Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639534 times)

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1675 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:12:39 am »
Still hasn't stopped. Not sure how bad it is in town (Edinburgh) but on the outskirts here in Bilston/Loanhead it's getting pretty serious. I don't think I've ever seen snow so deep. If it wasn't so dark I'd take some pics. It's fairly impressive.

This is my 16th winter in Embra and I've never seen anything like it.  Well over a foot here in Colinton.
Schools are off and our office move is taking longer than planned so I've been instructed to work from home anyway.

Just started snowing again.

LindaG

« Reply #1676 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:20:03 am »
Aye, it's 'orrible in Darlo.  It's just started snowing again.  Luckily I've several (mainly) traffic-free routes to work.

Lucky you.  I just got home from my night shift.  I've had more abuse this morning than in my whole life.  I've no idea why, no-one was going anywhere fast today.  I walked some of it, it was just too scary. 

Maybe they thought cycling looked too easy and they should make it a bit harder for me?

>:(

I actually think one person thought he was being helpful, by telling me I was going to be run over.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1677 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:20:27 am »
We had a flurry around 8 a.m. but the sun's out again now.

The Met Office can't make their minds up: there's an orange severe weather warning for all the British east-coast counties, which warns us of 2 - 5cm, but the detailed forecast for today in Southend forecasts clear skies until this evening.

Doesn't make much sense to me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1678 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:35:27 am »
Still no snow here in Herts.

Norwegian forecast for Southend shows a wet few days coming up TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL but sleet and snow for Welwyn TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL.

The laurels at the end of the garden have stopped waving around - looks like a riding window is opening up.  May only manage under 10 miles but ...

« Reply #1679 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:45:36 am »
We had a flurry around 8 a.m. but the sun's out again now.

The Met Office can't make their minds up: there's an orange severe weather warning for all the British east-coast counties, which warns us of 2 - 5cm, but the detailed forecast for today in Southend forecasts clear skies until this evening.

Doesn't make much sense to me.
It's highly variable. Leeds has about 2" of snow, York has 6". My kids tell me Malton had about a foot, but not any good for making snowballs with.

And, Linda, that's really crap. I've seen people driving like that, they are stark raving bonkers. Ice, less space on the road, but they still push through just as if they have a divine right.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #1680 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:25:06 am »
Just had another dumping of snow here in Norfolk. Looks lovely  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1681 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:27:03 am »
Vale of the White Horse (Oxon) still snow free.  May have some tomorrow - early hours apparently.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

simonp

« Reply #1682 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:32:44 am »
Ordanance Survey van pulled out in front of me as I came along the hard-packed snow on my snow tyres at 12mph.

If you're not capable of doing more than 5mph why are you pulling out in front of a vehicle capable of 2.5x the speed?

Mostly the roads were clear, though.

« Reply #1683 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:37:53 am »
It seems to be snowing due to relief and convection effects inland with more generalised falls on the coast. In York on Friday night it snowed more than in the surrounding areas. The warm air rising from the city caused the snowfall. There is very little air movement so there is not as much snow as you might expect over the hills. I'd be expecting to see the most snow at the head of East coast valleys where the progressive narrowing causes cloud to form. In flat areas inland there's nothing to make it snow. It will change if the wind gets up.

LindaG

« Reply #1684 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:41:27 am »
The same picture but 20 hours later after a further night of snowfall. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1685 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:51:13 am »
Tiniest dusting on the windscreen this morning but nothing since.  Want SNO >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1686 on: 29 November, 2010, 12:42:25 pm »
Good heavy stuff with big flakes stinging my eyes on the way in this morning (must dig out the ski goggles).  Unfortunately it only lasted for 15 minutes, and is now slowly melting off everywhere.

Dear Santa,
    More SNOW please!
ta,
Tom

« Reply #1687 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:10:34 pm »
Snowy ere.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #1688 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:13:04 pm »
and here, pah, thought I'd got away from it.
Road was filled with motorised boxes gettiing in my way this morning.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1689 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:14:08 pm »
We haven't had any snow to speak of, and I'm already fed up with the bloody stuff! ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1690 on: 29 November, 2010, 01:30:21 pm »
Same here, not conducive to the winter miles (I hate main road slogging).
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #1691 on: 29 November, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »
It's been snowing here on and off since Saturday.

I decided against cycling to work due to the fact most lorries and buses on the roads seemed to be spending a lot of their time sliding sideways. So I walked into town past bus drivers trying to dig their buses out from bus stops with a shovel and had a lovely waltzer ride in a bus to work. The snow I had to shovel off our path at work was about 24 inches deep in places which provided a more thorough workout than a bike ride would have.

On Saturday I was waiting to cross the road at a pelican crossing and a bus was about 30 metres away doing about 15mph maximum. He was completely unable to stop for the red light and slid right through the crossing. Luckily I resisted the temptation to step off the pavement when the green man came on.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #1692 on: 29 November, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »
Aye, it's 'orrible in Darlo.  It's just started snowing again.  Luckily I've several (mainly) traffic-free routes to work.

Lucky you.  I just got home from my night shift.  I've had more abuse this morning than in my whole life.  I've no idea why, no-one was going anywhere fast today.  I walked some of it, it was just too scary. 

Maybe they thought cycling looked too easy and they should make it a bit harder for me?

I actually think one person thought he was being helpful, by telling me I was going to be run over.

Pack of mongrels.

It wasn;t quite the perfect winter wonderland in Darlo - at one point I was riding behind a car going about 5 mph, and in front of another car, the driver of which was seriously over-revving his engine, and I wondered if I might be the meat in the sandwich.  He eventually overtook us both, only for me to go past two minutes later in the queue for the lights ::-)

South Park was stunning, though.  Being the first to cycle in 7 or 8 inches of new snow certainly warmed me up.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1693 on: 29 November, 2010, 05:12:38 pm »
Still snowing.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1694 on: 29 November, 2010, 05:36:00 pm »
According to the NHS Weather Report, we're supposed to be getting up to a couple of inches of snow overnight, with more to follow tomorrow.  :thumbsup:

The west of the region (the west of Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire) should miss most of it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #1695 on: 29 November, 2010, 05:39:39 pm »
Got to go to Datchett tomorrow.  Luckily I'd already planned to go by train, not car.  Having just been out (in the car :() I'm abandoning plans to ride to/from the station.  I'll do it at the Slough end, on the Brommie, but there are entertaining amounts of random ice on the lanes here.  It'd have meant leaving home v early, and it was about -10 this morning too.

simonp

« Reply #1696 on: 29 November, 2010, 05:46:55 pm »
Are marathon winters not available in 16"? :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1697 on: 29 November, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »
Are marathon winters not available in 16"? :)

No, they aren't.  :(

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1698 on: 29 November, 2010, 05:52:35 pm »
This was the sight that greeted us this morning

And the front, after I'd cleared a path (again) !

This afternoon, I walked down to the village.  Two branches from this tree had been brought down this morning, the first fell harmlessly across the road but the second, mid morning, smashed a parked car.

Further down the road...

And in the village proper, a work party of (not very happy) squaddies from - I think - 3 Rifles had been deployed for a spot of community 'volunteering'

An old boy in the doctor's surgery was saying it was the worst snow they'd had in the village since 1947.

As I got home, it started snowing again.
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1699 on: 29 November, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »
I walked the 3 miles to work today, in 8" of snow. I saw this

and I was overtaken by a man on skis.

Coming home tonight I saw a unicyclist.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.