Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639579 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4775 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:18:14 am »
I think you have marginally more snow in Sheppey than we do in Southend. I'd concur with those who say that it's several years since we had snow like this. The really wintry bit is the -4.7°C at 7.56am. -3 now. We rarely get weather that cold.

Having said that, -5 and lots more snow are forecast for the next couple of days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4776 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:19:10 am »
Just had a tweet from our son who is on his way to Svarlbard to poke about on a few glaciers. It’s 4 deg C and raining up there.
I replied ,pointing out that it was 1 deg C and snowing here in North Yorkshire. MTFU.

ian

« Reply #4777 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:21:24 am »
It's now 'properly' snowing in the east of the Eastern Angles. Maybe I should have gorn home while I could  :o

then it's probably heading my way. What started out as a clear blue sky is now looking ominous

My office at home is a balmy 8.9C, and that's with the electric radiator under my desk. #thickjumperday

Still 19.6 in my remote command centre. That said, the heating went off 20 minutes ago and I can feel the heat ebbing away. As I'm too mean/sensible to run the heating all day in a mostly empty house, it's the electric radiator for me too. And some thermal undergarments, several sweatshirts, and a cat.

Supposed to go to the theatre tonight. That could be interesting. Or not. I wish it would snow properly, there's nothing worse that having to go through the hysterical SNO-A-GEDDON, DON'T TRAVEL, YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!! for a centimeter or two of snow.

Once-upon-a-time in Canadialand, I got up and found 50 cm of snow had fallen overnight and it was -38 degrees. I went back to bed.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4778 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:37:24 am »
I have to say that this is the strangest bout of WEATHER I've seen. The temperature is lower than usual for a snowy day in the UK, we're getting repeated bouts of falling snow (as opposed to blizzard) but punctuated by clear blue skies.
I can't recall having seen that in the UK before.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4779 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:45:01 am »
About 2cm overnight in Liverpool,  just above freezing outside though.  More flurries at the moment but not sticking.   I dug the walking boots out rather than cycle in.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4780 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:51:20 am »
I note that providers of train services are doing this sort of thing too.  Must be cheaper to call the whole thing off than to try to run a service which might prove to be challenging.

this was mentioned on R4 this am. Network Rail gave the operators £X amount (cant remember the figure) back due to the track being blocked/frozen and the operators compensated £Y. The difference between X and Y was quite large in the operators favour.

Anyway - quite a bit of snow in North Mcr towards rochdale which got less as one drove to Mcr. Got the bike out of the car and cycled to Salford where the roads are just wet and the sun is out. Side roads are dodgy and I'm guessing black ice will be an overnight issue.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4781 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:07:57 am »

Taken from Southend Civic Centre a few minutes ago.

Victoria Avenue on the left, Tunbridge Road straight ahead. That's my doctor's surgery just across the road. St. Mary's Church has totally disappeared.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4782 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:13:06 am »

Taken from Southend Civic Centre a few minutes ago.

Victoria Avenue on the left.  St. Mary's Church has totally disappeared.

With any luck, the shopping centre will soon follow it  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4783 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:14:07 am »
Bright here, thin high cloud and flurries of very fine flakes on the wind.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4784 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:18:53 am »
About 2cm overnight in Liverpool,  just above freezing outside though.  More flurries at the moment but not sticking.   I dug the walking boots out rather than cycle in.

And Ive just read Liverpool airport has been closed...

Meabwhile, in Leafy BucksTM it's bright and sunny. We had <0.5cm last evening, and a few desultory flakes earlier this morning.  Feels cold out tho, and tomorrow it’s forecast to be quite chilly in our area (Aylesbury Vale). At present however it seems there is enough solar energy to thaw the cars.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4785 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:56:53 am »
Snow flurries in North(ish) Oxfordshire, minus 5-4c overnight and a massively grey cloud coming from the North, extra scarf and gloves needed for dog walking methinks
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4786 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:16:44 am »
Where's ours?  In E17 we have none at all.  It hasn't been and gone coz the roads are bone-dry and it's not sitting on top of cars or nuffink.  Money back, please!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4787 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:40:29 am »
Bit more cheerful. Can see the mainland now.

There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #4788 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:49:02 am »
Proper blizzard for half an hour here on the Yorkshire Wolds this morning. Unfortunately it coincided with me being stood in the middle of a field watching the dog hurtle around like a loon with next doors lurchers. The dogs really enjoy snow.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #4789 on: 27 February, 2018, 11:58:00 am »
Quite heavy here, came back from the pool looking like a snowman.

The other Grit Fairy (tutu status unestablished) has been out. We must have the best gritted road in Surrey. Knowing Surrey possibly the only gritted road.

« Reply #4790 on: 27 February, 2018, 12:55:10 pm »
Is it just me or my part of the world (Shropshire), but anyone else think this so called 'Beast from the East', is err, lacking some teeth?

Sure it's cold, but it is February!

« Reply #4791 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:08:07 pm »
Not according to the midday news
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4792 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »
Underwhelming sno shower earlier, now sunny, 3C and much white stuff is vanishing.

« Reply #4793 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:09:40 pm »
After a few very desultory flurries yesterday, it's now properly snowing in Pompey, and it's settling.

ETA - and half an hour later, the sun's out again.

<shrugs>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4794 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:46:22 pm »
Hefty frozen precipitation here now. Temperature >3C but dropping.

Don't think much will settle unless it gets MUCH colder.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4795 on: 27 February, 2018, 03:01:12 pm »
I just looked at the Met Office website and it was predicting something like 10 hours of heavy snow at 80% or greater probability. Given that 3 inches fell in around half an hour this morning, I reckon that is 1987 territory.

The Dez pointed out that I was looking at Thirsk's forecast, and not Southend's!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4796 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:19:52 pm »
My patio is now dry and I'm basking in the sun that shines directly into my SW facing window at 16.15...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4797 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:22:32 pm »
It's gone from blizzard to sunshine about four five times in the last couple of hours.  As the sun's now lower in the sky I suspect this time the meltwater may not completely evaporate.

ETA: Remembered I had a graph...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4798 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:23:13 pm »
Looking out of the (east facing) kitchen window, I notice two things.

1.  The beautiful clear blue sky.

2. The large quantity of fluffy snow coming down.

Eh?  ???

*Wanders to West facing room and looks out and up*

Ah.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4799 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:35:26 pm »
I've just driven from Southampton to East Yorkshire, mostly in bright sunshine under a mainly blue sky.   Drove through 3 10 second blizzards between Doncaster and home.  Suns shining here now.   Not quite snowmaggedon ;D