Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639680 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5450 on: 16 January, 2021, 08:49:00 am »
Same here, slushy snow and now sleet. So I’ve binned the idea of going for a ride in the snow. Now if it was nice and crisp proper snow...

Chris S

« Reply #5451 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:16:27 am »
We had about 10cm of snow on Thursday, but it was very wet snow - followed by -8c the following night and the snowpack set like concrete.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5452 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:24:11 am »
We had about 10cm of snow on Thursday, but it was very wet snow - followed by -8c the following night and the snowpack set like concrete.

Same. Going for a walk was stressful.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5453 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:34:14 am »
TV's Alina Jenkins:The north wind doth blo
TV's Liam Dutton:And we shall haz SNO!
ML Maire:U LIE! It's been raining on E17 since 3 am! Not a single sodding SNOflake! DIAF!

Here endeth the weather report.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5454 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:30:34 pm »
We have 5cm or so in Suffolk.

« Reply #5455 on: 16 January, 2021, 01:58:51 pm »
An early morning sprinkling of sleety stuff in the Chilterns, long since gone.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5456 on: 16 January, 2021, 02:06:32 pm »

It started snowing in Amsterdam when I was about 2km away from home on my ride. By the time I am inside, it's coming down pretty heavy. Not settling yet tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5457 on: 16 January, 2021, 04:56:44 pm »
We had a flurry before dawn but it turned to rain and it's now 7°C.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5458 on: 16 January, 2021, 06:52:02 pm »
Still snow lying outside here. The temperature hasn't yet risen above 2ºC.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5459 on: 16 January, 2021, 09:26:51 pm »
Mostly turned to rain by about 11am here
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5460 on: 17 January, 2021, 01:06:03 pm »

Snow has now gone from pretty much everywhere.

Few patches of ice remain...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5461 on: 17 January, 2021, 02:53:22 pm »
We had snow yesterday evening, it was all gone by midday.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5462 on: 17 January, 2021, 04:03:55 pm »
Still thick here but temperature's rising. At least it was an hour ago.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Chris S

« Reply #5463 on: 19 January, 2021, 01:20:43 pm »
This may be an even more canonical definition of bad luck than last year's sunniest spring lockdown.

In what must be one of the best snow seasons for Scotland in terms of snow duration and amounts, presumably all the resorts are closed?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5464 on: 19 January, 2021, 03:35:51 pm »
Snow is now melting here, exposing an argosy of dog turds.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5465 on: 19 January, 2021, 03:41:09 pm »
This may be an even more canonical definition of bad luck than last year's sunniest spring lockdown.

In what must be one of the best snow seasons for Scotland in terms of snow duration and amounts, presumably all the resorts are closed?

Yes, they are.

But there's been a noticeable increase in people using touring kit to access local back-country.
The advantage is you get the place pretty much to yourself, you're not in a queue for a lift.

« Reply #5466 on: 20 January, 2021, 11:54:39 pm »
It has been pelting down in south Manchester, 3-4cm on the pavement and cars struggling to get up cambers.
It's the cherry on the icing on the cake for those in Didsbury and Northenden whose houses are being flooded.
I've lived around here since 1990 and I've never seen the Mersey so high.

« Reply #5467 on: 21 January, 2021, 07:34:19 am »
Does make one wonder about the impact of housing developments and infrastructure on the natural environment. Drove past Northenden recently and hardly recognised the place.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5468 on: 21 January, 2021, 09:27:17 am »
I don't know about this morning but you would have struggled to drive through Northenden last night  :(.

« Reply #5469 on: 21 January, 2021, 11:49:23 am »
I never thought areas of Manchester as being at risk of flooding (despite living there between 1965 -1984).

« Reply #5470 on: 21 January, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »
Two reasonably sized rivers flow through the city.
Both are relatively short and they form on the (highish) hills and fells to the North (Irwell) and the East (Tame and Goyt which form the Mersey under the shopping centre in Stockport) so they collect a lot of rain.
The Irwell actually flows through the city centre before it becomes the Ship Canal.
A few Xmases ago the Irwell flooded badly taking out several buildings upstream and causing a real mess in the centre of Manchester.

The Mersey flows South of the city centre and the parts between West Didsbury, through Chorlton towards Stretford are heavily engineered to prevent flooding. There are also several run off areas where gates can be opened to collect floodwater. There were some videos on Twitter showing them being opened. The one I saw didn't look like it would retain much water compared to yesterday's flows.
I think the snow last night was a minor blessing. It retained the water on the ground for a while until it melted. Rain would have run straight off into the rivers.

Funnily enough, the Mersey also flows into the Ship Canal but it emerges further downstream to form the river so beloved of Scousers.

If I wasn't WFH and very busy likely to be missed, I'd ride up to Kersal to have a look at Kersal Wetlands. That's a fairly new (to me at least) flood basin which is great to cycle round. Ordinarily. I'd be wary of buying one of the hundreds (literally) of houses that are being built next to the river there.

I fully expect more demands for "engineering" to stop the rich people's houses from flooding; they'll want the water moved down-river to flood the poor people's houses*.

*Bramhall is one area that's been campaigning for this for several years. The people in Didsbury** aren't likely to be short of a bob or two either so no doubt they'll be jumping on that particular band wagon..
** Boorish Johnson is visiting Didsbury today. It's a shame the snow has gone otherwise he'd be bombarded by the locals.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5471 on: 22 January, 2021, 07:41:08 pm »
A snowball fight has broken out in Silly Oak.

« Reply #5472 on: 23 January, 2021, 08:20:14 am »
Are you winning? :)
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5473 on: 23 January, 2021, 01:54:25 pm »
I think we'll be in for a bit today, I went out for a ride today and it was 1.6C when I started out, 90 minutes later it had dropped to -1.6C according to my Garmin, and the sky is very gray. Glad I got out though , as we've just been COVID quarantined for the next ten days
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5474 on: 23 January, 2021, 06:29:06 pm »
WE had a very small amount of solid stuff about 3pm, but it didn't last long. I had a walk around the park shortly after and it was bloody cold.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.