Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639495 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5275 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:59:30 pm »
Bugger all here.

Oh, you surprise me.  I had a right struggle getting my "normal" tyre equipped car back from York to Pontrobert on Wednesday, and its still snowy outside now, and has not melted one iota.
Must be the Teifi Valley micro climate.  Last year, while my son was battling through snowdrifts in Cardiff,  we still had bugger all.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5276 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:03:20 pm »
Children in state school were rarely driven to school in the 50s and 60s.

We had days off school in the 70s because the roads were blocked and the school heating couldn't cope with the low temperatures.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5277 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:34:03 pm »
Why does school have to close?

Generally because the school buses refuse to operate in anything more than a heavy frost, and the majority of kids don't live within walking distance. Though there are always some local - and it used to be that a teacher (when schools were all local authority) had to go to the nearest school if they couldn't get to their own, to care for local kids who did turn up.

Which is a shame, because it robs our young'uns of some tremendous experiences. One tale my boys have is of the school bus, one frosty icy morning in rural Norfolk, descending a slight slope (no real hills in Norfolk) at a 45' angle, gracefully sweeping the line of oncoming cars into the opposite hedge. I can picture a coach full of screaming teenagers filming it all on their phones. See? Priceless memories and experiences that we rob from them when we have to keep them home.
Surely it can't be a true Norfolk experience unless it ends with the kids swimming out of the broken windows as the bus lies on its side in a fen broad big watery ditch.

Isn't the tradition in hilly areas to turf all the kids out in order to lighten the load so the bus can get up the hill... and then drive off.

« Reply #5278 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:39:10 pm »
Nope, any hint of snow and the buses don't run, at least around here.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5279 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:39:14 pm »
We had days off school in the 70s because the roads were blocked and the school heating couldn't cope with the low temperatures.

When our school heating (which hadn't been properly maintained since the 70s) couldn't cope, we'd shiver until SCIENCE when we could get the bunsen burners out.  Then all the teachers who didn't have access to bunsens would bring fan heaters in from home and overload the mains.  I don't recall the school being closed due to lack of electrons, either, but I imagine IT lessons were unusually productive.

The whole thing being exacerbated by shitty uniform rules, because obviously it's impossible to get an education while wearing a coat.

(Not a flake in Middle Earth, btw.)

« Reply #5280 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:43:22 pm »
No snow in Liverpool today , and I don't recall my schools ever being closed due to bad weather in the 70's - 80's.   It was just an excuse for a slide in the playground.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5281 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:53:24 pm »
....when we could get the bunsen burners out

(or, more rapidly effective, light the gas at the gas taps)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5282 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:08:24 pm »
There's about an inch left here in outer Londonton, where it's 2C

Milk delivery cancelled due to 'unforeseen circumstances'. I haz emergency milks in freezer.

David has a Piano Circle meet in Chalfont St Peter tomorrow.

How are conditions in the Chilterns?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5283 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:20:56 pm »
We are about to go out and try and find a pub in the blizzard.

It's Wet Feb  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #5284 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:57:28 pm »
The bin lorry came yesterday. It did neglect our bin through. I thought it was just us, but I noticed a few more unemptied. I'm not sure why they were definitely emptying bins.

« Reply #5285 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:55:02 pm »
Our Tesco delivery was cancelled ten minutes into its hour-long slot, which I thought was a bit late.
I drove to Morrison's on the way home from work as it is Friday and there was no BEER in the house.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5286 on: 01 February, 2019, 04:14:16 pm »
Or bin lorry didn't come, but that's because they're on strike again (at least it's decent weather for it).  Our bin has now been filled to capacity by ninja students.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5287 on: 01 February, 2019, 04:20:13 pm »
Fairly chaotic here. About 5% of people were in work, and they started going home when it became clear the snow was continuing heavily.  Roads not good - even where salted, they're still frozen and there are lumpy stretches of packed snow and ice which pushed the car around.  Snow is 5" deep where not shovelled or ploughed.

Watched a BMW (notoriously hopeless in snow) take 30 minutes to get out of a parking space outside.  In the end three blokes pushed it.  A shovel and a bucket of salt were also employed.  Goodness knows if it reached home.

It would have been fun on studded bike tyres but I had to go food shopping on the way back, so I took the car (which has winter tyres).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5288 on: 01 February, 2019, 04:56:11 pm »
Settling on cars but not the ground at midnight, settled a bit on the ground by 2 am, half of it melted by 4 am, none left anywhere by 2 pm.  Another non-event.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5289 on: 01 February, 2019, 05:23:37 pm »
I am being sent in to the snow to get the things that glorious Asdals (or is it Asbos?) couldn't deliver.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5290 on: 01 February, 2019, 05:30:23 pm »
By the time we got back from the pub, (which was closed) it had stopped blizzarding and begun melting.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5291 on: 01 February, 2019, 05:45:38 pm »

Milk delivery cancelled due to 'unforeseen circumstances'. I haz emergency milks in freezer.

Fine really. No snow since last night. All routes, road and rail, ok.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Chris S

« Reply #5292 on: 01 February, 2019, 06:52:47 pm »
It's always entertaining living near the North Sea in these kinds of conditions. We've had some heavy snow showers on and off. Currently, it's hailing heavily on top of the lying snow. Fingers crossed for some thundersnow later  :thumbsup:.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5293 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:16:17 pm »
Quite a few hardy Deliverooists out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5294 on: 01 February, 2019, 08:57:04 pm »

Fine really. No snow since last night. All routes, road and rail, ok.

Thanks!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5295 on: 02 February, 2019, 05:57:43 am »
For some reason, BBC weather forecast has just started telling me its Friday. Aparrently it was snowy yesterday
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5296 on: 02 February, 2019, 09:49:16 am »
I was just getting out of the shower and saw the neighbour stuck in the snow with the wheels of his VW Tiguan 4x4 furiously spinning.  He got a shovel and dug himself out (I'd have given him a push if I'd had clothes on).  Shows 4x4 is not all that useful in snow if you have UHP summer tyres on.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5297 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:33:28 am »
I had a particularly unpleasant drive back from Maidstone last night, with heavy snow settling on the M20 (according to our satnav, Bluebell Hill, the steep dual carriageway from central Maidstone to the A/M2, was closed) and the temperature at -1°C. These conditions persisted until we got past Basildon when the temperture rose to 0° and it was raining.

I just looked at the forecast for tonight/tomorrow: -9°C in Saarfend!  :o
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5298 on: 02 February, 2019, 11:17:26 am »
First proper snow of the winter here, so I DNSd the planned DIY 'cos I am a fairweather cyclist.

IMG_2454 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_2456_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #5299 on: 02 February, 2019, 11:31:43 am »
I've seen weather forecasts and decided (for me) it would be foolhardy to go anywhere by car.