Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639568 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1925 on: 02 December, 2010, 12:25:48 pm »
The Tram to Wimbledon, and then the District Line onwards seems to be working fine. Apparently the trains into Victoria Station from East Croydon weren't running earlier. The trams rarely seem to have problems in this sort of weather, I guess the lighter weight and overhead power makes then more reliable in these conditions.

I was quite surprised how well the trams are running this week. I can get to East Croydon on the tram without too much bother (in fact coming back yesterday afternoon was the quickest I've ever managed by public transport). It's the croydon to gatwick bit which is causing me a problem. So today, I'm at home catching up with the reading/reviewing which I never get chance to do at work. I do hope the trains are running tomorrow, they seem to be running some services between East Croydon & London Bridge/Victoria now at least.

California Dreaming

« Reply #1926 on: 02 December, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »
Heard an amazing comment on tv news yesterday; a commuter expressed displeasure at trains being delayed and said "don't know why they have so much trouble - the underground seems to be coping".

In fairness, I missed where she was, possibly a station shared with over- and under-ground services?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1927 on: 02 December, 2010, 01:20:11 pm »
We've had about 30 flakes today.

Glad to see that we are at least 2 not subject to this collective hallucination of Siberian weather!

;D
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #1928 on: 02 December, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »
Snowing in Southampton meaning my flights are cancelled and I am going nowhere this weekend.
<-- Not happy.

simonp

« Reply #1929 on: 02 December, 2010, 01:40:07 pm »
We just had a light dusting in Bristol.

This was todays commute.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1</a>

You are remarkably in control, out of interest, which tyres do you use?

That was a light dusting, the only remotely interesting bit was the end of the side road where there were a few ruts.

The tyres are Nokian Haakkepecantspellitaa W106 running at about 30PSI so dog slow and draggy where it is clear.

There was only an inch of snow on teh front garden path (though the two steps were entertaining) but it was touch icy underneath.

..d

I pumped mine up to 65psi.  Not checked for a few days though.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1930 on: 02 December, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »
Snowing in Southampton meaning my flights are cancelled and I am going nowhere this weekend.
<-- Not happy.

Well it rarely snows properly in Southampton.  I work there, and in the past when I've struggled in through the snow and ice to get to work, as I arrive in the septic city, I find its clear of snow.  Not this time... I emailed in to say "no chance" to be informed by one who can walk to work, that it was just as bad there.  I'm not walking 4 miles to see if there is going to be a train running in the next hour or two, as there are no buses, and our little street is rather snowed up.

Mind you, Southampton airport isn't in Southampton...
Wombat

« Reply #1931 on: 02 December, 2010, 02:05:06 pm »
This is the snow in my back garden, in Croydon, just before I left for work earlier:

... and the view out of an upstairs window, looking along the street.

Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1932 on: 02 December, 2010, 02:11:05 pm »
We just had a light dusting in Bristol.

This was todays commute.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nmVH8rsXp_Y&rel=1</a>

You are remarkably in control, out of interest, which tyres do you use?

That was a light dusting, the only remotely interesting bit was the end of the side road where there were a few ruts.

The tyres are Nokian Haakkepecantspellitaa W106 running at about 30PSI so dog slow and draggy where it is clear.

There was only an inch of snow on teh front garden path (though the two steps were entertaining) but it was touch icy underneath.

..d

I pumped mine up to 65psi.  Not checked for a few days though.

65 is great untill you hit bumps and ridges of ice, or deep consolidated snow. Then the low pressure gives more control. The rest of the time it just sucks energy though.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

border-rider

« Reply #1933 on: 02 December, 2010, 02:13:25 pm »
We've had about 30 flakes today.

we had a bit of a flurry this morning and the sky is leaden, but there's no great difficulty in getting to the pub out and about

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1934 on: 02 December, 2010, 02:14:36 pm »
Few flakes here in Toronto as I walked in today, nothing like London's snowpocalypse

« Reply #1935 on: 02 December, 2010, 04:14:10 pm »
This is our back garden in Southend:

And here's the car, which gives you a better sense of how much snow there is:

« Reply #1936 on: 02 December, 2010, 04:23:37 pm »
It seems like nearly 2ft here in Biggin Hill.  Been out all day with miniMikey sledging.  I suppose that makes a worthy alternative to speedskating training I was supposed to do tonight, but have cancelled.   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1937 on: 02 December, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »
Is Wafflycat still on here? We need an update to this story:
Hugh Muir's diary | Politics | The Guardian

Because it's cold indeed, and it's slippery, and in such conditions anything could happen. "Snow on Dereham shop roof could fall on shoppers," warned the Eastern Daily Press.

ps. that page in the Guardian (for me at least) carries an advert from the MoD - Become and Army Officer
What? Are they allowing army officers to have beards these days, and are combat sandles on general issue?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1938 on: 02 December, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »
The armed forces have advertised in the Guardian for a long time, as it is generally the best newspaper for sourcing graduates.

Interestingly, 'Lord' Ashcroft's effort this Parliamentary session seems to have amounted to trying to get the Govt to move all civil service advertising away from the Guardian.  Coincidentally, this campaign started round about the same time as the paper published more research into his financial affairs and tax evasion.

Bit unfair, mind, since the Guardian's espousal of the Lib dems probably helped the Tories into power...
Getting there...

« Reply #1939 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »
In the Post Office earlier today, I saw a notice saying that the Special Delivery service is not currently guaranteed. The beginning of the end for the last working part of the PO?

« Reply #1940 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:28:21 pm »
In the Post Office earlier today, I saw a notice saying that the Special Delivery service is not currently guaranteed. The beginning of the end for the last working part of the PO?

No, from time to time they've previously suspended the guarantee on Special Delivery.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1941 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:31:14 pm »

No, from time to time they've previously suspended the guarantee on Special Delivery.

It didn't work for me when I paid the Saturday delivery premium in July this year. They didn't make any attempt to deliver the package until the Monday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Martin

« Reply #1942 on: 02 December, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1943 on: 02 December, 2010, 06:35:29 pm »
I went down to the station to see if I could get a train to Gillingham this afternoon to see my mum who is in hospital there. Apparently I'd just missed the only one they'd had in about 3 hours and, if I cared to wait, there might be another one along sometime today, but they couldn't guarantee I'd get one to come back on. I went home.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #1944 on: 02 December, 2010, 06:45:43 pm »

It didn't work for me when I paid the Saturday delivery premium in July this year. They didn't make any attempt to deliver the package until the Monday.

Was the Monday a July one?

« Reply #1945 on: 02 December, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »
Well we had a compleyely hassle free trip from Stoke Mandeville to Marylebone and back today  :smug:

And central Londonton was virtually empty to boot!  Excellent day out, and a nice lunch at Tibits on Herron Street just off Piccadilly, a veggie "pay by weight" place.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1946 on: 02 December, 2010, 07:18:22 pm »
Ch4 News: temperatures in the Scottish highlands tonight are expected to drop to Minus Twenty Celsius.

Worth putting up with Jon Snow's tie for that information.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1947 on: 02 December, 2010, 07:46:34 pm »
Gah its started snowing again in Lewisham - when is the assault of Caradhras going to end  ???

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1948 on: 02 December, 2010, 08:55:35 pm »

Was the Monday a July one?

It was 1st August.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Martin

« Reply #1949 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:08:59 am »
We haz trains tomorrow!

they are however 10km away; with no car / buses and a very snowy completely uncyclable ex-railway line to walk along;

"I may be some time"