Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639363 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4925 on: 01 March, 2018, 03:56:15 pm »
Can't abide the snow.
Do love a good hand brake turn though ;D
Garry Broad

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4926 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:05:59 pm »
The falling of SNO has now ceased in the Angles of the East, but according to my weather station the temperature stubbornly remains below the freezing point of water at sea level. And the wind is a bit boisterous. But I'm back home now as the office at the research station was rather a bit chilly this morning.   
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4927 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:06:46 pm »
Sainsbury's online have suspended all deliveries for the next 4 days. This seems fair this time.
They did this in December for several days too, when roads were clear for ages before deliveries resumed.
My cupboards and freezer are well-stocked cos REASONS!

« Reply #4928 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:10:39 pm »
Yes.  I have been playing on the trice today on the few snowy patches and handbrake turns are great fun as are power slides   :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

ian

« Reply #4929 on: 01 March, 2018, 04:32:50 pm »
Currently -1.2 degrees under the house, though the remaining snow seems a bit wet and melty. My ninja gritting skills means we have the most snow-free 25% hill in the entirety of Surrey. Probably.

All a bit unspectacular when you've watched a pylon collapse under the weight of ice and snow.

« Reply #4930 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:13:13 pm »
Met Office web servers are still being metereologically challenged.   ::-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4931 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:20:04 pm »
Currently -1.2 degrees under the house, though the remaining snow seems a bit wet and melty. My ninja gritting skills means we have the most snow-free 25% hill in the entirety of Surrey. Probably.

All a bit unspectacular when you've watched a pylon collapse under the weight of ice and snow.

How are the yeti coping?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4932 on: 01 March, 2018, 05:25:09 pm »
Well after nearly 10 hours of continuous snow we’ve approximately 2cm. Luckily the snow is icy spicules and not the usual wet fluffy flakes! Lovely a dry and powdery, perfect for studded tyres.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4933 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:02:51 pm »

How are the yeti coping?
There are no yeti round ian's way, they've been scared off or eaten by the bears.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4934 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:13:47 pm »
Tilly is checking out the big drift on the way into our village:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4935 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:15:53 pm »
But there are eskimos here. I'm married to one. First thing she did on getting home was turn the heating off. Or perhaps I've just become a Fully Fledged Soft Southern Wuss? Noting that she grew up 0.3 degrees to the south of me!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4936 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:30:00 pm »
Cor a dog with traffic indicator ears....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #4937 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:34:51 pm »

How are the yeti coping?

They seem fine, venturing out from the usual haunt in the pampas forest at the top of the garden. Not sure what happens when they meet the bears lower down. I think the usual ursine diet of Daily Mail readers may be depleted in the current conditions.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4938 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:56:30 pm »
A SNOpocalypse that can't generate enough Silly Soft StuffTM even to cover the lid of a wheelie bin is, frankly, a waste of resources.
So was being a snowflake for electing to not travel to E17 today?

If we've had any fresh SNO in the past twenty-four hours it's barely visible to the naked eye :'(  Still bloody cold at ankle level in the Great Hall, though.

Nice weather lady on the distascope says heavy SNO all out to the west of Londonton overnight though still cold.  More SNO creeping up from the south during the day but her mappe seems to think it won't venture norf of the river.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4939 on: 01 March, 2018, 07:16:49 pm »
I'm in That London, hoping my flights back home to ABZ run tomorrow. The BA app and their webby stuff show the flight as running normally, but we shall see.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4940 on: 01 March, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »
I'm in That London, hoping my flights back home to ABZ run tomorrow. The BA app and their webby stuff show the flight as running normally, but we shall see.

I wouldn’t trust their app! Last night my flight was still showing as being on time despite them having rebooked me on to another flight.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4941 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:58:20 pm »
Approx 6" here in central Edinburgh and more coming down sporadically. I was a bit cross at work yesterday when my line manager sent all the car drivers home but said I had to stay because the buses were still running. When I asked what I was supposed to do if the buses stopped, she told me I'd have a long walk.

I have no objection to walking in the snow, but I don't see why the motorists should be exempt. So I told her I was leaving once I'd finish what I was doing, and I did.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #4942 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:08:46 pm »
I remember several years ago when we had a huge snowfall in London and my train gave up halfway home and left me with a four mile walk. I was quite tipsy after an evening out (ironically in an ice bar). So while everyone at the station panicked about not being able to get home, I put my headphones in, dialled up some awesome tunes, and stomped off through the snow. It was ace. I jumped in every drift and made a big snow angel in the middle of Anerley Hill.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #4943 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:20:08 pm »
Panic buying of bread in Fishguard before the snow came !

Quiet in the GP surgery- I have access rights t’other side of reception counter.
At 520pm no one in the waiting room !

‘They’ve all cancelled!’

Junior partner and lady doctor’s children are playing snowballs in the car park !

No wonder the NHS is in crisis !

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4944 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:42:14 pm »
I was talking to my daughter-out-law just now. She's Finnish, now living in North Essex, near Colchester. It seems that they have had a fair bit more snow than we have, and we have had the most for years - possibly as far back as 1987.

"I have never, ever, known it as bad as it is now," she exclaimed.

"But surely you must have had snowier conditions in Finland...?"

"Yes, but I was talking about the infrastructure. I have never known the infrastructure fail as abjectly! These roads are mostly impassable and there's only been a foot of snow!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4945 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:37:51 am »
Approx 6" here in central Edinburgh and more coming down sporadically. I was a bit cross at work yesterday when my line manager sent all the car drivers home but said I had to stay because the buses were still running. When I asked what I was supposed to do if the buses stopped, she told me I'd have a long walk.

I have no objection to walking in the snow, but I don't see why the motorists should be exempt. So I told her I was leaving once I'd finish what I was doing, and I did.

It was like that on Kiln Lane in Milnrow just up from our house that year.  The stone walls were under several feet of snow.

« Reply #4946 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:20:02 am »
Snow day! No work  :thumbsup:
The weirdest bit is the ice which was formed on the outside of the windows facing east.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4947 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:43:25 am »
I was talking to my daughter-out-law just now. She's Finnish, now living in North Essex, near Colchester. It seems that they have had a fair bit more snow than we have, and we have had the most for years - possibly as far back as 1987.

"I have never, ever, known it as bad as it is now," she exclaimed.

"But surely you must have had snowier conditions in Finland...?"

"Yes, but I was talking about the infrastructure. I have never known the infrastructure fail as abjectly! These roads are mostly impassable and there's only been a foot of snow!"

And in this post you have answered her implied question. 1987 is thirty years ago. It's just not worth investing in the equipment and designing infrastructure to cope with an event that happens for a couple of days once every thirty years or so.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4948 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:56:02 am »
You'd be surprised how much snow clearing equipment that airports hold in stock and well maintained "just in case"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4949 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:08:31 am »
Snow day! No work  :thumbsup:
The weirdest bit is the ice which was formed on the outside of the windows facing east.

Yes.  We've got the iced windows too.  It was very odd when I first looked out of the bedroom window.  It took me several seconds of fuzzy headed waking to work out what it was.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.