Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639566 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1950 on: 03 December, 2010, 07:13:04 am »
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #1951 on: 03 December, 2010, 07:30:51 am »
I just heard on the radio that it was -17 in Sherriff Hutton about 5 miles from us last night. That's cold even for North Yorkshire.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1952 on: 03 December, 2010, 08:11:41 am »
Ch4 News: temperatures in the Scottish highlands tonight are expected to drop to Minus Twenty Celsius.

Well, that's just stupid. There's no need for that kind of cold. That sort of temperature belongs on Pluto, not here.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1953 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:04:10 am »
I just heard on the radio that it was -17 in Sherriff Hutton about 5 miles from us last night. That's cold even for North Yorkshire.

I dunno.  I've had some pretty frosty receptions from landowners ;)
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1954 on: 03 December, 2010, 09:21:32 am »
-9degC outside the kitchen window at 5.45 this morning ...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1955 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:04:54 am »
I was unable to have a shower, this morning, as semi-frozen water pipes had reduced the flow to a trickle.  Had to wash out of the bathroom sink.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

border-rider

« Reply #1956 on: 03 December, 2010, 10:20:13 am »
It's fine here - still just a cm or so, with the roads a bit icy in places but nothing troublesome.  Mrs MV is having no difficulty getting out to go to work, and the trickiest part is the turn out of our drive and up the hill.

Despite that, our postpeople seem to have been eaten by snow leopards - nothing for about a week, and there's a load of stuff that I know was sent last week.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1957 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:05:43 am »
Ch4 News: temperatures in the Scottish highlands tonight are expected to drop to Minus Twenty Celsius.

Well, that's just stupid. There's no need for that kind of cold. That sort of temperature belongs on Pluto, not here.

So there is no coincidence that the coldest place in Scotland sounds like someone sneezing then?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Martin

« Reply #1958 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:12:30 am »
I am probably the only person  in my town to have got to work by public transport this morning (there being no trains or buses) by walking 10km along the Worth Way to Three Bridges (which was very crunchy and cold)

I met one cyclist coming the other way, in my club of course  ;)

« Reply #1959 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:40:38 am »
Working from home yesterday and today, lucky as SWT stopped running trains at various points yesterday, but fine today.

Just spent 45 minutes clearing the steps up to our front door, that should make it easier for Mrs GB and buggy.

Luckily the council have gritted the pavements so I was able to snaffle a bit of salt for the stairs to keep them clear.

Body lovely and warm but hands got cold.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1960 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:45:08 am »
I am working from home today (as I did yesterday). I cycled the first three days this week but the roads round us were just silly yesterday. There were four buses stuck at the top of the hill.

I'm lucky. I can easily work from home (in fact I work better here 'cos I don't get subjected to mindless witterings and interruptions all day long).

First thing this morning I cleared the pavement of the half inch of ice from outside the front of the house. Hoping it inspires our neighbours to do likewise. (Forlorn hope I suspect.) No sign of any gritting on the pavements at all.
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1961 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:45:32 am »
I've just taken the dog to the park.

It's freezing hard and the results of the past 3 days' falls is that we have a fairly uniform 10" lying.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1962 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:48:47 am »

It's freezing hard and the results of the past 3 days' falls is that we have a fairly uniform 10" lying.

That is some turd.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1963 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:55:21 am »

That is some turd.

Furthermore, I've just checked the Met Office website and they've upgraded our Severe Weather Warning for Saturday form yellow to orange, and introduced a new one for Sunday, at yellow.

Will the drains be able to cope?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1964 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:19:56 pm »

That is some turd.
Seriously, that is one of the worst things about the Polish winter. When the snow melts it reveals four or so months' worth of dog turds which have been preserved by the frost.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1965 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:23:59 pm »

That is some turd.
Seriously, that is one of the worst things about the Polish winter. When the snow melts it reveals four or so months' worth of dog turds which have been preserved by the frost.

I remember that from Denmark too, don't eat the yellow and brown snow :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1966 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »

I dunno.  I've had some pretty frosty receptions from landowners ;)

RAF Leeming has reported -17.9, apparently the coldest temp since records began there in 1945.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1967 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:49:29 pm »
Despite that, our postpeople seem to have been eaten by snow leopards - nothing for about a week, and there's a load of stuff that I know was sent last week.

I was surprised to pass our postie this morning as I was on my way to the station. Not only was I not expecting him to be out today, he was earlier than usual!

Fingers crossed my Sealskinz socks arrive soon. Even if the snow goes away, I'm not expecting it to warm up any time soon.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1968 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:54:56 pm »
-12.4° C at Scampton at 8 am this morning, but it didn't feel that warm when I went for a walk in the lanes.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1969 on: 03 December, 2010, 12:56:44 pm »
We had a packaged delivered by van just as I was taking the dog out around 11 a.m.

Sometimes I manage to get out of bed and unlock the door in time on hearing the doorbell ring, but since this driver normally arrives between 7 and 7.30 and sticks a card through the door, we have to collect at the sorting office.

"What time do you call this?" I demanded, "I was up at 7 o'clock expecting you to turn up!"

He laughed uproariously.

Oh, such urban banter! Such urbane wit!

« Reply #1970 on: 03 December, 2010, 02:10:02 pm »
Last night big boss started a conversation with me that concluded that 'the roads are fine' but everyone else concluded that 'you can leave early'. I did wonder how come I was the last to leave at 5-15.
Currently debating if it's worth rescheduling my flights for 2 weeks time. I just don't see any sign of a thaw :-( where do you get a medium range forecast from?

Chris S

« Reply #1971 on: 03 December, 2010, 02:29:43 pm »
Last night big boss started a conversation with me that concluded that 'the roads are fine' but everyone else concluded that 'you can leave early'. I did wonder how come I was the last to leave at 5-15.
Currently debating if it's worth rescheduling my flights for 2 weeks time. I just don't see any sign of a thaw :-( where do you get a medium range forecast from?

Here: UK weather forecast - Met Office

Tabs with forecasts out to 30 days.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1972 on: 03 December, 2010, 03:04:11 pm »
Nothing fallen here in Ely since Monday's 1-2 inches. Icy on side roads & pavements that get no sun, otherwise bone dry and clear. Same in P'boro' where I was yesterday, plus all of the cross-fen roads.

Weird looking at all the chaos on the news when it's just bloody cold & dry here.

« Reply #1973 on: 03 December, 2010, 03:05:41 pm »
I wouldn't place any credence in a medium range forecast whatsoever.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Chris S

« Reply #1974 on: 03 December, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »
I wouldn't place any credence in a medium range forecast whatsoever.

Neither would I. But hey, the lady asked.  :)