Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639552 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2250 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:44:50 am »
-3 here with clear skies.
Partner imaging Orion Nebula...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2251 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:52:22 am »
We always get clear skies AFTER the great meteorites.  >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #2252 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:59:08 am »
Snow was very disappointing - though there was slush on the cycle bridge, so the snow tyres were not a dead loss on the way to pub/curry.  On the way home after midnight, there were lots of icy puddles and once I was off main roads and onto the estate streets it was very icy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2253 on: 17 December, 2010, 07:21:38 am »
Lots of ice out there at the moment.  Just logged on to CAMS.  The ambulance service and A&E are stretched...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2254 on: 17 December, 2010, 10:56:12 am »
Walked into town & got the free bus to work. Saw a car going sideways down one street but it didn't hit anything. Driver obviously not too bright as he floored it afterwards with the entirely predictable wheel spinning & not much progress occurring  ::-)

Not much traffic about, but plenty of lazy gits peering through semi-covered windscreens with lights on but barely visible due to being covered in SNO.

« Reply #2255 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:05:10 am »
I remember taking a driving lesson in the late 1970s & encountering a sheet of ice on a corner. The instructor said "Don't brake!" very urgently, then when we'd got far enough round (mostly moving sideways) said "Gently give it some gas - gently!".

Never forgotten that, largely because I spent much of it looking out of the side window at a parked car we were sliding towards - me first. Didn't get there, luckily.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2256 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:17:35 am »
I remember taking a driving lesson in the late 1970s & encountering a sheet of ice on a corner. The instructor said "Don't brake!" very urgently, then when we'd got far enough round (mostly moving sideways) said "Gently give it some gas - gently!".

Never forgotten that, largely because I spent much of it looking out of the side window at a parked car we were sliding towards - me first. Didn't get there, luckily.

My test was scheduled for Jan 1984 (I think) in Glasgow. It had been a terrible winter - water mains frozen in the street in the neighboring close, and some poor souls had their external waste pipes freeze  :sick:

The day arrived with many roads covered in snow and ice - but my instructor turned up. The test was off, but he took me to residential street where we practiced emergency stops and skid control  8)  It was great fun being sideways across the road - rather than facing the wrong way if I hadn't countersteered.  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2257 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:23:40 am »
Bucks/Northants lovely and clear and freezing. Commute this am was fine - roads dry and gritted.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2258 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:25:23 am »
-2°C here at the moment. I've been to the doc's and the chemist's. Very cold!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #2259 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:26:31 am »
It snowed a tad here this morning but it's sunny again now and all disappearing fast.  Fabulous day, though.  I must go for a run in a bit :)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2260 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:34:00 am »
Got a very snowed in image of Swansea and the Mumbles from my mother this morning. They went to bed last night and there was no snow. They've woken up this morning to 5 inches of snow. They are snowed in but have provisions.

« Reply #2261 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:34:32 am »
It's just started in SW20. Not lots, but more than a dusting.
Rust never sleeps

simonp

« Reply #2262 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:35:29 am »
Snow tyres this morning again: worth it this time, lots of ice, especially on the cycle path across Coldhams Common.

« Reply #2263 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:35:50 am »
-3 here with clear skies.
Partner imaging Orion Nebula...

I keep meaning to get out with my new ED scope to do this but am driven indoors by (a) the cold (b) moonlight (c) clouds (d) the temptation of a glass of wine (e) the increasingly orange tinge in the sky and the lack of LP filter on my camera (f) the knowledge that I'll have to get up early the next morning and (g) the effort involved in getting decent polar alignment as I lack a suitable roll-off roof and have to set up afresh every time I want to observe.

And the planets have been rubbish lately - all wobbly and shimmery.

hey ho

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #2264 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:36:58 am »
Lying in BS7 sickbed full of cold, watching fluffy snowflakes drift past the window. I'm told it was -4 this morning.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #2265 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:42:33 am »
Just started in SE1. Woo!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2266 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:43:50 am »
And in the City, but quite light.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2267 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:45:52 am »
Getting heavier in Euston.

It's ok though, I have my beeyooteeful 'denim' rainlegs with me for the journey home  ::-)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2268 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:47:36 am »

It's ok though, I have my beeyooteeful 'denim' rainlegs with me for the journey home  ::-)

Though you paint an interesting picture, with the low temperatures you may wish to consider some additional clothing.

IGMC

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2269 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:48:25 am »
Its snowing in SE13, but rather unenthusiastically.

« Reply #2270 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:49:59 am »

Though you paint an interesting picture, with the low temperatures you may wish to consider some additional clothing.

IGMC

It'd reduce the amount of SMIDSYs though, wouldn't it?

« Reply #2271 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:51:50 am »
Just started in SE1. Woo!

Started very light, now much heavier and settling.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2272 on: 17 December, 2010, 11:53:41 am »

IGMC

It'd reduce the amount of SMIDSYs though, wouldn't it?

While probably increasing the number of crashes around you!

Snow getting heavy here in the City.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2273 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:06:28 pm »
Woooo, its coming down heavy here now in SE13!

« Reply #2274 on: 17 December, 2010, 12:09:54 pm »
Plenty falling here (S Oxon/Bucks Borders)
Looks like I won't be taking MiniQ to her piano lesson on the tandem this afternoon.