Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639398 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #5875 on: 11 December, 2022, 07:55:42 pm »
It had a bit of a snow here this afternoon, and now back to freezing. Enough for school to send a “check your email in the morning” message, but not enough to go and find the sledge.

« Reply #5876 on: 11 December, 2022, 08:04:44 pm »
It had a bit of a snow here this afternoon, and now back to freezing. Enough for school to send a “check your email in the morning” message, but not enough to go and find the sledge.

We got the same type of email but no where neer enough for a snow day at the moment

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5877 on: 11 December, 2022, 08:33:50 pm »
Apparently, Gatwick was closed for a short while around 6pm due to "unexpected snow"??!!

Compare that to Anchorage Airport, featured regularly on the Smithsonian Channel (Ice Airport Alaska), which despite getting between 60 to 135 inches of snow every year has never closed in over 70 years.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5878 on: 11 December, 2022, 08:39:21 pm »
I would imagine if Gatwick got 60 to 135 inches of snow every year without fail, it would never close either...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5879 on: 11 December, 2022, 09:21:10 pm »
Of course Anchorage airport remains open. Its the 4th busiest cargo airport in the world. Because of its position at top of globe, airlines can maximise fuel weight to cargo weight ratios making it economical.  Its designed to deal with heavy snow . Gatwick isn't because its a rarity. Horses for courses.

ian

« Reply #5880 on: 11 December, 2022, 09:46:27 pm »
Snowmageddon in the Surrey jungles. Had to grit the entire hill so anyone could get up it (including us). Doesn’t the council do that? says some passing joker. Then we had to push a stuck car up enough hill to get traction.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5881 on: 11 December, 2022, 09:52:20 pm »
I would imagine if Gatwick got 60 to 135 inches of snow every year without fail, it would never close either...

Possibly true.  But the today's snow was forecast, and a UK international airport should be able to cope with a mere inch or two of snow.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5882 on: 11 December, 2022, 10:01:15 pm »
The last time I tried pushing a car up a slidey hill I ended up flat on my face. Fortunately the car didn't slide back towards me. Don't think I will do that again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5883 on: 11 December, 2022, 10:15:53 pm »
Well the gritters are out. The ploughs have been positioned.
Who are these teams that must sit around drinking tea and smoking for ten months of the year?
It's the bin men, that's who.  So please can we moderate the ranting at the council if the bins aren't collected tomorrow?  They'll go later in the week.  It's not a big deal.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5884 on: 11 December, 2022, 11:44:42 pm »

SNO… by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

View out of Larrington Towers' bathroom window just now, with bonus fox.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5885 on: 12 December, 2022, 12:22:03 am »
About 2 inches settled at 00.20 here.

Methinks Mr Sainsbury's comestibles delivery scheduled for tomorrow won't happen.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5886 on: 12 December, 2022, 12:49:43 am »
Certainly not looking forward to using the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle for shopping tomorrow.  Iffen it had proper knobbly tyres it might be OK, but it hasn’t and I don’t think there’s a pair lurking under the stairs either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5887 on: 12 December, 2022, 01:05:43 am »
I fitted clicky winter tyres to not one but two of my bicycles yesterday.  This ought to ensure a mild winter, but the weather gods obviously aren't paying sufficient attention.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5888 on: 12 December, 2022, 01:45:59 am »
The temperature on the patio has been creeping from 0.2 to 0.5C over the past 4 hours.

Suspect settled snow won't last here in Lunnon...

« Reply #5889 on: 12 December, 2022, 05:37:38 am »
Plummeted from -2 to -4 here. Later it’s forecast to soar to -3, which will be nice. Snow is to be on Sunday, but it won’t hang around because the heat wave predicted for Monday will see sweltering temperatures of 12C.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5890 on: 12 December, 2022, 06:10:02 am »
The snow finally arrived in North Herts, about 3" deep. A ride down some quiet bridleways on my mountain bike today. Wife concerned that ill fall off and never be found. The experience is worth it , so rare an event these days. This really does take me back to my childhood in the 60s.

« Reply #5891 on: 12 December, 2022, 06:41:56 am »
Here in the Vale of Aylesbury we got about  2" around 11pm, but that’s it.

ETA It's not often snow comes now, so a novel experience of driving on slushy roads in the dark. Not fun.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5892 on: 12 December, 2022, 07:28:13 am »

Possibly true.  But the today's snow was forecast, and a UK international airport should be able to cope with a mere inch or two of snow.

Same with Hammerfest Airport, chuck grit on the snow, drive up and down with a big heater on the back of a truck, embed the grit in the snow and hey presto. Oslo, on the other hand, same day, utter chaos, and I ended up sleeping in the baggage hall.

Here, a mere dusting, maybe half an inch, but still cold
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5893 on: 12 December, 2022, 07:39:40 am »
A dusting here, but probably enough to block a few roads once the muppets get out in their cars.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5894 on: 12 December, 2022, 07:51:33 am »
A couple of inches here in Hertfordshire

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #5895 on: 12 December, 2022, 08:35:37 am »
About ¼" S of Northampton - only parts of the concrete path covered. Temperature up to 0.5ºC, so the most uncold for several mornings now.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #5896 on: 12 December, 2022, 09:11:01 am »
I fitted clicky winter tyres to not one but two of my bicycles yesterday.  This ought to ensure a mild winter, but the weather gods obviously aren't paying sufficient attention.
I spaffed £400 on ice tyred spare wheels for my commuter and am gutted that this preventative weather protection hasn't done its job. We're unlikely to get above freezing till next week.

« Reply #5897 on: 12 December, 2022, 09:26:43 am »
Just to buck the trend, not only is it not snowy up in Hebrides (although it did sleet it down when I walked the dog yesterday), it is warmer than most of the UK.

The hilltops are covered in snow of course, and look very pretty.

[edit] Just checked the traffic cams. Loads of snow on the west side. It is just the east that is clear.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5898 on: 12 December, 2022, 09:39:52 am »
Just to buck the trend, not only is it not snowy up in Hebrides (although it did sleet it down when I walked the dog yesterday), it is warmer than most of the UK.

The hilltops are covered in snow of course, and look very pretty.

[edit] Just checked the traffic cams. Loads of snow on the west side. It is just the east that is clear.

IIRC the Hebrides have some freak weather patterns as a result of the gulf stream???   On the couple of trips I've made there we've had 4 seasons in an hour

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5899 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:08:58 am »
The West Coast (of the mainland) doesn't get a lot of snow, and it doesn't last a lot.
It is simpler than it looks.