Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639549 times)

ian

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4875 on: 28 February, 2018, 07:55:11 pm »
I am a little impressed by the thermal retentiveness of the Asbestos Palace, which despite several unheated hours (the CH goes off between 9am and 5pm) and a temperature outside that didn't rise above zero managed to not fall below 16.5 degrees. My office, which benefit from catching the sun stayed toasty enough not to need to leccy radiator.

Mind you, I'm glad the CH is current on and set to Barbados.
Git! It was 11 degrees in the bedroom when I woke up this morning. Which made me think of Pancho...

The contrary is that it hits 30+ in the summer. It's a sixties era house with solid walls, the last 'executive townhouse' we lived in was made out tissue paper and balsa, and that despite apparently living up to some environmental standard (built in 2008) would shake off any heat like water from a wet dog. Despite some shoddy Everest double-glazing that lets in random drafts, this place seems to retain more heat. The walls have cavity wall insulation, something I was never convinced by, but the previous owner had it done. And we did have insulated panels fitted to roof of my remote command centre (a mezzanine level on the side of the house, where the double-height ceiling is the roof).

Very dry though, the RH reading in the kitchen is 27%.

On the downside, the bathroom radiator is still bust. BG came last week but didn't have the part (of course) because he was only a 'service engineer' (not sure what the part is, it's supposed to come on with the hot water, so I assume some magic in the boiler cupboard is failing to happen). Supposed to be coming tomorrow, though I suspect that's in doubt. Not so bad if we remember to leave the door open so heat from the rest of the house gets in.

Anyway, as a once-upon-a-time Canadian, I'm cold-hardened. I remember the ice storms where everything just ended up covered in a thick layer of ice. Then collapsed. Electricity, who needs it. Our heating as it turned out. Brrrr.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4876 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:12:37 pm »
It's -7 here already, and very breezy.  We are forecast to be totally dumped on over the next two days.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4877 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:28:59 pm »
On a positive note,I had to go to Greenwich today so took a walk through the park. It was wonderful to see all the kids whose schools were closed for the day out on toboggans or just having fun in the snow.  And later, when he got home from school, mini-Redlight was out having a massive snowball fight with some of the neighbouring kids on the grass opposite our house* and it was delightful just to hear the sound of them all having such fun.

* having declined my suggestion that we build a snowman in the back garden  :'(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #4878 on: 28 February, 2018, 10:14:27 pm »
-3 on my balcony, and the water is off.  Pipes must be frozen again 😠

A few flurries of snow, but not enough to stick.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4879 on: 28 February, 2018, 11:16:45 pm »
My office didn't get above 13C today with the heating ON.

I rode about a mile in total to/from a mates house to borrow a tool, with a merino baselayer, thick jumper and fleece, with lobster mits and a wooly hat.  Bloody hell, I thought my eyeballs were going to freeze.   With the windchill that was worse than -10 in Hammerfest in November
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4880 on: 28 February, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »
I was very impressed yesterday that Waitrose had a large supply of robust-looking blue plastic toboggans in their foyer. I reckon every Waitrose must have a big box of those stashed somewhere out the back, just waiting for the snow to fall so that they can make a killing.

I didn't buy one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #4881 on: 28 February, 2018, 11:51:04 pm »
In my 58 years, there's only been a handful of occasions when conditions have been such that the blowing snow on the ground was indistinguishable from the falling snow from the sky. Two of those occasions have been in the last couple of days. Mental weather! 

ETA: One of this evening's examples:

20180228_212952 by Chris Smith, on Flickr

« Reply #4882 on: 01 March, 2018, 07:49:09 am »
Well it's fortunately still pretty thin on the ground here today, though making an effort to snow. Very fine stuff atm. Quite windy and bloody cold.  Off the the supermarket in a couple of hours, hopefully will not be stripped of comestibles!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4883 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:26:15 am »
We had alternating blue skies and whiteout and everything in between yesterday. Not much in the way of settled snow, so curious to see what will happen today.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4884 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:02:44 am »
It actually is snowing in Brizzle today. And windy again. There's ice on the inside of our Victorian sash windows – so 20th century! Glad the rest of the house has double glazing mind (though the Victorian bit is much, much warmer).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4885 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:02:50 am »
I managed to get out for a celebratory run yesterday. There was 8" of snow on the Knavesmire in York". Blimey, it is hard work, slogging through that. My speed was a bit down, and I felt like a hobbit, climbing the mountain pass.

Our boiler isn't really coping (very old, overdue for replacement). It can't get the thermostat above 14C. Fortunately the bedrooms are a bit warmer, or I'd be worried for the health of the invalid.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4886 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:07:14 am »
Ooh, I can hear whiney groany noises as if cars are failing to get up the hill. I might have to go and look; I'd assumed it was clear and only the side roads icy.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4887 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:18:40 am »
It's as clear as a clear thing. And it's actually quite warm out there, compared to yesterday.

Chris N

« Reply #4888 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:20:31 am »
Blizzard conditions here in Easton, Cudz. ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4889 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:25:47 am »
We haz SNO here.

I sent Mrs Jaded off in my car with the winter tyres. So it won't have been her struggling up your hill, Cudzo.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4890 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:26:27 am »
It's always warmer this side of the M32.  ;)

Just got the fateful 'school closing at 10' text. Cue rant...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4891 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:34:02 am »
We've been warned of a major dump on its way here.  Mrs B is working from bed home.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4892 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:27:18 am »
In my 58 years, there's only been a handful of occasions when conditions have been such that the blowing snow on the ground was indistinguishable from the falling snow from the sky. Two of those occasions have been in the last couple of days. Mental weather! 

That's a lovely picture - without your introduction I would assume it was a peaceful, still mid-winter night, after everyone has gotten tucked up in bed; no breeze, and no people or animals to disturb the snow. Idyllic  :D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4893 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:33:14 am »
Only an inch in Dorset. More to come later apparently thanks to Emma. I pity those in their cars...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4894 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:49:43 am »
Quite envious.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4895 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:50:48 am »
Just got the fateful 'school closing at 10' text. Cue rant...
And he's home. Some of the more outlying kids must have spent as long getting to school and back as they did at school today. And what (who) did they find when they got back home?

« Reply #4896 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:53:01 am »

That's a lovely picture - without your introduction I would assume it was a peaceful, still mid-winter night, after everyone has gotten tucked up in bed; no breeze, and no people or animals to disturb the snow. Idyllic  :D

Gotten?  GOTTEN!!!!!??????

Chris S

« Reply #4897 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:55:27 am »
Gotten?  GOTTEN!!!!!??????

They talk funny, that end of the country ;).

ian

« Reply #4898 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:03:12 am »
Gotten is standard where I grew up in the East Mids (and of course in the US).

« Reply #4899 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:06:49 am »
My apologies!  I'll have to post on "What I have learned today"!