Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639424 times)

Chris S

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2050 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »
-3 here.  I just rode home from the hardware shop and got an ice cream headache.  Ow.

I wish our Hardware Shop sold ice creams...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2051 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:23:44 pm »
Had an early meeting to represent someone in a disciplinary. Got the result we wanted. Got bus into office - took 90 minutes. Arrived just in time for lunch, then got sent home because the snow was getting heavier and the buses had all been suspended. We had fun walking home. There were eight of us set off together and Brooke has just got her engagement ring - the precious - and trudging through the deep snow we were like the Fellowship of the Ring. We managed to avoid the Bingham orcs. Excellent day!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2052 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:47:35 pm »
Sounds like absolute chaos out there.  From the BBC website - The Forth Road Bridge has been closed southbound because of a lorry jack-knifing... Edinburgh city centre is gridlocked as is the city bypass... The M8 is closed in both directions due to a jack-knifed lorry at Harthill...It is also gridlocked on the M8 through the centre of Glasgow, causing jams throughout the city...In Lanarkshire, the M73, M74 and A725 are at a standstill...The M8 was badly hit by snow..The M80 is closed southbound near Striling, with queuing traffic and long delays at M9 junction 9, Bannockburn, because of snow.

And I believe the Embra buses are still suspended, its difficult to tell as their website doesn't seem to be responding.

My sympathies to anyone trying to make it home just now.
Aero but not dynamic

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2053 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:00:56 pm »
Hopefully Dunfermline / west fife buses will be running tomorrow! 

« Reply #2054 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:04:04 pm »
I had a day's leave and so thankfully avoided my commute into Edinburgh and the chaos being reported there for the best part of the day.
Instead, I did my good Samaritan thing and dug out one of my neighbours who managed to get her car sideways across our narrow street.

The snow in Dunfermline has stopped, but it's now very foggy.

Roll on Spring.

« Reply #2055 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »
And I believe the Embra buses are still suspended, its difficult to tell as their website doesn't seem to be responding.

"Buses are currently re-entering service. Please bear with us as buses start to appear back on their respective routes." reported 1 hr ago on http://twitter.com/on_lothianbuses

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2056 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:10:02 pm »
Nearly all the snow was washed away from east Kent in the space of a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon, but I was surprised to see that most of west Kent was still under a thick white blanket as my train passed through the Medway area this morning. I don't think any of it is freshly fallen though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2057 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:18:55 pm »
Nearly all the snow was washed away from east Kent in the space of a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon, but I was surprised to see that most of west Kent was still under a thick white blanket as my train passed through the Medway area this morning. I don't think any of it is freshly fallen though.

d.

Similarly with Brighton, but yesterday evening there was still snow sitting on the ground the other side of the South Downs. |
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2058 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:55:37 pm »
I know is has been snowing in Belfast as Mrs Jaded is stuck there waiting for her flight back to Bristol. Could be cancelled, apparently.  ::-)
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2059 on: 06 December, 2010, 07:50:57 pm »
And now it is cancelled.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2060 on: 06 December, 2010, 07:56:47 pm »
How many more times is the weather going to change, this Winter?  It's most deadly at the interface between one state and the next, very often.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #2061 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:03:44 pm »
On of my team left his house in Crieff at 7am this morning to go to Glasgow airport for a flight to France. He phoned me at 11am to say he was stuck on the M80, no traffic moving at all. I think he's still there now :o

I was working in Leven in Fife today and the drive home to Bo'ness was actually pretty easy until South Queensferry. The road from there along to Bo'ness was in terrible condition, really dodgy mix of very hard frozen snow and ice. I don't think I'll be going out tomorrow.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #2062 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:04:29 pm »
I wish you lot would stop boasting about your snow.  Here in central Hertfordshire we have had a single session of less than 15mm.  I did manage a walk around the lakes at Stanborough the next day and it was rather attractive and the lakes were totally frozen over.  BUT THAT WAS IT.  I can't even blag a snow-day off work as I retired in August.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2063 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:09:26 pm »
And now it is cancelled.

and yet, as she queues at Belfast to get booked onto tomorrow morning's flight and get a hotel for tonight, the easyjet site shows the cancelled flight as 'on time'.  ;D

« Reply #2064 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:26:26 pm »
And now it is cancelled.

Pub then

;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2065 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:18:59 pm »
No more snow but ice remains and I think that this is as cold as I can ever remember in England. And no sign of warming.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2066 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:39:48 pm »
Just got in (from something vaguely cycle related). -7.5C on the car thermometer. Navigating round the hyoooge alpine massifs of snow in the Tesco carpark ice rink.

And it has now been cold enough, long enough to feel warm.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

border-rider

« Reply #2067 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:46:53 pm »
Just got in (from something vaguely cycle related). -7.5C on the car thermometer.

This pic

was taken at about 3:30 this afternoon.  I doubt it got above -5 all day here...

« Reply #2068 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:54:55 pm »
Just had a lift from work in my mates car and temperature was reading -10c had to scrape ice from inside the car
Climb every mountain, onwards and upwards.
Next event:- ??????

« Reply #2069 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:02:57 pm »
-15 marks the coldest ever temperature I've ever ridden in.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2070 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:05:56 pm »
Hanging the washing outside on the line was a mistake, even it was sunny today.

When I took it off the line, it was all stiff and glittery.   :facepalm:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2071 on: 06 December, 2010, 11:19:44 pm »
I just turned a tap on,  no water...... luckily I've got my Zombocalypse supply of bottle stuff, but I don't think I'll be having a shower tomorrow  >:(

-3.5 on my balcony, 4 floors up.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2072 on: 07 December, 2010, 12:05:44 am »

Presumably you are now out clubbing?

« Reply #2073 on: 07 December, 2010, 12:12:41 am »

Presumably you are now out clubbing?

Nah, it was the bedding - and toga parties are more of a student thing anyway.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2074 on: 07 December, 2010, 03:29:53 am »
Bought some snowboard trousers at the weekend. They're lime green, but I don't care, they're toasty warm, waterproof and cheap. If the snow boots I've ordered online turn up before the weekend I'm going to be the happiest guy in the world.

-12c at the moment.