Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639464 times)

simonp

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1850 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:49:25 pm »
I'm also a soft southern jesse, don't forget  :D.
I used to be a hardy Northerner. Then I got older.

I'm much more hardy than I used to be.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1851 on: 01 December, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »
I'm also a soft southern jesse, don't forget  :D.
I used to be a hardy Northerner. Then I got older.

I'm much more hardy than I used to be.

Thomas, Keir or Brian?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1852 on: 01 December, 2010, 01:10:29 pm »
All the time I lived in W London we had virtually no snow when N S and E did;

a Cow Orker explained that this was due to the warm air in the Thames basin caused by the London Clays rather than the Chalk surrounding it; does this sound like bolleaux?
Yes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Martin

« Reply #1853 on: 01 December, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »

a Cow Orker explained that this was due to the warm air in the Thames basin caused by the London Clays rather than the Chalk surrounding it; does this sound like bolleaux?
Yes.

OK; so how come there is 0 in W6 and 15cm 5 miles S?

simonp

« Reply #1854 on: 01 December, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »

Yes.

The rain radar shows a massive gap encompassing suffolk and norfolk where there is no snow falling.  Same yesterday.  It's a far larger effect than london.

« Reply #1855 on: 01 December, 2010, 01:21:21 pm »
Google Maps with Traffic turned on is an interesting way to see where the snow is (around London):

Yesterday evening it was even clearer, with most of the southern and eastern parts of the M25 damned near stationary.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1856 on: 01 December, 2010, 01:22:33 pm »
Happy-happy, joy-joy!  It's finally snowing here, and not melting as it hits the ground.  :thumbsup:

My family may have a different opinion.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1858 on: 01 December, 2010, 01:41:01 pm »
Google Maps with Traffic turned on is an interesting way to see where the snow is (around London):

Yesterday evening it was even clearer, with most of the southern and eastern parts of the M25 damned near stationary.

So better than normal then?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1859 on: 01 December, 2010, 01:49:52 pm »
Actually, normal for 1345 on a Wednesday is:

So surprisingly it is worse than normal!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1860 on: 01 December, 2010, 02:38:26 pm »

Yes.

Probably because the high ground on the Surrey Downs south of London coupled with the prevailing wind does something terribly meteorological. But that would have been explained in Geography, which I didn't do.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1861 on: 01 December, 2010, 02:41:47 pm »
Wouldn't the heat from London heat up the air and cause meteorological things ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1862 on: 01 December, 2010, 02:42:56 pm »
Yep. Something like that. Snow coming from the east has to get over the great heat source of the urban sprawl, & snow from any other direction has to get over high (not very, but enough) land.

BTW, what is this snow of which you lot speak? Here in Reading the ground is cold & hard, there is ice on the lake at the university, but snow? Nope!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Yorkshireman

• The Meaning of Life is ...
  • North Hykeham. Lincoln.
    • Yorkshireman's Ramblings
« Reply #1863 on: 01 December, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »
Yep. Something like that. Snow coming from the east has to get over the great heat source of the urban sprawl, & snow from any other direction has to get over high (not very, but enough) land.

BTW, what is this snow of which you lot speak? Here in Reading the ground is cold & hard, there is ice on the lake at the university, but snow? Nope!

I've got some here (9") if you want to call in and collect a bit - no charge 

;)

Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1864 on: 01 December, 2010, 03:29:47 pm »
NW Londonton has up to an inch of compacted ice on footways and nothing much on the roads.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1865 on: 01 December, 2010, 03:35:58 pm »
Am I the first person to spot a grit thief, btw?  There was one filling up a carrier bag from the bin at the roundabout by Carshalton College.  I shouted 'Thief!', but didn't stick around to discuss it.

I think I also saw someone in a truck nicking some from the E&C roundabout layby.  Audacious if they were.  They may have been delivering some, but I don't think so.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1866 on: 01 December, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »
In a rare act of forward thinking we bought two bags of rock salt from B&Q at the weekend.  I have sprinkled some on the garden path today and am very impressed - ice gone!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1867 on: 01 December, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »
Softie!

In Luton, by Tuesday morning we'd had about 3 cm, so I spent about an hour first thing clearing the snow from our drive, and also some of the elderly neighbour's drives and a clear strip on about 50 metres of pavement down to the shops. 

Today, due to the slight thaw during the day and a bit of sun, means it's all completely clear and bone dry so you can walk in safety, whilst the other side of the road is an ice rink.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #1868 on: 01 December, 2010, 05:57:18 pm »
.  It was insane.  With lots of futile horn honking.

I nearly asked one honker yesterday what need there was for gritter lories if he felt he could clear the road with a plaintive peep. Being a kindly person I decided not to.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1869 on: 01 December, 2010, 06:35:09 pm »
Some of my colleagues were allowed to not work today on the grounds that they had driven in but couldn't find anywhere to park because of the numbers of abandoned cars on the streets.  ::-)

Schools are closed, teachers get the days off, they're not asked to make the time up.

Those of us who have gone in, arrived late or left early, but have gone to work and worked, get an email saying our commitment is appreciated and we'll have to make up the time we've missed.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1870 on: 01 December, 2010, 07:03:04 pm »
Be good if people reporting snow etc could either give the county or nearest town (understand not giving exact location) would give a better picture.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #1871 on: 01 December, 2010, 07:45:03 pm »
We have a light covering with some icy bits and light but steady fall today in Brighton. Our road was slidey in the car this morning. School closed at lunchtime and I'm not expecting it to be open tomorrow. I didn't get to go out on the bike, but Mrs Dan reported that everyone was very considerate this morning.

All the travel web sites I tried today just seemed to be reporting M and A roads, no B roads. I'm sure they used to tell me about all roads.

MV - the delivery van sounds like a ready made larder for the snowpocalypse to me. Well planned.
Clarion - with you on waiting for snow types from wiggle.

« Reply #1872 on: 01 December, 2010, 07:52:51 pm »
The Met Office have a severe weather warning (heavy snow) for tonight and tomorrow in Southend and Thurrock, and looking out of my window they are right as its just started to snow in South Ockendon.

Martin

« Reply #1873 on: 01 December, 2010, 08:34:56 pm »
just started throwing it down again here (under the Gatport Airwick flightpath); having barely thawed since last night.

I'm delighted; last time this happened I was pondering how to get home from horsepiddle; and then pondering how to get up the GP to have my insides pushed back into my abdomen (or else Kleenexed up) every day  :hand:

« Reply #1874 on: 01 December, 2010, 08:47:59 pm »
just started throwing it down again here (under the Gatport Airwick flightpath); having barely thawed since last night.

I'm delighted; last time this happened I was pondering how to get home from horsepiddle; and then pondering how to get up the GP to have my insides pushed back into my abdomen (or else Kleenexed up) every day  :hand:

Thinking about it still makes me wince, M.
Enjoy this snowfall more than you did the last  :)