Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639444 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2475 on: 20 December, 2010, 02:35:49 pm »
-19.6c last night here in Chesham [Bucks]. This place is not exactly the Highlands. but boy oh boy it really is a frost pocket round here, especially where this weather station is situated.
It was -10 walking back from the pub last night. That is well taters.
Garry Broad

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2476 on: 20 December, 2010, 02:41:18 pm »
It is inside the office.  I've had to take my jumper off for fear of boiling over.
I hate buildings like that.  It's no fun being too cold outside, and too hot inside.  Dressing for the conditions is so much more difficult in these situations.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2477 on: 20 December, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »
Down in London last night to see Nerdstock at the Bloomsbury theatre.

Travelled back to Chester today with no problems (only an hour late due to signal problems*)

No new snow here but -10.5 at 1400 according to the Uni weather station.

* For a while we had to stop at each signal to get permission to proceed

The roads I could see from the train looked dodgy :hand:
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

border-rider

« Reply #2478 on: 20 December, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »
Mrs MV got back a while ago; she was the only thing moving when she did, and was passing abandoned 4x4s on the main road hill out of Monmouth. Yeah for winter tyres :)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2479 on: 20 December, 2010, 03:58:35 pm »
I'm planning on driving down to Cambridge (Little Thetford) to see Kevin as D-Tek in the morning. Anyone know what the roads are like from Stoke, down the M6, A14 to Huntingdon - and able to tell me if I am being stupid for even thinking of it.

As far as I can tell, no snow forecast for the route tomorrow, and there has been none since Friday/Saturday.

Ely area seems to be better than Cambridge - but the A14 is fairly dicey at the moment and further snow is expected tonight.

To be honest, I'd suggest some delayed gratification is in order.  Is your journey vital?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2480 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:40:38 pm »
It's peeing with rain now, nice slushy roads, hope it doesn't freeze tonight or we will be right in the slip

« Reply #2481 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:55:27 pm »
I'm planning on driving down to Cambridge (Little Thetford) to see Kevin as D-Tek in the morning. Anyone know what the roads are like from Stoke, down the M6, A14 to Huntingdon - and able to tell me if I am being stupid for even thinking of it.

As far as I can tell, no snow forecast for the route tomorrow, and there has been none since Friday/Saturday.

Ely area seems to be better than Cambridge - but the A14 is fairly dicey at the moment and further snow is expected tonight.

To be honest, I'd suggest some delayed gratification is in order.  Is your journey vital?

Quite localised falls - the snow didn't seem to get much past Cambridge going North.  We are halfway between Cambridge and Huntingdon on the A14, and have seen bugger all.

« Reply #2482 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:56:56 pm »
Snopocalypse arrived in Dorset between 9 and 11 this morning. We went out for a yomp to see what the score was - main roads on slight inclines at a standstill and the bypass round town shut. The idiots still ventured out in their cars:

YouTube
        - How to drive in snow, December 2010

Got out on the MTB in the afternoon; didn't need to venture too far away from town to have a lot of fun (and a lot of 'rether you than me' comments). No falls, no submissions, lots of laffs. :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2483 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:04:22 pm »
Though it's not entirely surprising, this *is* 2010.

Yay!  I live in Teh Future (TM). :thumbsup:
My reaction exactly!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2484 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »

Yay!  I live in Teh Future (TM). :thumbsup:
My reaction exactly!

This isn't the future: I don't have a jetpack!  >:( :'(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #2485 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »
North Dorset today.

Main road

Not everybody had fun in the snow (although the tracks are snowed in so happened earlier or yesterday)

Quite deep on the fields

« Reply #2486 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:41:54 pm »

Yay!  I live in Teh Future (TM). :thumbsup:
My reaction exactly!

This isn't the future: I don't have a jetpack!  >:( :'(

The problem is, we overtook the future.

Back in the early 80s, there were quite a few books predicting what life in the 21st Century would be like - let's just say that the future isn't what it used to be.  ;)

We now return you to rants at folks taking vehicles out in unsuitable conditions...

EDIT: Still wanna jetpack, I'll pass on the bacofoil jumpsuits, though...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2487 on: 20 December, 2010, 05:51:18 pm »
The snow in the middle of town is about ten feet deep!

Where they have dumped all the stuff cleared from a car park.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2488 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:08:36 pm »
+1°C in Londonton. No precipitation so far. Thaw likely.

simonp

« Reply #2489 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:10:16 pm »

Is it heading our way?  Currently -5.6 in Cambridge.  Which is warmer than it was at midday.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2490 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:15:28 pm »

Is it heading our way?  Currently -5.6 in Cambridge.  Which is warmer than it was at midday.

Supposed to be -5 to -6 tonight in Cambridge...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2491 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:33:44 pm »
We've had a MAHOOSIVE dump in Monmouthshire.  Proper snowed-in in the valley at the moment!

« Reply #2492 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:38:33 pm »
Snowing again here in NW Kent.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

border-rider

« Reply #2493 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:46:10 pm »
We've had a MAHOOSIVE dump in Monmouthshire.  Proper snowed-in in the valley at the moment!

We're not too bad up here. 3-4".  The road may be entertaining

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2494 on: 20 December, 2010, 06:52:13 pm »
Snowing quite heavily in Lewisham! Why???? Bloody Met Office, we were not expecting this until Wednesday  >:(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2495 on: 20 December, 2010, 07:26:46 pm »
Well net weather and the beep did say that there would be snow this afternoon in London, it just missed out on SW6 :(
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #2496 on: 20 December, 2010, 09:02:08 pm »
Snowing quite heavily in Lewisham! Why???? Bloody Met Office, we were not expecting this until Wednesday  >:(
More or less stopped now, and it doesn't seem to add up to more than a few millimetres. It may even make the pavements easier. The earlier thaw combined with a chill about dusk made an icy layer which did for a colleague in Deptford, who broke her leg on leaving work. Ugg-alike boots with a slick sole won't have helped.
Not especially helpful or mature

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2497 on: 20 December, 2010, 09:03:16 pm »
No more snow today, but our boiler froze up....

« Reply #2498 on: 20 December, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »
It started snowing on my commute at Mitcham Eastfields station. It got progressively more determined until it was quite serious by the time I got home. It's still snowing 2 hours later.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2499 on: 20 December, 2010, 09:08:40 pm »

We're not too bad up here. 3-4".  The road may be entertaining

We had 4-6" today, on top of what was already here.  It's -7 too!