Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639545 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #6075 on: 28 November, 2023, 06:45:00 pm »
First snow of the season in Furryboottoon this afternoon ❄️❄️

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6076 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:52:37 am »
Here too this morning. Couple of cm, probably won't last.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6077 on: 29 November, 2023, 12:40:57 pm »

We got snow. But it didn't settle and was soon replaced by rain.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6078 on: 29 November, 2023, 12:47:09 pm »
Here too this morning. Couple of cm, probably won't last.

Rats. Still falling, big fluffy flakes that usually mean it's about to turn into rain. But it's been like that for the last 3 hours now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6079 on: 29 November, 2023, 05:55:13 pm »
Awaiting the London snow maggeddon.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6080 on: 29 November, 2023, 06:02:57 pm »
Was a bit surprised to find sno outside this morning. The velomobile commute was fine except for a couple of minor drive wheel traction issues.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ian

« Reply #6081 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:12:14 pm »
No snow forecast, but much cold. I did dedicate 30 minutes to my civic duty and gritted the entire hill. Not entirely altruistic, the lady of the house requires use of the car tomorrow, and she has nice hair again.

« Reply #6082 on: 29 November, 2023, 09:49:07 pm »
Yep - enough to make me wonder if I will be able to get the cat to the vet in the morning.
It's just for a check up and blood tests, so if we cant go it's not desperate.

« Reply #6083 on: 30 November, 2023, 05:02:51 am »
Move Faster and Bake Things

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6084 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:56:05 am »
No snow here - we've got freezing fog and very icy roads.  We've had one car crash in the village already this morning (dickhead driver jumping a red light and skidding on an ice patch).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6085 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:16:02 pm »
Y Wyddfa is living up to its English name today.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6086 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:46:42 am »
Very light dusting of snow over the ice on the car this morning, very tricksy on our single track ungritted lane even with the 4x4 grip of the Xtrail, all four wheels can happily go sideways at once in those conditions.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #6087 on: 01 December, 2023, 10:38:37 am »
Snowing in north Kent.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #6088 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:25:55 am »
Fortunately in South Essex... Snow going, sun is out, according to SWMBO.
I am in full on December mode, bah-humbugging every couple of minutes.
Refusing to look out the window, heating on and turned up, sore throat and as miserable as I can muster.
Not a fan of snow.
Not a fan of Christmas.
Roll on January
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #6089 on: 01 December, 2023, 12:04:42 pm »
The only advantage of January is Christmas is over. It tends to be snowier and colder than December, so bugger that. Roll on May.

« Reply #6090 on: 01 December, 2023, 06:01:29 pm »
Training starts 3rd week in January. I don't ride indoors. Praying my Achilles injury is fixed by then. 
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6091 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:25:28 pm »
First winter hike of the season, Morven in Aberdeenshire.

The snow level was right around the car park, and it got progressively deeper the higher we climbed. The paths were all in-filled, and not very obvious. It helped to know where you were going. There was not a breath of wind, and the low cloud on the Howe of Cromar burned off by the time we were half way up, allowing for panoramic views in every direction.

Morven 1-12-23 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6092 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:00:23 pm »
I am informed that it snew in Southend this morning, but we were in Nottinghamshire so didn't witness it. I was told around 9am that it was snowing, but the weather station didn't record any precipitation until after 11, so I would imagine that by that time it was thawing and had turned to rain.

We are just on the edge of the yellow "severe weather warning" area for the east coast, but the forecast for our location is for no snow, so I would be surprised if we got any.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6093 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:37:20 pm »
All of half a dozen tiny flakes seen while heading north on the A12 at Witham this morning.  The Daily Fail will no doubt say Essex was blanketed in snow.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6094 on: 02 December, 2023, 12:48:03 pm »
Good 7cm on one of my door steps, not progressed to a state of being able to stray further yet as it's scuppered my plans.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #6095 on: 03 December, 2023, 06:36:53 am »
Snowed lightly all night by the look of it. Pavements are going to be slippery. The 10 day trend is for warmer weather I’m glad to see
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #6096 on: 03 December, 2023, 08:51:04 am »
Fairly heavy fall between 2-3am (according to the camera) giving what looks like a few cm coverage that's now starting to thaw.
(just west of Leicester)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #6097 on: 03 December, 2023, 09:28:00 am »
I'm just north of Leicester and was resigned to a drab, cold Sunday and a session on the turbo.
When I pulled back the curtains I found an inch of snow to go and play in on the MTB :thumbsup:
Further inspection showed it was soggy stuff and probably not going to last long with rising temperatures and rain forecast.  Its back to the turbo  :(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6098 on: 03 December, 2023, 01:52:42 pm »
We had maybe a centimetre of light snow at about 1-2am last night in Silly Oak, Middle Earth (Birmingham). The students (who probably haven't ever seen proper sno) were scraping it off cars to have a snowball fight, which I couldn't begrudge them.

My mum's sent photos of my neiphews playing in the snow at her house in Disley (Cheshire) where they're near the top of a great big hill so often get several cm of snow a year and have a large lawn for snowball fights and such.

« Reply #6099 on: 03 December, 2023, 05:02:09 pm »
Not a single bit of snow here, but really impressive frost.

Crystals growing on everything (including our roof, stupid cat had real problems coming back down).

I wanted to clean the gutters today; no chance, they are full of solid ice to the brim.

The sea lochs have a skim of ice, in some places it has formed little jagged iceburgs. I suspect this is fresh water from streams freezing on top of the salt water.
<i>Marmite slave</i>