Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639468 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2025 on: 05 December, 2010, 04:43:40 pm »
I've just been for a quick spin round our normal training loop.  I didn't have to get far before finding that the unsalted roads are still verrrry icy.  It may not have been terribly smart to go up hills caked with ice equipped with a fixed shod with smooth and, truth be told, slightly over-worn, tyres.  But it was fun.
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #2026 on: 05 December, 2010, 05:11:10 pm »
In places where snow is a several-month presence, people go up on the roofs and clear the snow off with shovels, having first taped off an appropriate area of pavement to prevent accidentally creating snow-bypassers. But you might not have a long enough ladder to do that.

Alas I live in a three storey house, so it's not easy to see what's up there (short of getting a train to Beckenham Junction and peering out of the window when it passes by on the embankment) and I didn't think it was that bad. And no, far too high for any ladder I have or want to have.

I was quite shocked to find, when discussing it with a few neighbours, that everyone seems to leave their central heating on 24/7. Which probably explains why I have a large collections of sweaters but no gutter.

Fortunately, it didn't squoosh the cats. I'll go wrestle our insurers who I am sure have some kind of inevitable small print that excludes gutters, snow, Saturday mornings, etc.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2027 on: 05 December, 2010, 05:22:47 pm »
I'll go wrestle our insurers who I am sure have some kind of inevitable small print that excludes gutters, snow, Saturday mornings, etc.

My insurers seem to have small print that excludes CLAIMS::-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2028 on: 05 December, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »
I am going to bed, with a bottle of Whiskey, I am going to stay there til Spring
    Any experience like you have had is enough to make one feel like this

Mostly gone from my roof. I know this because in the early hours of Saturday morning there was a sound like someone yanking a heavy quilt off off the roof, followed by an almighty crash as all the accumulated snow avalanched to the ground.

I'd have preferred it if the avalanche hadn't removed my gutter, smashed the patio table, and shattered the lid of the big plastic storage thing that houses the lawnmower and other items of garden paraphernalia.

This is my punishment for being a skinflint and not leaving the heating running night and day to melt the stuff.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2029 on: 05 December, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »
In places where snow is a several-month presence, people go up on the roofs and clear the snow off with shovels, having first taped off an appropriate area of pavement to prevent accidentally creating snow-bypassers. But you might not have a long enough ladder to do that.

Alas I live in a three storey house, so it's not easy to see what's up there (short of getting a train to Beckenham Junction and peering out of the window when it passes by on the embankment) and I didn't think it was that bad. And no, far too high for any ladder I have or want to have.

I was quite shocked to find, when discussing it with a few neighbours, that everyone seems to leave their central heating on 24/7. Which probably explains why I have a large collections of sweaters but no gutter.

Fortunately, it didn't squoosh the cats. I'll go wrestle our insurers who I am sure have some kind of inevitable small print that excludes gutters, snow, Saturday mornings, etc.

Scottish Widows may be understanding...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11922246

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2030 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:37:12 pm »
Mostly gone from my roof. I know this because in the early hours of Saturday morning there was a sound like someone yanking a heavy quilt off off the roof, followed by an almighty crash as all the accumulated snow avalanched to the ground.

I'd have preferred it if the avalanche hadn't removed my gutter, smashed the patio table, and shattered the lid of the big plastic storage thing that houses the lawnmower and other items of garden paraphernalia.

This is my punishment for being a skinflint and not leaving the heating running night and day to melt the stuff.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to workout hte effect of gravity (though I am led to believe they are rather good at it) nor that lots of snow will weigh more than a several of kilograms and such densely packed ice that it has become would do considerable damage.

It also wouldn't surprise me if your insurer decided that you had plenty of time to move said items out of harms way once aware that there was snow on the roof.

Bummer really.

We are just breeding reasonably impressive icicles front and rear. I'm hoping the guttering doesn't give way.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #2031 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:54:40 pm »
I'll go wrestle our insurers who I am sure have some kind of inevitable small print that excludes gutters, snow, Saturday mornings, etc.

My insurers seem to have small print that excludes CLAIMS::-)

This is why I don't have insurance.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2032 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:56:39 pm »
Or for being sensible enough to have decent insulation.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #2033 on: 05 December, 2010, 09:49:18 pm »

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to workout hte effect of gravity (though I am led to believe they are rather good at it) nor that lots of snow will weigh more than a several of kilograms and such densely packed ice that it has become would do considerable damage.

It also wouldn't surprise me if your insurer decided that you had plenty of time to move said items out of harms way once aware that there was snow on the roof.

Bummer really.

We are just breeding reasonably impressive icicles front and rear. I'm hoping the guttering doesn't give way.

..d

Yes, but a rocket scientist would undoubtedly cobble together some kind of rocket, launch it into orbit, deploy a satellite and receive photometric telemetry of the build up of snow on his roof. Then he'd run back out to the shed, build a second rocket, launch that, and deploy another satellite with a large IR laser that he'd use to melt the snow and ice off the roof. Before, of course, holding the world to ransom while laughing evilly.

I am not a rocket scientist, of course, just an ex-biochemist. Stuff that happens on my roof may as well be on Mars. It's not like I can much about it, unless I climb up there, and I'm not a registered grown-up that can left unsupervised with a ladder.

Of course, you are probably right, they will reject my claim on the basis that I could have built a jetpack and flown up there to check.

David Martin

« Reply #2034 on: 05 December, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »
You keep your patio table on the roof?

ian

« Reply #2035 on: 05 December, 2010, 10:03:16 pm »
You keep your patio table on the roof?

Don't we all? Keeping them on the patio is so passe.

« Reply #2036 on: 05 December, 2010, 10:23:35 pm »
Yes, but a rocket scientist would undoubtedly cobble together some kind of rocket, launch it into orbit, deploy a satellite and receive photometric telemetry of the build up of snow on his roof. Then he'd run back out to the shed, build a second rocket, launch that, and deploy another satellite with a large IR laser that he'd use to melt the snow and ice off the roof. Before, of course, holding the world to ransom while laughing evilly. ...

You called?

No I wouldn't, I'm a bit short of the several million quid a cheap launch would cost, plus I'm pretty sure the council wouldn't give me planning permission.

I could train Talisker to go up on the roof and poke the snow with a stick, but he's only been outside the house once for about ten minutes since Tuesday. :-\  Really not up to the standard of Blofeld's moggy.
Actually, it is rocket science.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2037 on: 05 December, 2010, 10:50:50 pm »
Lots of the white stuff still lying around in the Peaks...
Wandered though Baslow this evening..... -11C and freezing fog. Brrr!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #2038 on: 05 December, 2010, 10:52:29 pm »

And an engineer will tell you between 1 and 3 kN/m3 which although not rocket science is a pretty useful fact to design a roof!
Chief cat entertainer.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2039 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:05:12 am »
Some serious snowfall around the border of Cuyahoga and Medina counties.  Unfortunately I was on the road at the time.  Last week I drove through a downpour, tonight through a blizzard.  Can't say either was fun, though things look prettier after a blizzard.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2040 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:40:29 am »
No more snow overnight here, and talking to people round the country this morning it seems limited to Scotland.

It is -12 here at the moment though :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2041 on: 06 December, 2010, 09:20:44 am »
Seems to be pretty much melting round here.  It looks v. icy, but I've not been out.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2042 on: 06 December, 2010, 09:24:16 am »
-4 here.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2043 on: 06 December, 2010, 09:36:06 am »
And its -10 here this morning. -17 at Topcliffe !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2044 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:19:42 am »
No new snow, but it was -15 here this morning.

David Martin

« Reply #2045 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:21:39 am »
Light snow here for the school rush. Even more idiots than normal who don't clear their windscreens.

..d

« Reply #2046 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:25:18 am »
Absolutely tipping it down here and the roads have a good few inches of fresh snow already. The pavements were so treacherous this morning I may stroll down to the bus stop in my crampons.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #2047 on: 06 December, 2010, 12:11:35 pm »
Make sure you keep the little string out of the snow...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2048 on: 06 December, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »
Absolutely tipping it down here and the roads have a good few inches of fresh snow already. The pavements were so treacherous this morning I may stroll down to the bus stop in my crampons.

You might have trouble with the return journey, I've just read that they've suspended all services for the moment.  Hopefully they'll be able to resume later this afternoon.  But its still falling steadily just now.
Aero but not dynamic

LindaG

« Reply #2049 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:03:45 pm »
-3 here.  I just rode home from the hardware shop and got an ice cream headache.  Ow.