Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 639460 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #2500 on: 20 December, 2010, 10:42:51 pm »
+1°C in Londonton. No precipitation so far. Thaw likely.

That was over optimistic ;)

It R snowing!  I just got back with the bike from some late Christmas shopping and the air is full of big, tufty snowflakes drifting down as if this were some BBC period drama.  If this keeps up - and it's been going solidly for 40 minutes - tomorrow's commute is going to be even more interesting than todays.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2501 on: 20 December, 2010, 10:44:33 pm »
We've had very light frozen drizzle for quite a while. It's taken about 3 hours just to dust the pavement where Dez cleared it. I think the temperature is scarcely below freezing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Martin

« Reply #2502 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:08:58 pm »
Another 5cm of pathetic fluffy stuff tonight, despite the fact that most of our town's (2 wheel drive) cars are still stuck in the roads I'm very impressed with the train service this time, maybe 5-10 min delays.

had another walk out foraging for holly with berries last night; the ungritted roads are just like a proper skating rink; all shiny white. I still blame the volcano.

border-rider

« Reply #2503 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:11:16 pm »
had another walk out foraging for holly with berries last night;

find any ?

I found exactly one berry yesterday. birds are hungry.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2504 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:11:53 pm »
We have holly with loads of berries.  :smug:
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #2505 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:17:59 pm »
had another walk out foraging for holly with berries last night;

find any ?

I found exactly one berry yesterday. birds are hungry.

yes quite a lot (but confined to a couple of bushes about 200m from our house; I made Zoom jr #2 walk the long 3km way round to get to them though as otherwise he would have stayed indoors all weekend)

Top Tip; I got one of those chains of red balls for Xmas trees, cut them into little lengths of 4-5 balls; spray with Humbrol post office red, attach a bit of green garden wire and hey presto instant holly with berries  ;) they are on about their 15th year, IIRC I devised this to stop Zoom Jr #1 eating any real berries that fell off

that's nice to see (NHM innit?); I half expected it to be cancelled due to "inclement weather"

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2506 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:23:25 pm »
Yes, Natural History Museum. The snow settles very well on the ice, naturally, and they had to clear it off between each hour-long session. I was impressed with the organisation, but it did cost a lot.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2507 on: 20 December, 2010, 11:25:02 pm »
Was supposed to be going to Tenerife for my parents' Golden Wedding tomorrow, just seen that the flight's been cancelled. Not happy :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2508 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:45:23 am »
Bloody Hell.  Weather Man on R4 has just said it was minus 18 last night at Pershore (nearest weather station to Bournville)
No wonder my commute on the Pershore was chilly.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2509 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:54:59 am »
You've said that twice.

A good evening, was it?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2510 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:59:31 am »
To be fair, with weather that cold, it's worth posting twice.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2511 on: 21 December, 2010, 07:28:58 am »
You've said that twice.

A good evening, was it?  ;)

Bloody crap phone.

One's been binned.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2512 on: 21 December, 2010, 08:19:28 am »
I think that's the first time I've ever been in a bus that had ice on the inside of the windows.

I cleared myself a wee porthole to peer out but it had frozen over again when I got off 20 minutes later
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2513 on: 21 December, 2010, 08:56:16 am »
Had you managed to wee out of it before it froze over again?

« Reply #2514 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:26:57 am »
No, I didn't fancy getting frostbite down there.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2515 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:46:24 am »
Yes, Natural History Museum. The snow settles very well on the ice, naturally, and they had to clear it off between each hour-long session. I was impressed with the organisation, but it did cost a lot.

We went last year and I complained afterwards because the 'kids' area was absolutely lethal - no handrails, no 'penguins' for the littlies to use to keep themselves upright, incredibly bad surface because it didn't get cleared (unlike the main rink which got done between each session) and the only way to access it was to go against the flow or to get more than 3/4 of the way the right way round the main rink - and if you could do that you didn't need to be in the little people bit.  The only real saving grace was that (after the third time that an adult fell over and nearly squashed the smallest cub resulting in many tears and him not wanting to stay on the ice) they let me trade in my skates for a pair for Dearly_Beloved so that he could join the EldestCub and the friends we were with.  They never answered my complaint either, now I think about it.  Although they do have penguins this year.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2516 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:04:09 am »
At 6am our flight was still cancelled. At 715 it showed on the wesite as reinstated but delayed. Cue mad dash to airport. Now waiting for an update but en route :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2517 on: 21 December, 2010, 10:07:45 am »
Hovering around freezing in Harlot.  Brief flurry of SNO at around 08:00.  Possibility of more in the N. Londonton / W. Essex tonight but I suspect it'll be as rubbish as the previous lot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

border-rider

« Reply #2518 on: 21 December, 2010, 11:30:17 am »
I took Mrs MV to work today because my car had more chance of getting the first 200 m

Loads of cars still abandoned on the main road - mostly high end stuff like Mercs and Saabs

It's still very cold here but no more snow

« Reply #2519 on: 21 December, 2010, 11:50:23 am »
Its melting here.
Someone in the street was out with a big snow shovel taking the compacted snow off and leaving the hard icy stuff underneath. I then went out with a metal spade and scraped the icy layer off so that when it re-freezes the road has some chance of being more passable rather than less.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2520 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:04:19 pm »
There's a slow thaw here as well. 1°C when I looked at about 9.30. Heavy rain is forecast for later, and no more frost until tomorrow, allegedly.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2521 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:46:50 pm »
My mains water has stopped (again).  There's no evidence of water dribbling/squirting/gushing out of the ground, so I'm hoping that it's just the pipe under my drive that has frozen.

Must be me - my neighbour's kitchen tap is issuing water OK.

Some warmer weather please.  kthxbai.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2522 on: 21 December, 2010, 03:40:35 pm »
On an MTB ride this morning:

Nicht unterstüzter Browser | Facebook
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2523 on: 21 December, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »
- 18oC right now and the temperature are still going down.
Seems like my rohloff equiped bike will stay inside tomorrow.  :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2524 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:36:03 pm »
I slipped on what seemed to be frozen petrol today. Snow to the left of me, snow to the right of me, compacted by traffic with a fluffy layer of snow and sand on top. But right between them is an intermittent band of tarmac worn clear by car tyres, so I walk along it, then - woops! Looking down there was a small puddle-shaped bobble-surfaced area of thin blue-black ice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.