Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639576 times)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2450 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:13:38 am »
Trip to and from South Wales on the weekend - roads were fine up to Newport when the Welsh must have run out of grit. Onwards up the valley was 'interesting' but the little old Corsa did good, even getting up the steep icy hill outside Mr M's parents house. I've never heard the engine make that noise before though! Had to dig it out with our 'snow removal device' (yep, it's a spade) to come back, but once we'd done that it was fine. Saw -7.5 on the thermometer in the car as we went past Birmingham at 3pm. I can't believe our crappy old car is the best thing on the road, but maybe it is!!

Contrast that with my nice four mile walk to work pushing my bike through Cambridge this morning as there isn't a grain of salt on any of the main roads. Must be too cold for council workers  ::-)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #2451 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:16:41 am »
We checked the temperature before we left at 7pm last night, -13. by midnight it was up to -10, as cloud came in, it fell back to -12 this morning,

« Reply #2452 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:24:19 am »
7pm last night, -13
:o bloody hell that cold
it was a warm -6 in Southampton early this morning, new we have sleet and 0c

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2453 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:31:14 am »
Contrast that with my nice four mile walk to work pushing my bike through Cambridge this morning as there isn't a grain of salt on any of the main roads. Must be too cold for council workers  ::-)
Thanks for the update; I was hoping to use Brompton & Train to get from (my_house) Derby to (Mums_house) Cambridge sometime in the next few days, and I didn't know what the snow situation was there.  I may leave the Brompton in Derby (where there's no snow at all), and use boots instead.  It's only about 20 mins walk from Cambridge station to Mums_house.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2454 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:33:56 am »
This is a pic of the A38 between Bristol and Axbridge about an hour ago taken through my windscreen. The stuff that looks like grit is actually compacted ice now.

« Reply #2455 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:40:00 am »
-13C on Saturday night and "only" -12.1C in our garden last night in Warwick. It's a dank day here and hovering at -7C just before noon, so I don't expect any dramatic rise in temperature today...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2456 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:43:35 am »
Snowing now. Yay!!!
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2457 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:53:42 am »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #2458 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:56:29 am »
Thanks for the update; I was hoping to use Brompton & Train to get from (my_house) Derby to (Mums_house) Cambridge sometime in the next few days, and I didn't know what the snow situation was there.  I may leave the Brompton in Derby (where there's no snow at all), and use boots instead.  It's only about 20 mins walk from Cambridge station to Mums_house.

No problem....the snow may melt of course, then you will wish you had a bike with you!
Some people were riding, but I didn't feel safe with half frozen brakes on top the icy roads...it is possible to ride though. I am v. paranoid about falling onto ice. There was definitely no salt or grit down on any of the roads I used (Hills Road, St Andrews Street, Castle Hill, Histon Road)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

« Reply #2459 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:04:05 pm »
 I am v. paranoid about falling onto ice. There was definitely no salt or grit down on any of the roads

Not Paranoia, tis common sense
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2460 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:12:23 pm »
Falling onto ice isn't so bad - there's less friction, so you don't get that sensation of suddenly stopping - you just slide to a halt. Plus, far less chance of ripping clothing. But falling onto snow is nicer - it cushions the landing a bit.

<---- Highly experienced at falling off!  ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #2461 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:16:20 pm »
Snowing at Oxford station now...local (RAF Benson) temperature's risen from a chilly -13 to -12 then up to -9

« Reply #2462 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:17:13 pm »
Are you train spotting, are there any  :-\
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2463 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »
York is still chilly, and there was a very impressive layer of frost everywhere when I put the bins out at dark o'clock this morning, but still not actually snowing.  Dearly_Beloved is getting a bit twitchy about our planned big trip (Barrow, Brighton, Hertford) though.

« Reply #2464 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:47:56 pm »
The temperature in Wandsworth climbed up to the dizzy heights of 3 degrees at about 11.30 this morning, but it has now dropped back to 2o despite the sun being out.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2465 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:52:09 pm »
We have been told that all staff must leave in time for their journies to be completed during daylight.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2466 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:52:52 pm »
Snow showers in Frimley now, not really stopping at any point but just pulsing in intensity. Getting home could be interesting if my driver (Dad)  ;) delays leaving his office too long.

« Reply #2467 on: 20 December, 2010, 12:56:04 pm »
Snowing in Reading now. We had a little shower of very fine snow about 11.30, when I was getting in some firewood, & now we're getting proper flakes.

Main roads are clear, well-gritted, but our street is untouched. Mrs B went out with the ash from last night's fire to put in front of the front wheels this morning.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2468 on: 20 December, 2010, 01:02:50 pm »
Q. What's white and fucks up your commute?

A. Charles Horton.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2469 on: 20 December, 2010, 01:17:17 pm »
-6 in E17 at ~07:30; -11 in Harlot at 08:45.  Harlot almost totally gridlocked coz some numpty lorry driver got stuck.  Currently nice and sunny and I think no SNO since Saturday afternoon chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2470 on: 20 December, 2010, 01:31:32 pm »
Minus two at Northolt at midday today.
Sunny here.
No recent precipitation.

border-rider

« Reply #2471 on: 20 December, 2010, 01:36:46 pm »
Mrs MV just sent herself home.  I'm relieved.  Could take a while to get back though.

I just spoke to a local company we're trying to get a quote from for a new kitchen, and the chap said that his son had set off for Coleford this morning and hadn't been heard of since ;)

« Reply #2472 on: 20 December, 2010, 01:40:55 pm »
-6 in E17 at ~07:30; -11 in Harlot at 08:45.  Harlot almost totally gridlocked coz some numpty lorry driver got stuck.  Currently nice and sunny and I think no SNO since Saturday afternoon chiz.

Bikini weather then  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2473 on: 20 December, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »
It is inside the office.  I've had to take my jumper off for fear of boiling over.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2474 on: 20 December, 2010, 02:34:22 pm »
Here in Mos Eisley Pompey, it's like a baby's bottom - wet and windy.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche