding.  And another lot said to be on the way.

Ten inches of SNO in most of BRITAIN south of the Antonine Wall would be SNOmageddon,, and we'd all1 die.

1: Except Teethgrinder, obv.

It needs a SNOpocalypse at all points north of Portsdown Hill before Portsmouth Mos Eisley spaceport ever gets a decent covering, chiz.

Accordingly, it has been merely wet today.

"Merely" wet? I presume you were tucked up in an office at 1500-very-cold-and-very-wet-practically-sleet-o'clock then.

My correspondent in Petersfield tells me there was brief snowfall this evening. Which is about as close to snow in Pompey as you'll get.

« Reply #4221 on: 29 January, 2015, 09:15:33 pm »
I just took a walk in Bracknell, the footways are becoming lethal. Where teh snow didn't completely melt and run off it has now frozen as either black or white ice. Tomorrows commute is going to be interesting.  :-\

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4222 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:02:44 pm »

Dr Larrington tells me that when JFK was all but closed the other day there was one flight not cancelled - the one to Reykjavík.  Complete with a hand-written sign reading "Call THIS a snowstorm?"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4223 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:16:27 pm »
A heavy hail shower in Maidstone around 4.30 pm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4224 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:20:01 pm »

Dr Larrington tells me that when JFK was all but closed the other day there was one flight not cancelled - the one to Reykjavík.  Complete with a hand-written sign reading "Call THIS a snowstorm?"

The photo isn't very exciting. It is from the operation offices. The receptionist said "Oh, it is snowing. I don't think the airport is closed though"I said that there wasn't much chaos amongst the departure desks I passed, but that the Sky TV in the reception areas had a banner saying "Manchester Airport Closed".