Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639379 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2125 on: 10 December, 2010, 05:56:37 pm »
Nah. I were just being linguistically sloppy.

The old cast iron gutter belonging to the neighbour on one side fell, taking down half of mine, which was attached to it, & loosening the rest. The gutter belonging to the neighbour on the other side fell a few days later along with the rest of mine.

Lotsa snow.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LindaG

« Reply #2126 on: 10 December, 2010, 09:41:48 pm »
Thawing nicely here.  Just in time for tomorrow's ride  ::-) 

We've lost some soffitt board, due to the trapped starling's nest defrosting.  What a mess.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2127 on: 11 December, 2010, 11:32:23 am »
And....  breathe.

Snow all gone.  Phew.  It melted very quickly on Thursday night, all day Friday, with only a few slabs of ice left now.

Just in time for the delivery of my new tyres for the trike.

And another thing - where's my Alfine Day 01?  I ordered it over two weeks ago.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2128 on: 11 December, 2010, 05:05:48 pm »
And....  breathe.

Snow all gone.  Phew.  It melted very quickly on Thursday night, all day Friday, with only a few slabs of ice left now.

Not yet here in Biggin Hill.  There are still piles of snow, and a distinct extra chill in the air as you get up the hill.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2129 on: 11 December, 2010, 08:06:10 pm »
I cleared the 4" of ice from the pavement outside my house, wide enough so that a pram could fit along. Then some joker in a snowplough decided that 18" boulders of ice were just what is needed to make the  pavement even more pedestrian friendly, leaving the whole lot pssabl only by a particularly expert chamois.

And the grit bin over the road and round the corner is now empty (so I reported it on the cooncil  web site.)

The ice melt that was flowing back into the house past the gutters has now ceased.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2130 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »
And....  breathe.

Not yet here in Biggin Hill.  There are still piles of snow, and a distinct extra chill in the air as you get up the hill.

Here in balmy Brent, not really far away, it's been 7-8°C today and there's been no snow for several days...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2131 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:55:30 pm »
I was surprised how many times I came across compacted snow / ice / slush on my ride home today, given that the temperature has been above freezing now for several days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2132 on: 12 December, 2010, 01:30:29 am »
Weather man on the radio has just told me that it's all going to happen again on Thursday.  Bugger.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2133 on: 12 December, 2010, 09:13:04 am »
It's currently -3oC in South Manchester when it was supposed to be above freezing.
We're on a group ride in an hour so it could be carnage if there is any ice.
This lot can cycle into each other on a summer's day..........................

« Reply #2134 on: 12 December, 2010, 09:35:22 am »
is hovering around freezing here with still a lot of uncleared frozen water. It melted a little yesterday  then overnight the meltwater froze on top of the compacted snow: its horribly slippy.  im sticking to completely cleared roads today but if yesterdays anything to go by the christmas frenzy is in full frenz  so roads will be busy 

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2135 on: 12 December, 2010, 09:39:55 am »
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #2136 on: 12 December, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »
An old fuck buddy friend has just apologised for being late online. But she wasn't really bothered with having to clear 3 feet of snow. And there's several more coming. (St. P MN)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris S

« Reply #2137 on: 12 December, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »
Checks thermometer in garden: -1
Checks weather: Drizzling

Now that's going to be fun in the morning  :facepalm:.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2138 on: 13 December, 2010, 07:33:39 am »
Freezing fog this morning.  :(

*Prepares for the utter f*ckwits who will be on the road this morning*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2139 on: 13 December, 2010, 10:34:02 am »
Somewhere between a thin crust of ice and drifts up to about 80cm here on the Eastern Wall of Europe. We had a nice sledge ride to a relative's yesterday, about a mile each way, though it was impossible to pull a personned sledge over the lumps where the wild boar had been digging for food. We also proved that it is possible for an enthusiastic 6 year old to pull his daddy on a sledge on level ground - with just a little help!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2140 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:21:19 pm »
Somewhere between a thin crust of ice and drifts up to about 80cm here on the Eastern Wall of Europe. We had a nice sledge ride to a relative's yesterday, about a mile each way, though it was impossible to pull a personned sledge over the lumps where the wild boar had been digging for food. We also proved that it is possible for an enthusiastic 6 year old to pull his daddy on a sledge on level ground - with just a little help!

I have been told a whip helps

:demon:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2141 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:37:49 pm »
It's currently nearly 8C here, and yet there is still some frost on parts of my lawn. They are forecasting -10C for Saturday night, I am starting to be glad I am working this weekend so had no chance of riding the bike anyway.

« Reply #2142 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:11:14 pm »
Lovely and sunny in North Oxfordshire, went out on trike (to dentist) and went base over apex on the thin layer of ice on our front path
                                                :P
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Chris S

« Reply #2143 on: 13 December, 2010, 03:58:19 pm »
An old fuck buddy friend has just apologised for being late online. But she wasn't really bothered with having to clear 3 feet of snow. And there's several more coming. (St. P MN)

Indeed.

BBC News - Moment when Metrodome roof collapses after snow deluge

Amazing scenes. I watched Vikings vs Green Bay play there in the 80s. Nice place. When I was there, it was -9c and pouring with rain  :o.

« Reply #2144 on: 13 December, 2010, 07:34:20 pm »

Amazing scenes. I watched Vikings vs Green Bay play there in the 80s. Nice place. When I was there, it was -9c and pouring with rain  :o.

That's pretty benign, plenty of buildings have collapsed entirely due to unusually heavy snow loading on their roofs.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris S

« Reply #2145 on: 13 December, 2010, 07:52:49 pm »

That's pretty benign, plenty of buildings have collapsed entirely due to unusually heavy snow loading on their roofs.

True. Most building collapses happen due to wet, cloying snow which is heavy. Minneapolis doesn't usually get snow like that - it gets the "wrong kind" - the fluffy, dry snow, which shouldn't be a problem to the Metrodome.

The inflatable roof only worked because of positive air pressure within. When you go into the arena, you have to go through double air-tight doors, and boy do your ears pop.

I guess the weight of snow was too much even for that.

« Reply #2146 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:07:47 pm »
Temperatures here are plummeting by the minute, it was 8C at midday and now -3.2C and falling rapidly, plus freezing fog.
Cheddar reservoir is actually frozen today, my dog ran around on the ice while I nearly had kittens expecting her to fall through. I have never seen it freeze before.

I was going to go out on the bike with a friend tomorrow but am now having second thoughts  :o

« Reply #2147 on: 13 December, 2010, 08:43:09 pm »
-14°C in Poprad. Tomorrow it is due to reach a high of -7°C.

Silly me volunteered weeks ago to help at tomorrow's Christmas party for parents and children which is being held in the school playground. Still, -7°C will feel warm compared with the -25°C we had a fortnight ago.

Who would actually choose to attend an outdoor party when it's -7C ???  :o

« Reply #2148 on: 13 December, 2010, 09:37:37 pm »
Feels weird reading about the freeze everywhere, when it was +3C on the way home tonight in balmy central London and I was sweatily cursing my buff, winter gloves, earwarmers, windstopper etc...

« Reply #2149 on: 14 December, 2010, 12:07:55 pm »
-14°C in Poprad. Tomorrow it is due to reach a high of -7°C.

Silly me volunteered weeks ago to help at tomorrow's Christmas party for parents and children which is being held in the school playground. Still, -7°C will feel warm compared with the -25°C we had a fortnight ago.

Who would actually choose to attend an outdoor party when it's -7C ???  :o
It's OK if you're properly dressed. I've drunk at an outdoors bar in similar temperatures when there was an indoor bar next door. I (like the many other customers outdoors) was wearing ski gear, & it was uncomfortably hot (at least 15C!) indoors. Besides, they banned dancing on the furniture in ski boots indoors.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897