Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639575 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4975 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:44:54 am »
"Scones, crumpets or bagels?"

You'll need to let us know which beats which if you want us to play.
It is simpler than it looks.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4976 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:55:56 am »
The question that never seems to be asked when they interview motorists stuck in the snow is "What were you thinking when you set out? Why was your journey so necessary?"

And we have an answer:

I was particularly impressed by the couple mentioned on R4 this morning who had decided that yesterday would be a good day to drive from Crewe to Plymouth  :facepalm:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

« Reply #4977 on: 02 March, 2018, 12:05:14 pm »
The news was just full of people who'd been stuck on a motorway overnight. Evidently lots of people thought yesterday was a good day to take a long drive.

With no provisions and not even a blanket or any means to keep warm.

« Reply #4978 on: 02 March, 2018, 12:32:27 pm »
The question that never seems to be asked when they interview motorists stuck in the snow is "What were you thinking when you set out? Why was your journey so necessary?"

And we have an answer:

We are BBC/ITV/Sky and reporting the weather is so important that we see no irony in repeating those “Dont go out “ warnings then sending a reporter out to the M62/80/25 etc. to tell us that it’s cold out there.

« Reply #4979 on: 02 March, 2018, 12:45:05 pm »
Excellent!

ian

« Reply #4980 on: 02 March, 2018, 12:54:33 pm »
Here's just one of many, chap going from London to Somerset, apparently unaware of the prevailing weather conditions or a the media shouting 'don't travel' at him for several days.

Thomas Hamilton, a 36-year-old sales director, was heading from his home in London to a friend’s farm when he got caught in the queue.

The woman on the radio had to be rescued by the army as she'd not bothered with anything warm and having not contemplated what happens to the car's heating when the engine is off.

ian

« Reply #4981 on: 02 March, 2018, 01:03:17 pm »
Now there's a woman on the radio, after being rescued,  'who doesn't understand why the country grinds to a halt when there's places with worse conditions.'

I say we hand her the bill.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4982 on: 02 March, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
Here's just one of many, chap going from London to Somerset, apparently unaware of the prevailing weather conditions or a the media shouting 'don't travel' at him for several days.

Thomas Hamilton, a 36-year-old sales director, was heading from his home in London to a friend’s farm when he got caught in the queue.

The woman on the radio had to be rescued by the army as she'd not bothered with anything warm and having not contemplated what happens to the car's heating when the engine is off.
Caught in the queue. This is perhaps a part of the thing. You in your vehicle could complete your journey, but when someone ahead of you can't, everyone can't. See also cyclists with spikey tyres amazing queueing/wheel-spinning motorists by sauntering past them up snowy hills.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4983 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:27:29 pm »
This was on my ride today

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4984 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:35:17 pm »
It's really kicked off again here.  We've had as much snow in the last 40 mins as we had yesterday.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4985 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:42:21 pm »

And we have an answer:

I was particularly impressed flabbergasted by the couple mentioned on R4 this morning who had decided that yesterday would be a good day to drive from Crewe to Plymouth  :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4986 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:49:51 pm »
We've had freezing rain this morning, which makes a nice change from snow. It's formed a thin crust of ice on the surface of the snow, which is particularly pleasing to walk through - lovely and crunchy under foot. The dog is enjoying it too.

Disappointingly, the piss-up-in-a-brewery event I was planning to attend this evening has been cancelled - I was looking forward to the ride through the woods. Might go out on the bike anyway. Should stick the spike tyres on the bike if I do - it's properly slippery out there.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #4987 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:07:03 pm »
Something I'd forgotten I knew until reminded - when it's very windy, not only do you get some spectacular drifts, but the snow gets very dirty; there's all manner of detritus on it that normally wouldn't catch your attention - dust, twigs, dead leaves and so on.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4988 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:21:03 pm »
I have just shovelled snow off the pavement from the corner of the street to the pub, taking particular care to throw it into the gutter.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4989 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:32:11 pm »
Nice priorities, EG!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4990 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:47:23 pm »
We’re seeing what is probably the last blast of “proper” snow for this event. Passing north over us for the next hour or two, looks like we’ll end up with a couple of inches worth. Nor nearly as cold, the water we put out for the birds at 10:00 was merely slushy when I changed it just now. Things are likely to get messy tomorrow when it all begins to thaw.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4991 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:00:49 pm »
By weird coincidence, we're seeing what's probably the first blast of proper snow for this event.  It's doubled the existing coverage in about an hour.  Which isn't saying much.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4992 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:29:41 pm »
My favourite sights have been the crowded tractors passing the house.  One of them had so many people packed into the cab that it was impossible to count how many.
I assume it is local farmers from the outlands giving lifts to neighbors in villages with no shops.

Still snowing here btw, and has been all day.  Surprisingly little accumulation though.  It's too cold for the fluffy proper snow flakes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4993 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:36:25 pm »
I've just heard that Mordor Central has run out of electrons and they can't move any trains.  Proper transport chaos, that is.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4994 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:40:48 pm »
I've not moved the car since Monday (the roads around here are not good). Where patches of snow have fallen off it the body is now covered with a layer of ice.
I've walked out each day but unless it thaws I'm not going out again. The pavements are terrible. The areas that folk have "helpfully" cleared in front of their houses are now sheet ice.
And it's snowing again.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #4995 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:46:56 pm »
Our Tesco delivery, due this afternoon, is now coming on Monday.
The only things we may run out of before then are potatoes and beer.  :o

I suspect the local Co-op will be open tomorrow and that is within walking distance, even if we can't get any further.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4996 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:50:58 pm »
If it's like my local Co-Op, you might be eating a birthday card and an Easter egg for Sunday lunch!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4997 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:17:40 pm »

The Mazda dealer cannot give me my car, even if I wanted to risk driving it home.  The steep ramp from their underground car park is impassable.

FWP, surely*...?

*Yes, I know your name is Roger.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #4998 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:19:09 pm »
I've checked our survival rations. We still have at least six cases and a large trunk of beer (aka the 'beer coffin') and 200ish bottles of gin.

We'll survive.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4999 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:34:06 pm »
I could never get my head around glass being a super cooled liquid.

Don't try.  You'll probably slice your ears off.

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime