Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639541 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5050 on: 04 March, 2018, 02:20:11 pm »
A shedload of water about here now we are back. All roads clear but very very heavy showers taking their toll on the drains.
It is simpler than it looks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5051 on: 04 March, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »
Drains. Yes. I remember them.

Round our way the grids are still at the side of the road but are universally silted up, the meltwater collects at the lowest point - broadly the town centre - and then we kind of pray it doesn't freeze again.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5052 on: 04 March, 2018, 06:54:46 pm »
Normal service is resumed, mud and shit.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Chris S

« Reply #5053 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:06:27 pm »
Normal service is resumed, mud and shit.

#brexit

« Reply #5054 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:59:02 pm »
All our snow has melted bar sad piles on the verge left by snow ploughs.
It was bin day yesterday but according to the council they couldn't collect due to the bad weather last week and now they wont collect until our next scheduled collection. So no bin collection for a month due to two days of snow neither of which was our bin day !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5055 on: 06 March, 2018, 07:19:30 pm »
According to my farcebook feed it's snowing again inland of here. Hope it doesn't spread out, I've gotta take my b0rked brother half a days camel ride & back to the horsepital tomorrow.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #5056 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:04:27 pm »
All our snow has melted bar sad piles on the verge left by snow ploughs.
It was bin day yesterday but according to the council they couldn't collect due to the bad weather last week and now they wont collect until our next scheduled collection. So no bin collection for a month due to two days of snow neither of which was our bin day !

Ours too, and we only get a collection every two weeks (rubbish alternates with recycling). Which means much of it will appear as a small mountain of festering black bags in a street near us sometime soon.

Chris S

« Reply #5057 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:24:49 pm »
I didn't put the bin out on Friday as I was sure they wouldn't turn up - but then the buggers proved me wrong.

I'm gonna have to stand in the bin and jump up and down some. Meh - it's mostly beer cans, it'll compress.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5058 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:47:30 pm »
We get food every week. Alternate rubbish and wine bottlesrecycling. Works well.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5059 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:52:11 pm »
I always get a pang of guilt as I trundle the Mixed Recycling bin out every 2 weeks.

I try to cover the pile of wine bottles with the cardboard and paper, but I just know they can see it as it is up-ended into the truck :-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5060 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:25:00 pm »
The seeing isn't the problem.

It's the hearing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5061 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:29:12 am »
Feels like spring today. And yesterday!

It was rubbish and recycling day on Friday, apparently they're going to catch up this week. Maybe even today. Which means they might not take anything because by now it's overflowing and wrongly sorted. Who'd be a bin man? It's a rubbish job.

Do we need a Refuse Collection Thread?!!!!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #5062 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:48:28 am »
The seeing isn't the problem.

It's the hearing.

Right now, it's my alternate Wednesday morning alarm clock as they empty the recycling wheelie bins (normal rubbish is bags, though we bought another wheelie bin for that). Every day I collect various cans and bottles from the path up the hill and dump them in someone's conveniently placed recycling bin. It's full of Stella empties which makes me sad. No one should have to drink Stella.

It would be nice if people would move their uncollected rubbish off the pavement. It's almost all houses and they could easily move it. It's not going to disappear before next Wednesday.

(My granddad was a bin man, which I was told by my mum not to tell anyone, because we're like that posh. Oddly, he used to be miner and then the pit fell on his head or some other calamity that involved them removing a bone from his leg and putting it in his back along with an LP sized metal plate that he could play a tune on. I say oddly, because I'm sure hefting bins in pre-wheelie days wasn't exactly an improvement over being a miner).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5063 on: 07 March, 2018, 08:57:17 am »
We're hoping for a collection tomorrow.  Actually, we've managed quite well.  Amazon boxes cut up and rolled into tight tubes makes great kindling.
We're still having visits from the great unwashed (literally). Pals from the rural area we lived in 5 miles away needing a shower.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5064 on: 07 March, 2018, 11:09:32 am »
Bugger.  On my way back from this morning's dog emptying walk, I noticed that every house, including ours, has had a crate of water bottles left on the doorstep.  The water is still on at the mo, but they must be expecting problems.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

essexian

« Reply #5065 on: 07 March, 2018, 11:15:08 am »
Went out for my first ride for 2 weeks last evening....bl**dy flu..... only to find some of the roads around Ranton and Eccleshall with banks of snow still along the side which does not get any direct sunshine.

Indeed, there were a number of small sections where it was not possible to get a bike and a car along side each other....although one car driver did try of course..... :facepalm:

I am heading up towards Milwich later. Its quite hilly around there so I wonder if all the roads are open.

« Reply #5066 on: 08 March, 2018, 07:49:03 am »
Yes it is. And settled.. >:(
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5067 on: 08 March, 2018, 07:57:43 am »
I am heading up towards Milwich later. Its quite hilly around there so I wonder if all the roads are open.

I got snowed out of Church Leigh last Thursday and had to spend the night in my office in Uttoxeter.

One of my colleagues went on a site visit to Stowe-by-Chartley a few days ago, and it was still inaccessible.

« Reply #5068 on: 08 March, 2018, 08:01:37 am »
Raining at 6am - by 6:50 there is an inch of snow on the ground.

That's going to put a crimp in MrsC's exercise plans (she's supposed to take very short gentle walks each day and can't risk falling).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5069 on: 08 March, 2018, 09:08:29 am »
About 2-3cm in Liverpool overnight, we were not expecting that ! Now turning to slush.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

essexian

« Reply #5070 on: 16 March, 2018, 08:33:35 am »
Getting rather fed up of this winter as while its not snowing currently, tomorrows forecast is for snow just as I was planning to cycle back from Keele.

Sunday looks completely cancelled: I was going to do the Nova Raiders Reliability Ride what with snow forecast for the morning along with 20mph plus winds. The wind chill is also forecast to be down towards -10c  :facepalm:

I hate winter.  >:(

« Reply #5071 on: 16 March, 2018, 09:11:04 am »
You and me both. I love playing in snow, but wet slush, when I have jobs to do, is a right bloody pain.

Seeing as I'm probably not going to Cambridge to check out accommodation, I need to weld a pontoon together again. That's going to be fun in wet sleet. Actually, probably impossible, given the wind forecast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5072 on: 17 March, 2018, 08:03:46 am »
Well we've had a sprinkling this morning, the usual wet stuff this time.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

essexian

« Reply #5073 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:43:52 am »
Well, a few flakes falling at the moment but nothing too bad.... more is expected later along with 40mph winds....its going to be fun standing by the side of a football pitch later....if the match is on!

"They" are expecting it to get much worse overnight: the Nova Raiders reliability ride has been cancelled as has the Stafford Half Marathon both due to take place tomorrow.   

« Reply #5074 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:44:42 am »
Light dusting in central Watford