Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639545 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2175 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »
Today I bought a spade. At the weekend, I intend to go clear the ice from Rankeillor Street. I don't live on Rankeillor Street, but not one of the selfish fuckers who does has made any attempt to clear it, and it's my route to the bus stop.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2176 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:07:56 pm »
Blimey what took you so long?  I've been waiting for someone to get a move on and sort that out.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2177 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:10:42 pm »
Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk

Some pictures from, allegedly, 1962. The main snowfall occurred on the night of 30th December so I'd venture to suggest that the bulk of those pictures were taken in 1963.

I recall the Grauniad publishing one of someone driving an Austin 7 across the Thames ice but sadly they haven't included that. My 8-year-old's brain recalls it as being in central London but clearly it couldn't have been as it's tidal there. OK - there were ice floes at Herne Bay and Southend but there's no way that the Thames could have frozen over because the water level rises and falls so much in the city.

The ice-covered grass reminds me of a radio programme I listened to a few years ago, about the 1962-63 winter. They had interviewed the wife of a Northumbrian shepherd who had been out looking after his flock. He was much later home than usual, but eventually when he arrived he was close to death, she reckoned: he too had been caught in a heavy rainstorm that preceded the snow and it froze to his oilskins on impact. He was covered head to foot in ice when he arrived back.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2178 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:13:10 pm »
Blimey what took you so long?  I've been waiting for someone to get a move on and sort that out.
Homebase were out of spades.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2179 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »
Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk

Some pictures from, allegedly, 1962. The main snowfall occurred on the night of 30th December so I'd venture to suggest that the bulk of those pictures were taken in 1963.

I remember my Dad driving me down to the seaside to look at the ice on the sea. I guess it was probably Sheerness. Someone must have been clearing the roads then.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

LindaG

« Reply #2180 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:28:44 pm »
My Grandad commuted the twelve miles to and from work throughout the winter of 1946-47.  The roads were clear because they dispatched POWs to clear them.

There was still snow on the verges in June.

This was in Surrey, riding between Cobham and Leatherhead.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2181 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:30:13 pm »
Our road was blocked for about half a mile by snowdrifts the depth of the hedge height (about 4' mostly). There were three cars buries up to their roofs and they stayed there for a good 3 weeks until a snow plough deigned to come along and clear the road.

« Reply #2182 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:34:52 pm »
My Dad lived in Caterham on the Hill in Surrey in 1947. He remembers them sending a snowplough along all the roads then taking the snow from the sides and putting on the common. He said the snow took months to melt from the common, by which time it was completely black. He also said they didn't miss a day of school, which is probably the upside (or downside, depending on your point of view!) of teachers living locally.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2183 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »
I remember 62/63 quite well.  I was 13.
I remember the piles of snow where people had cleared paths were still around at easter.
There was one huge one that I would cycle past on my school commute from our village to the town that lasted for ever.  I can't remember exactly how long, but it was at least late april early may.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2184 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »
My Grandad commuted the twelve miles to and from work throughout the winter of 1946-47.  The roads were clear because they dispatched POWs to clear them.

There was still snow on the verges in June.

This was in Surrey, riding between Cobham and Leatherhead.

My dad always maintained that '47 was a harder winter than '62-63.

"Boyo, there was a train stuck at Bargoed for a month!" he would say. The records tell us that '47 was snowier, but 62-63 was the colder by far. The main falls in '47 were in Feb, according to my dad, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1946–1947_in_the_United_Kingdom says that 5th March 1947 brought one of the most vicious blizzards of the 20th century and the wettest March for 30 years.

Blimey!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2185 on: 15 December, 2010, 09:49:01 pm »

"Boyo, there was a train stuck at Bargoed for a month!"

In 1947 there was a train stuck in a snowdrift at Dronley for a week. When they finally dug it out, the locals had pinched all the coal.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2186 on: 15 December, 2010, 10:02:35 pm »
I remember the winter of 1962/63 well as I was just a young lad of 13, it started snowing on Boxing Day. But unfortunately after the Christmas holidays we had to go back to school whether the heater was on or not, many a time we had to sit in class with overcoats on!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2187 on: 15 December, 2010, 11:04:59 pm »
I forgot to mention earlier how clean the air feels when it's cold and dry. It's lovely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2188 on: 16 December, 2010, 07:26:02 am »
We haz sno again. Bah.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2189 on: 16 December, 2010, 10:46:58 am »
I have one or two memories of 62-3. I was very young, & had to be towed around on a sledge because the snow was too deep for me to walk through.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

border-rider

« Reply #2190 on: 16 December, 2010, 10:50:34 am »
I was born that winter.  My mother had to be dug out of the house to get to the local nursing home.

The old boys at Newbury RC told me that they cycled down the Kennet & Avon canal to Devizes on one Sunday run that winter.  And not on the towpath  :o

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2191 on: 16 December, 2010, 11:13:21 am »
Been watching it heading this way on Will It Rain?

It's just arrived in Brum.  And it's rain.  Hurrah!  Not even sleety rain.  Just pouring rain.  :thumbsup:

That should freeze nicely tonight.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2192 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:03:34 pm »
We haz sno again. Bah.

We haz horizontal sno. Cycling home might be tricky tonight  :-\

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2193 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:06:58 pm »
I've just got back from a beautiful forest walk through snow with no other human prints. I am now able to distinguish deer from boar prints.  :) And the sun is shining for the first time in a week.  8)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2194 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:34:49 pm »
There's a set of really nasty severe weather warnings stretching into the foreseeable future, starting with loads of icy roads this evening and snow over the next few days.

In a week's time, though, the solstice will be a thing of the past and summer will be coming. :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2195 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:36:40 pm »
#@! me! Wowbagger's just said something cheerful!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2196 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:37:44 pm »
#@! me! Wowbagger's just said something cheerful!

It was a lie.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2197 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:38:49 pm »
Ah, that's better, normal service is resumed!  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2198 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:41:26 pm »
Ah, that's better, normal service is resumed!  ;)

Have you watched "Money as Debt" and listened to the Nicole Foss leture by any chance? They're terribly depressing.

Sometimes I think I ought to change my YACF name to Marvin.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2199 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:44:34 pm »
First flakes of snow falling here on the Fylde. (Lancashire coast).