Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517367 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Am I the only one to have lavatorial thoughts?

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
No, but I'm glad you said it first..

Have been making soup, if I make it in the slow cooker I put onions in first to sweat then some garlic.  Till they all sweat and become sweet.  Then I add the additions to make the soup such as the recent one I made with tinned spinach and roast sweet potato then adding some homemade chicken stock.  Then I added some coconut milk from the concentrated coconut block.  Tasted great.

If I make a soup in the pressure cooker, I will put everything in the pot then cook the ingredients quickly but the soup comes out bland.

What am I doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong, if you don't sweat things off a bit first they don't really have time to release and develop their flavour, I (personal thought) think that a pressure cooker, like a slow cooker is only good for certain things, sometimes a good old pan (an in betweeny) is best for some things and soup or a stew is one of them, yes it needs attention from the cook but what better excuse to share a glass of wine in the kitchen while you do it
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
AIUI onions need to be hotter than a pressure cooker to part caramelise,
Frying and hot roasting/baking will do this.
A pressure cooker won't.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Am I the only one to have lavatorial thoughts?

Everybody at the table did.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
No, but I'm glad you said it first..

Think Santander...

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Oh,  wow.  This Co-op Lemonmisu is to die for.
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
For the first time in $too_many_years, I made my own curry tonight. From whole spices to table took about an hour.

Bloody lovely it was, too. Shall have to stock up on spices and do it again, soon!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

For the first time in $too_many_years, I made my own curry tonight. From whole spices to table took about an hour.

Bloody lovely it was, too. Shall have to stock up on spices and do it again, soon!
Most interested in the details of your recipe.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Cadbury's Milk Tray are HORRIBLE! I must be getting old...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin

Shall write it up and post.  No chilis are harmed in the making of said curry as Mrs T can tolerate Capsacin (I think that's the name of it, the stuff in pepper and chilis that give it heat), though it is easy to add said chilis, if desired.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

Some meats improve if being marinaded.  would you like my butter chicken recipe?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
AIUI onions need to be hotter than a pressure cooker to part caramelise,
Frying and hot roasting/baking will do this.
A pressure cooker won't.

I slow cook the onions, sweat the onions they become really sweet IMO.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Brining a turkey, is that a good or bad idea?

If you mean 'chucking it in the sea and cooking something else', yes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

Americans can argue about brining for approximately forever. I'm not sure we should join them. Someone, somewhere along the way, decided that all meat must be moist, and thus the tyranny was born.

Brining works, I've tried it, you get moist meat. The problem is that it's pretty much just water and you've created a turkey sponge. Turkey is a dry meat, that's why you have sauce. It's not supposed to ooze water like an incontinent elderly relative.

I dry salt it overnight, rinse it, and then throw it in the slow cooker with a bit of white wine and some sage first thing and leave it to cook on low all day (as we don't eat till the evening). Job done. You can finish in the oven if you want skin, I'm not so bothered. It doesn't take carving either, it pretty much falls off the bone which is a boon to the lazy like me. Not to mention by that hour I'll be on my umpteenth martini and my wife will have hidden all the knives.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Well I brined and add a few herbs and spices.  Now, after 12 hours, I'm letting the turkey dry in the fridge till it gets cooked tomorrow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
From the local baker's this morning, 3.50 € the lot:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!

I read that as 'binning the turkey'...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Yeah, ditto. Bloody boring birds but the Inlaw Paw expects, and every Christmas might be his last so here we go yet again.

Druther have goose or capon.  Sister has been doing Beef Wellington since the Relief of Mafeking.  I like the version using fillet and foie gras.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We will have a chicken cos there are only two of us and we aren't that partial to turkey anyway.
Chicken goes well with all the turkey trimmings, which himself mostly likes. He's not that fond of Brussels sprouts; if I find some archive sprouts in the freezer, we'll have them but if not, not.

In other news, the Lindt chocolate BEAR and Santa seem to have vanished from my Sainsbury's order; they were present in my confirmatory email of 4 December but absent when I revised my order the day before delivery, though I didn't notice. There was never any mention of these items being out of stock, which I presume is the reason for their absence.
I did notice that my order seemed to be £10 less than the order had been when I had placed it.

If he ever gets out of the house, he might forage for a BEAR.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
David did indeed go out foraging for a Lindt BEAR, Santa or reindeer but none were to be found.
He is sad.
I will have to get my seasonal chocolates delivered earlier next year.

He can't have found any Easter bunnies, it would seem.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The Easter bunnies are in Aldi, wearing reindeer costumes.