Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639431 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1650 on: 28 November, 2010, 07:20:13 pm »
The busses were intermittent but sort of running in Dundee. We have had about 8 inches today. The busses were not running when I left the hospital to catch a bus so I walked the 2 miles home. And was passed by two busses en route.

My son (wee Alan) is currently stuch in Lochearnhead. He is on a weekend camp with the Boys' Brigade and now won't get home till Monday. Not that he will miss any lessons as all the Dundee schools are off tomorrow.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1651 on: 28 November, 2010, 07:23:37 pm »
First snow of the year:

Here's the same view yesterday:

And some photos from when we went waxwing hunting yesterday (but didn't see any, boo)

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1652 on: 28 November, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »
It snowed quite a lot last night, but most of it melted today so I don't think we've got a net gain in snow depth since these photos were taken.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #1653 on: 28 November, 2010, 07:30:09 pm »
Couldn't believe the amount of salt laid down outside Waitrose in Southsea - they must have been expecting another SNOpocalypse!  :o

Noticed something similar in our village. The roads and pavements were so thick with salt that I thought it'd been snowing. Probably because this is the first year anyone has round here has actually bothered stockpiling grit and as they've got it they want to try it.

Not a flake here yet this winter.

« Reply #1654 on: 28 November, 2010, 07:52:42 pm »
Not a flake in Liverpool yet  :(    I've just got home after riding back from my parents. Brrrrr..... the thermometer thingy says it's below freezing on my balcony, 4 floors up.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1655 on: 28 November, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »
Just a dusting in Warwick, but -8.4C in our back garden last night!

Good job I dug the winter duvet out earlier in the evening.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1656 on: 28 November, 2010, 08:33:29 pm »
We haz NO SNO

David Martin

« Reply #1657 on: 28 November, 2010, 11:24:16 pm »
Couldn't believe the amount of salt laid down outside Waitrose in Southsea - they must have been expecting another SNOpocalypse!  :o

Noticed something similar in our village. The roads and pavements were so thick with salt that I thought it'd been snowing. Probably because this is the first year anyone has round here has actually bothered stockpiling grit and as they've got it they want to try it.

Not a flake here yet this winter.

Salt is only any good for heavy frosts or very slight snowfalls. More than a half inch and it will be diluted and lost when the road is ploughed.

Still falling here - about 9" so far.

« Reply #1658 on: 29 November, 2010, 12:33:46 am »
Still some snow in the hills round us, but the roads are pretty clear.

My kids went up there while I was at work yesterday looking for snow deep enough to have a snow ball fight or sledge in.
I should probably post this in the how many layers thread ... Natalie went up there in shorts and tights LMAO

simonp

« Reply #1659 on: 29 November, 2010, 12:46:44 am »
s' apparently very hard to predict how far inland the snow will come when it's convective showers. So we might be ok or we might not.

I think I'll commute on snow tyres tomorrow.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1660 on: 29 November, 2010, 12:50:20 am »
So.  As Monday will be a non-working day for me, I'll get up late, see how you lot got on, and make my decisions early Tuesday morning.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1661 on: 29 November, 2010, 12:58:32 am »
Last year when we had snow, I cycled home on it with no problems, since it was fresh snow.  The next day the cars had had a chance to flatten the snow into a solid icy layer that was impossible to cycle on.

So, I reckon I'll be able to cycle home in the snow one day, and switch over to the studded tyres before cycling again.
Actually, it is rocket science.

simonp

« Reply #1662 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:01:20 am »
Last year when we had snow, I cycled home on it with no problems, since it was fresh snow.  The next day the cars had had a chance to flatten the snow into a solid icy layer that was impossible to cycle on.

So, I reckon I'll be able to cycle home in the snow one day, and switch over to the studded tyres before cycling again.

I got studded tyres after that didn't work.  2003?  They'd already flattened it to ice by the time I set off.

« Reply #1663 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:49:18 am »
It started snowing again at 9pm and still hasn't stopped yet. Judging by the table in the garden and the fact the recycling bins have now totally disappeared there's at least 1ft, likely more. The trees look pretty though.

« Reply #1664 on: 29 November, 2010, 04:23:04 am »
Still hasn't stopped. Not sure how bad it is in town (Edinburgh) but on the outskirts here in Bilston/Loanhead it's getting pretty serious. I don't think I've ever seen snow so deep. If it wasn't so dark I'd take some pics. It's fairly impressive.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1665 on: 29 November, 2010, 07:06:46 am »
Still hasn't stopped. Not sure how bad it is in town (Edinburgh) but on the outskirts here in Bilston/Loanhead it's getting pretty serious. I don't think I've ever seen snow so deep. If it wasn't so dark I'd take some pics. It's fairly impressive.

This is my 16th winter in Embra and I've never seen anything like it.  Well over a foot here in Colinton.
Aero but not dynamic

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1666 on: 29 November, 2010, 07:48:20 am »
Still bugger all(ish) here in Cambridge.  :(

There was a very short flurry overnight/early this morning - but the skies are now clearing...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1667 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:02:57 am »
We've had more snow overnight in County Durham - I'm meant to be driving down to York today and then Lincoln and back on Wednesday but i'm not sure I want to risk it. 

« Reply #1668 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:18:30 am »
Aye, it's 'orrible in Darlo.  It's just started snowing again.  Luckily I've several (mainly) traffic-free routes to work.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1669 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:24:27 am »
Snowing in Sheffield. Comes in dribs and drabs. There is a flurry for a bit, then nothing, then some more. The sky is very grey though, looks like there is a lot more to come.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #1670 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:12:24 am »
For the first time ever I'm snowed in today and can't get to work. Tried at 7am this morning but couldn't even get the car out of the drive. About 8" of fresh snow on a base of compacted icy snow = no traction at all. Looks lovely now! West Lothian seems to be one of the worst hit places in Scotland - all schools closed etc.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #1671 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:17:38 am »
We've had no snow in Lancashire, but it was -7 at midnight. I'm supposed to be planting trees in Blackpool tomorrow.
Spare a thought for everyone trying to organise schoolgroups to plant in ground like iron, it's National Tree Week all week.

Update, it's just started snowing a bit here. Yad Moss had its first day skiing of the season yesterday.
Snow Report

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1672 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:25:07 am »
15 inches???!!!

aye Mrs P watch the Bridge of Don tomorrow! ;)

as measured on the bike shed this morning

More like 1.5" in the Bridge of Don this morning.....

David Martin

« Reply #1673 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:37:58 am »
Another inch or so overnight. I think the council have looked at the weather forecast and decided that everyone should stay at home. I am at work but the Uni is officially closed.

Will fit the winter tyres when I get home.

..d

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1674 on: 29 November, 2010, 09:41:50 am »
Yay! :thumbsup:

It snowed for about ½ an hour as I was coming into work.

Boo!  :'(

It's stopped snowing and the sun is out melting the snow.

I want proper snow so that I can have some real fun on Regina, who has been kitted out with some knobblies...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor