Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639520 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5250 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:36:05 pm »
Let's be honest - overnight we're unlikely to get the 1.5m dumps (not drifts) that the two Hungarian women, with whom I share an office, experience when they go home at this time of year.

There's no doubt that a 1.5m dump is impressive.

Here, in Somerset, we have light fluffy stuff.
I understand what you are saying.

« Reply #5251 on: 01 February, 2019, 07:49:00 am »
Some 5cm of lovely light powdery snow here in the Chilterns, easy to clear off the car with a brush. Easy driving, but then I do have 4wd and winter tyres. There will be a lot of "working from home" today methinks. Having fun watching people make a hash of parking.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5252 on: 01 February, 2019, 07:57:18 am »
An inch or so here in South Oxfordshire. Just back from seeing a Canadian band who were bemused by our anticipation of the snowfall.

And overnight it became 3-4 inches. The downside is that as I officially work from home I can't claim that I can't get to the office due to the weather :(

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5253 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:22:58 am »
3-4 inches here. A local farmer has been ploughing the residential streets so everything is moving.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5254 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:23:06 am »
The "school closed" text arrived at 6.44, just two minutes after he'd left (to do his paper round, not go to school!). Why does school have to close? It doesn't seem likely that all or even most of the staff can't get in, and the same for the kids, so surely they could keep the buildings open, lessons cancelled, so kids would have somewhere to go and something to do rather than sitting at home all day or wandering the snowy streets?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5255 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:25:32 am »
sweet FA, a few drifting flakes as Jnr headed out to catch the schoolbus [much excitement] but even now it has stopped again.

SWMBO is scathing of my optimism at audaxing tomorrow. I've explained that it's essex, not cornwall
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5256 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:27:15 am »
Why does school have to close?

Generally because the school buses refuse to operate in anything more than a heavy frost, and the majority of kids don't live within walking distance. Though there are always some local - and it used to be that a teacher (when schools were all local authority) had to go to the nearest school if they couldn't get to their own, to care for local kids who did turn up.

Chris S

« Reply #5257 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:32:53 am »

Generally because the school buses refuse to operate in anything more than a heavy frost, and the majority of kids don't live within walking distance. Though there are always some local - and it used to be that a teacher (when schools were all local authority) had to go to the nearest school if they couldn't get to their own, to care for local kids who did turn up.

Which is a shame, because it robs our young'uns of some tremendous experiences. One tale my boys have is of the school bus, one frosty icy morning in rural Norfolk, descending a slight slope (no real hills in Norfolk) at a 45' angle, gracefully sweeping the line of oncoming cars into the opposite hedge. I can picture a coach full of screaming teenagers filming it all on their phones. See? Priceless memories and experiences that we rob from them when we have to keep them home.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5258 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:56:58 am »
We’ve got a light covering which we can see from the tree we are in.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5259 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:58:05 am »

Which is a shame, because it robs our young'uns of some tremendous experiences. One tale my boys have is of the school bus, one frosty icy morning in rural Norfolk, descending a slight slope (no real hills in Norfolk) at a 45' angle, gracefully sweeping the line of oncoming cars into the opposite hedge. I can picture a coach full of screaming teenagers filming it all on their phones. See? Priceless memories and experiences that we rob from them when we have to keep them home.
Surely it can't be a true Norfolk experience unless it ends with the kids swimming out of the broken windows as the bus lies on its side in a fen broad big watery ditch.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5260 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:20:37 am »
sNOw show. Not a single flake in my part of Shropshire, even the frost wasn't that bad this morning.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5261 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:27:18 am »
Just seen some deer, which stood out because they aren’t white.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #5262 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:50:54 am »
Nice coat of snow here on the Downs. Enabled me to write YOU PARK LIKE A CUNT on the cars left across the pavements as I walked home from the station late last night. Happy times.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5263 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:54:28 am »
Bugger all here.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5264 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:02:13 am »
About an inch here in North Baddesley last night

« Reply #5265 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:06:15 am »
After last night's snowfall two neighbours prepare their cars for journeys into work. First driver
clears windscreens and windows on all doors. Second driver does the same, plus clears snow off
headlights and off the roof of car.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5266 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:13:29 am »
Bugger all here.

Oh, you surprise me.  I had a right struggle getting my "normal" tyre equipped car back from York to Pontrobert on Wednesday, and its still snowy outside now, and has not melted one iota. 
Wombat

« Reply #5267 on: 01 February, 2019, 11:39:27 am »
3-5cm overnight in Bracknell and more falling at the moment. Glad I can walk to a client depot to work from there.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #5268 on: 01 February, 2019, 11:40:26 am »
We had a couple of inches here overnight.  I was very temped to go out for a ride last night, but waited until the morning. A lot of slush on gritted roads and paths but no problems.  But, what really annoyed me, was that the school across the field - and, apparently all the schools in town - are closed.  CLOSED, because of TWO INCHES of the white stuff.  Any excuse for a skive, it seems, by today's teachers.  In my day, we walked to school whatever the weather.  I remember walking a couple of miles then home for lunch, back again and home in the afternoon, during the winter of 1963 in North Devon.  Wimps!
Advena ego sum in Terra

diapsaon0

« Reply #5269 on: 01 February, 2019, 11:41:32 am »
After last night's snowfall two neighbours prepare their cars for journeys into work. First driver
clears windscreens and windows on all doors. Second driver does the same, plus clears snow off
headlights and off the roof of car.

During which time, you've cycled to work and made a cup of tea!
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #5270 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:13:44 pm »
Any excuse for a skive, it seems, by today's teachers.

I assume that was meant humourously.

ian

« Reply #5271 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:25:29 pm »
Back in the 80s it only took a rumour of snow to send our teachers fleeing for the car park.

« Reply #5272 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:41:51 pm »
Back in the 60s anyone who stayed off school just because of a foot of snow or because the roads were covered in sheet ice and couldn't produce a parental note explaining their absence got caned.

Mind you kids were viewed as more disposable in those days.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

diapsaon0

« Reply #5273 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »
That's what happened when I was a kid.  And, much later, when i was  a civil servant, there was a Standing Order that, in the event of snow or other similar issues, all staff  living within three miles of their base, unless they were registered disabled, had to get in to work - on foot if necessary.  Failure to do so was a disciplinary offence.  In the snow of 1975, Our CO drove in about 30 miles from a remote village in a vintage, Mk 1 Landrover.  A lot of staff living within the town boundary 'phoned to say they couldn't get in.  He had them all on a Charge and they were docked pay and annual leave.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #5274 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:55:02 pm »
I didn't say it was a good idea.

In the great Norfolk snowstorm of 84 or 85 one of our contractors tried to walk the 5 miles into work because otherwise he wouldn't get paid and nearly died. Found by a passing police patrol unconscious and hypothermic at the side of the road.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams