Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639575 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5575 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:32:02 pm »
Our bubble person who visits on a Sunday left here an hour and a half ago and is still trying to get off the island (Sheppey).
Blimey.
Wild country.
My Whitstable Yacht Club Web Cam shows much snow coverage.
No footprints.

« Reply #5576 on: 07 February, 2021, 07:49:34 pm »
No snow here. Just cold east wind.  :-\
the slower you go the more you see

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5577 on: 07 February, 2021, 08:42:06 pm »
More like tiny hail than snow but it has finally started in NW London.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5578 on: 07 February, 2021, 09:01:16 pm »
It as snowing here gently a few minutes ago when I looked out.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5579 on: 08 February, 2021, 12:24:09 am »
BBC says much SNO overnight.  The Nogweegies say no SNO.  On recent form I'm inclined to believe them Vikings.

They say it will snow out here in the far east. But I'm inclined to the view that the Met Office exaggerates greatly any precipitation they forecast. In recent months, there have been several days in which they have forecast heavy rain for hours on end, and mostly we end up with <5mm. There have, of course, been some much wetter days. But the forecast seems the same whether we have 5mm in 12 hours or 25mm in 12 hours.

Well, there's plenty of snow in my bit of the Far East. But, as you know Peter, we get around 500mm of rain a year in East Angular - maybe a little more where you are. Yet we have at least 2m of rain forecast a year. Mainly so no-one (particularly farmers) can't pretend they weren't warned about rain. It gets a bit tedious when you know that most of the forecast rain isn't going to happen, but it doesn't stop anyone getting on with life, so it doesn't bother me.

« Reply #5580 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:11:50 am »
Snow is lying in Docklands.  A thin layer, but it is there!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5581 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:14:01 am »
A rather lacklustre dusting here.  Jack is not impressed...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5582 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:22:07 am »
Snow dusting around in Londres Sud I can hear it blowing a gale and my weather station tells me it is -2°C. Brrrrrr....

ETA - Ventusky is showing perceived temperature as -9°C  :o

« Reply #5583 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:38:47 am »
We've had sub zero temperatures since before midnight and we wake to a scene of a partial dusting of snow.  It is "corrugated cardboard" thick where it lays on horizontal surfaces such as the garden table.  I feel the need to venture out and see whether the pavements are sheet ice beneath the dusting before I make a decision on my exercise for the day.

More snow is forecast throughout the morning but as observed upthread, the MET Office seems to be cautiously overstating the case a lot these days.

« Reply #5584 on: 08 February, 2021, 07:58:20 am »
Here on the bucks/herts border we had about half an hour driven ice particles around 11:30 last night, this morning revealed to be around 6mm of pure perfect powder snow. Temps of -2C.  The snow just brushed off the car, and absolutely no frost undeneath. The best kind of winter weather.

The most dangerous part was getting down our front path, because the warmth from the house had partially melted the powder, which had then re-frozen.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5585 on: 08 February, 2021, 08:05:00 am »
Just been out to move the car so the builder can get in. I doubt he'll be coming - we have about a foot of snow now, it's still snowing, and it's -3 so it's not going anywhere. The main road is a slushfest, and traffic is creeping along. Duvet day.

« Reply #5586 on: 08 February, 2021, 08:37:38 am »
Up thread there is mention of BBC and Met Office weather. Not sure if people are aware but BBC don't use MET Office anymore.

In my part of the East we had a decent amount eventually and at work heading towards the Suffolk end of Essex we have even more. A few mini drifts in the car park of around 8c deep and a good couple of inches across most the car park

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5587 on: 08 February, 2021, 08:59:46 am »
looking out of my office window where it's still drifting gently down, we have <1", the lawn looks like it has a heavy dredging of icing sugar
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5588 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:20:59 am »
We have a grocery delivery due at 11am which has me on the horns of a dilemma. We have roughly 100mm of sno in the front garden which while not impassable, will make the wheeling of a sack cart of groceries something of a chore. I’m not normally one for clearing g sno as I am of the belief that sno offers better footing than ice. And of course, if I clear the sno and then some damn fool slips and injures themselves, it’s my fault. But the expected delivery creates a situation, especially as Sarah has decreed that the sno must be cleared for mr Sainsbury.
Pah.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5589 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:27:32 am »
Who else has a shameful and irrational hatred of people who get their skis out when it snows in England?  I mean, if I had skis I'd jump at the chance of using them, but I'm sure there's an element of "Look, I can afford to go on skiing holidays, you povvos!"
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5590 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:48:19 am »
Steady snow here in Warwickshire - started about 0800 and continuing . . .   men that were supposed to be digging up the road to install some replacement gas mains dropped off a stack of plastic barriers about half an hour ago and then beat a retreat.

« Reply #5591 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:55:35 am »
Steady snow ❄️ falling and layer of snow in garden now.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5592 on: 08 February, 2021, 09:58:12 am »
Light dusting here "down town", but the four hills around us got nothing, it's normally the other way around
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Chris S

« Reply #5593 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:19:44 am »
Who else has a shameful and irrational hatred of people who get their skis out when it snows in England?  I mean, if I had skis I'd jump at the chance of using them, but I'm sure there's an element of "Look, I can afford to go on skiing holidays, you povvos!"

There was a lot of lockdown-hate on FB (what a surprise) directed at two skiers photographed on the North Pennines at the weekend. Turned out they were the mountain rescue  ::-).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5594 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:24:06 am »

I had a friend in Tonbridge who when it snowed heavily a few years back, dug his skiis out and went out on a long cross country ski trip.

He got his skis when he worked for BAS... who also taught him to cross country ski...

Personally yesterday I broke out my Kahtoona Nano spikes - https://amzn.to/2YQAXEs

They are *FANTASTIC* in these conditions. Makes it so much easier to wander around without worrying about falling over. Esp as the snow is being blown off the roads, leaving behind Sastrugi.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5595 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:28:47 am »
I have some winter boots with twist out studs (normally they nestle stud upwards into the sole) which are excellent for icy conditions. I bought them for a winter business trip to Kazakhstan a few years back, and they don't see much action in London, but this could be the week for them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5596 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:37:44 am »
I've seen people skiing along the street in Poland. Not often, cos the snowploughs are efficient.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5597 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:42:42 am »
And of course, if I clear the sno and then some damn fool slips and injures themselves, it’s my fault.

Only if you do it negligently/with the intention of getting people to slip.

Every house should have a bag of grit with the wellies for times like this.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #5598 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:50:25 am »
In other countries (Canada and the USA) it's the law that you have to clear and de-ice any pavement in front of your property, even if no one has walked anywhere in the neighbourhood since 1956.

I live opposite a grit bin, which is handy (I know, I'm stealing a small bucketful, but considering the number of times I grit the hill outside, I figure I've earned a little for my own driveway and path). A woman came out to help me yesterday, which was nice (admittedly she did want to drive her car down the hill and presumably back up it).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5599 on: 08 February, 2021, 11:24:38 am »
I once had a cow-orker who was staying temporarily in an hotel in central Londonton, having just returned from a couple of years in the Stavanger office and thus being homeless.  When providence dumped a foot of SNO on the place overnight, Dave Mark unstrapped his x-country skis from the top of his motor-car and went up Southampton Row and round Russell Square to the ossif in Tavistock Square.  While this Unit came in from Harrow on his Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle.  IIRC we were the only people in that day.

E17 has slightly more silly soft stuff than it did at 3 ack emma but not enough to keep the buses or the pigeon-feeding arsewipe at home.

Edited for nominative accuracy.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime