Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639557 times)

Martin

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2000 on: 04 December, 2010, 11:00:45 am »
We've had next to bugger all snow here in Warwick

That's good, Mrs Zoom is on her way up to the castle for a girlie Xmas market weekend having managed to escape The Frozen South last night.

Some antisocial git has put the contents of their front garden flower bed all over the road a few doors up  >:(

Nor sure whether to move the car to a clearer road about a mile away before the slushy ridge down the middle of the road freezes and becomes a front (whatever that plasticcy bit under the bumper is called) and sump removal tool  :-\

« Reply #2001 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:00:16 pm »
That's good, Mrs Zoom is on her way up to the castle for a girlie Xmas market weekend having managed to escape The Frozen South last night.

About 4.5C here now and still flake-free. If you're in touch with Mrs Zoom & depending on her tastes, I'm sure she'll find the Rose & Crown in the centre very decent. The Lazy Cow, a sort of upmarket steakhouse, is new & untried.  There is a tapas bar on the High Street that looks decent. It's called Catalan. Being a touristy town there are no end of eateries, but I tend not to eat out here that often.

In the (unlikely) event she's into real ale, The Oak on Coten End and The Wild Boar in Lakin Road are decent too, with the latter being more decorated, for want of a better word. They're both within 5 mins walk of each other and close to the station.

Oh, and Marc Almond is on at The Assembly in Leamington - 3 miles away - tomorrow!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2002 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:06:21 pm »
Oh, and Marc Almond is on at The Assembly in Leamington - 3 miles away - tomorrow!

The opening bars of "Tainted Love" have to be the scene-setting sound of the Eighties (pun intended). 

In other news, I have running water again.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2003 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2004 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:25:07 pm »
Too camp for you? Well, next Saturday they've got Les McKeown's Bay City Rollers live (just) on stage! Did out yer tartan scarves.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2005 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2006 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:29:45 pm »
The penguins are enjoying the snow.
yeah jumping for joy I see, or rather just standing there.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2007 on: 04 December, 2010, 12:37:16 pm »
Too camp for you? Well, next Saturday they've got Les McKeown's Bay City Rollers live (just) on stage! Did out yer tartan scarves.

The horror! Too ghastly to even think about. Noooo, tooooo laaaaaa...

« Reply #2008 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:00:07 pm »
Après moi le froid, le déluge.

With apologies to Louis XV.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2009 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:01:23 pm »
A bit of a thaw today. I can see the tarmac on the roads in and around the village for the first time in a week (our lane is still snow and ice though).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2010 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:19:15 pm »
It's much warmer here in Londonton today, about 4-5C. Snow's mostly melted. Nice to see cops caught bike thieves 'despite the snow'...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11918587

Fi

« Reply #2011 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:22:54 pm »
Thaw here too, but the road and pavements on our short side street were like an ice rink this morning.  Much worse than when the snow was lying.

« Reply #2012 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:25:40 pm »
It's only going to be a brief respite here it seems as they are predicting -8 for tomorrow night.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2013 on: 04 December, 2010, 01:54:26 pm »
The penguins are enjoying the snow.

Never mind the penguins - its a webcam on Mercedes and Walker up in Kincraig that I want to see.  I've having to make do with stills on Flickr Flickr: Highland Wildlife Park
Aero but not dynamic

Martin

« Reply #2014 on: 04 December, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »

About 4.5C here now and still flake-free. If you're in touch with Mrs Zoom & depending on her tastes, I'm sure she'll find the Rose & Crown in the centre very decent. The Lazy Cow, a sort of upmarket steakhouse, is new & untried.  There is a tapas bar on the High Street that looks decent. It's called Catalan. Being a touristy town there are no end of eateries, but I tend not to eat out here that often.

In the (unlikely) event she's into real ale,

she is occasionally as it happens  :) however it's an organised coach trip so she'll be enduring the M40 to somewhere nice and Christmassy like Bromsgrove Travelodge as we speak before being decanted at Worcester for more tat tomorrow

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2015 on: 04 December, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
i think I need new specs:
If you're in touch with Mrs Zoom & depending on her tastes, I'm sure she'll find the Rose & Crown in the centre very decent. The Lazy Cow

:o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2016 on: 04 December, 2010, 03:07:52 pm »
i think I need new specs:
If you're in touch with Mrs Zoom & depending on her tastes, I'm sure she'll find the Rose & Crown in the centre very decent. The Lazy Cow.

:o

This is getting dangerous, where me helmet
                                                      :P
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2017 on: 04 December, 2010, 03:40:51 pm »
3C and damp'n'drizzly in Liverpool.    If it freezes overnight it'll be lovely & slippy  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2018 on: 04 December, 2010, 04:03:28 pm »
I've just taken the dog to the park.

It's freezing hard and the results of the past 3 days' falls is that we have a fairly uniform 10" lying.

That is some turd.
Seriously, that is one of the worst things about the Polish winter. When the snow melts it reveals four or so months' worth of dog turds which have been preserved by the frost.

There's a Scouting Badge in that, I think

It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #2019 on: 04 December, 2010, 07:48:19 pm »
she'll be enduring the M40 to somewhere nice and Christmassy like Bromsgrove Travelodge

I was wrong; Brum Airport Holiday Inn!

« Reply #2020 on: 05 December, 2010, 12:39:59 pm »
If that's the one I'm thinking of, it's right by the entrance to the old airport (now a freight air terminal) and alledgedly something of an art deco classic.

Right in the middle of nowhere though!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2021 on: 05 December, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »
The only reason that any tarmac is visible on my street is because the water gushing out of the burst water main has washed it away in one thin rivulet ending at the gutter outside my driveway.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2022 on: 05 December, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »
There very little snow left on the main roads, and even the residential roads and footpaths have been reduced to a mixture of clear bits, and slushy areas.

The occasional patch of icy bit can catch you by surprise when walking, and once the temperature drops below zero again (forecast for later today), what's left is going to be "Interesting" to walk on.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #2023 on: 05 December, 2010, 03:54:19 pm »
Mostly gone from my roof. I know this because in the early hours of Saturday morning there was a sound like someone yanking a heavy quilt off off the roof, followed by an almighty crash as all the accumulated snow avalanched to the ground.

I'd have preferred it if the avalanche hadn't removed my gutter, smashed the patio table, and shattered the lid of the big plastic storage thing that houses the lawnmower and other items of garden paraphernalia.

This is my punishment for being a skinflint and not leaving the heating running night and day to melt the stuff.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2024 on: 05 December, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »
In places where snow is a several-month presence, people go up on the roofs and clear the snow off with shovels, having first taped off an appropriate area of pavement to prevent accidentally creating snow-bypassers. But you might not have a long enough ladder to do that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.